PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump

moombamaniac
07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Can someone explain to me the details about water in a boat. My 2008 Moomba Outback always has water under the engine. Also the bilge pump comes on automatically and pumps water out. Does this mean I have a leak somewhere? I had some work done on the boat over the winter and so far the workmanship has not proven to be very good so I'm worried. The shaft going to the prop and some fins and some fiberglass were repaired or replaced from where the boat was bottomed out last summer. The bilge pump never came on by itself to my knowledge last summer but I'm new to all this so maybe I never noticed it. Anyway I'm just in the dark about all the water issues with a boat. Also the ballast bag was never hooked back up by the repair shop. Could this be where my water intake problem is? Also there is this small pannel on the floor between the drivers and passenger seat. It has a plug in it. That area always has water in it. The boat is at the marina and never comes out of the water so I don't get a chance to pull it out and take out all the plugs and drain everything out. Is this something that can cause a problem?

Thanks alot for any help.

deerfield
07-26-2009, 10:27 PM
moombamaniac - Same boat but one year older (mine is the '07). Only time I have lots of water in the bilge is when I take a roller over the bow. Otherwise, a day on the lake results in only about enough water in the bilge to fill a coffee can. Compared to my experience it sounds like a leak in your plumbing or a fitting. - Deerfield

zegm
07-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Its too bad the boat is at the Marina! One great way to see where it is leaking is to pull it out of the water, But leave the plug in and watch and see where the water leaks back through the hull! In all the years of owning an inboard I have always had a little bit of water in the hull but not enough to make the bilge turn on.

moombamaniac
07-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Sounds like I have a leak then because I didn't take on any water over the bow (this time) and I had alot of water. I guess I will have to find a way to pull it out and take a look at it. Thanks...will keep you posted on what the problem is. :confused:

gcnettl
07-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Your shaft packing prob needs adjusting. You can search one here and find out how. You should have a drip every 20 to 30 seconds too keep the packing wet and from getting hot and burning. Since your shaft was replaced, I would say this is what it is.

deafgoose
07-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Do you have the gravity system as an option on your boat?

If so fill up the ballast and look for leaks.