PDA

View Full Version : Video: 2008 Moomba Outback V Wakesufing with 2400lb of ballast

deafgoose
07-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I filled all 3 ballast bags of the gravity3 system (1200lb) and I added two Sumo Sacs on the surf side (750lb + 450lb). I put the wakeplate 1/4 up @ 10.5mph. Only 2 people were in the boat.

Note: The stock prop was replaced with an OJ 14x14.25 wakeboard prop to handle all the weight!

Don't laugh too hard at my video editing skills. This is my first time with windows movie maker. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpSZWuGDLuo

Mikey
07-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Awesome video. I like it.

deerfield
07-26-2009, 10:21 PM
deaf - I think you did a great job with the edit. Fun to see the falls, too. You ever get hit by the surf board? - Deerfield

deafgoose
07-26-2009, 10:59 PM
deaf - I think you did a great job with the edit. Fun to see the falls, too. You ever get hit by the surf board? - Deerfield

Thanks!

I have never been hit by my board yet. I just hope that we catch it on video when it happens. :p

mmandley
07-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Awesome video man. I love that song too LOL.

Was that your other half in the blue shorts? I liked the plug your nose at the end on the last fall LOL.

Looks like some good times man.

jmvotto
07-27-2009, 07:05 AM
great video. is that what i need to surf behind my obv

Joe

moombadaze
07-27-2009, 07:56 AM
goose, great videao.

Question, why are you filling all 3 bags on the gravity 3?

Jeff W
07-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Great vid and editing. That chick can surf. Loved the in-water shots.

deafgoose
07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Awesome video man. I love that song too LOL.

Was that your other half in the blue shorts? I liked the plug your nose at the end on the last fall LOL.

Looks like some good times man.

Yeah, that my gf Izzy. We have been dating for 10years now.

goose, great videao.

Question, why are you filling all 3 bags on the gravity 3?

The more weight the better. The extra 1200lb that I add to the surf side is enough to tilt the boat.

Great vid and editing. That chick can surf. Loved the in-water shots.

Yeah, she is getting good.

We only have 140hrs on our boat since we bought it last year. Most of that time we spent wakeboarding. We only recently started surfing.

moombadaze
07-27-2009, 01:41 PM
The more weight the better. The extra 1200lb that I add to the surf side is enough to tilt the boat.

Yeah, she is getting good.

goose-I was wondering why you would fill the offside up with ballast-is that not counterproductive? to getting a good tilt.

Yes your girl was fun to watch-looked like she was having a blast.

kfechner
07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Try this too...lift the wakeplate all the way up and then empty the middle all the way....drop your speed to 9.8 and let us know.

jester
07-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the post. Now i know what i need to go to get a better wake for surfing on the 08 OBV.

deafgoose
07-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Try this too...lift the wakeplate all the way up and then empty the middle all the way....drop your speed to 9.8 and let us know.

Hmm.. that's interesting. What would that accomplish?

mmandley
07-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Draining the center and putting the wake plate all the way up will allow the nose of the boat to rise and push the back deeper into the water.

I was trying this this weekend myself and it does make a different size and curl on my wave.

I went back to filling the center, putting the wake plate up and right around 10 and got a nice wave with some distance to the pocket. 2 people were able to free rope it finally so its a matter of me getting my balance and stance on the board down.

Dubwake21
08-01-2009, 04:06 PM
But...losing your bow weight will shorten the sweetspot...Just my 2 cents, I fill the bow, and I fill only my 750 on the surf side, with wake plate all the way up, and I can get that same wake, or at least very similar without 1200 extra pounds on my 08 ObV...

The Squeaky Wheel
08-03-2010, 10:45 AM
But...losing your bow weight will shorten the sweetspot...Just my 2 cents, I fill the bow, and I fill only my 750 on the surf side, with wake plate all the way up, and I can get that same wake, or at least very similar without 1200 extra pounds on my 08 ObV...

I'm late to the party but maybe someone can help.

I want to add ballast to my '07 OBV with Gravity 3.
Do those sumo sacs replace the stock bags or is it an addition to the system?

Do they go in compartments or on seats? And how are they filled? Any way to tie them into the stock ballast fill system?

you da man
08-03-2010, 05:39 PM
goose-I was wondering why you would fill the offside up with ballast-is that not counterproductive? to getting a good tilt.

Yes your girl was fun to watch-looked like she was having a blast.

IF you have the listed over really good ( few inches from rubrail) a few hundred pounds in the opposite side v-drive sac will sink the boat just a little extra to get more push to the wake especially at the back of pocket

deafgoose
08-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm late to the party but maybe someone can help.

I want to add ballast to my '07 OBV with Gravity 3.
Do those sumo sacs replace the stock bags or is it an addition to the system?

Do they go in compartments or on seats? And how are they filled? Any way to tie them into the stock ballast fill system?

I use the 750lb on the rear port side seats and 450lb on the front port side seats. You will need to pull the rear bench seat and put it up against the rear port seats because the 750 is really wide.

I also added 125lb sumo sac and it does make a difference when we have less people in the boat.

Frank Smith
08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
If you ever want to try surfing behind an XLV let me knoe were only 30 min away.

deafgoose
08-22-2010, 09:03 PM
If you ever want to try surfing behind an XLV let me knoe were only 30 min away.

Thanks for the offer but we dont wakesurf much anymore.

We are all about wakeboarding and wakeskating now! :)