PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Ballast

mofierka
07-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Just thought I would post a couple pics of my completed project. I pretty much copied newty and his setup. He also gave me some good advice.
I basically added a bow sac and upgraded my rear sacs to 750 lbs. I built a new housing that holds four valves and is fed on each side by the two pumps. I also added a switch so I could fill and empty the bow sac just like the others. I upgraded all the hoses, fitting and valves to 1". There are alot of other minor details that I could bore you with. Just ask if curious.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r4/fierka/P7250143.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r4/fierka/P7250147.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r4/fierka/P7250146.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r4/fierka/P7250151.jpg

sandm
07-26-2009, 09:15 AM
did you notice a dramatic fill time difference with the 750's?
I am only filling a 400 in the center and a 750 in the back corner, but it takes 15 minutes to fill the 750, so thinking of adding the 1" upgrade and a 4th valve to plug into the extra hole on the 750 bag..

mmandley
07-26-2009, 12:26 PM
did you notice a dramatic fill time difference with the 750's?
I am only filling a 400 in the center and a 750 in the back corner, but it takes 15 minutes to fill the 750, so thinking of adding the 1" upgrade and a 4th valve to plug into the extra hole on the 750 bag..

Are you talking about changing your whole system to 1inch? Just changing the lines wont matter as the supply to the pump is 3/4 still from my understanding.

It looks like a nice system Mofierka

I drooled over Newty's setup a few times ive been around his boat. I hope to get some kind of setup like both of you have later this winter. I'm pretty nervous about the ballast system i just don't know plumbing that well LOL.

jester
07-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Nice setup you have. Do you know what your fill times are now?

Are you talking about changing your whole system to 1inch? Just changing the lines wont matter as the supply to the pump is 3/4 still from my understanding.

It looks like a nice system Mofierka

I drooled over Newty's setup a few times ive been around his boat. I hope to get some kind of setup like both of you have later this winter. I'm pretty nervous about the ballast system i just don't know plumbing that well LOL.

Mike, Don't worry about plumming issues tht is what the buildge pump is for :D

mofierka
07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
To tell you the truth the one time I went out, I didn't even fill the rear bags. I did test each of the valves to make sure they worked and make sure that there were no leaks in the system. It was late and the girlfriend wanted to ride. She usually rides with the center sac filled and doesn't like a massive wake, so the fill time test will have to wait until tomorrow. I did fill the center sac and it seemed to take no time at all. By the time I got the rope out, untangled and hooked up, the sac was full. I will do a time test with the new system soon. Would have helped if I timed the original system to have some kind of comparison. Does anyone know how long it takes to fill the original system?

mmandley, don't worry about the plumbing. Its all laid out there for you. All you have to do is replace the original setup.

newty
07-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Nice work! Looks good.
Mandley having larger hose will def increase flow now especially now that he has two pumps filling the system. For example two 1400 gph pumps into the floor sack will will fill in half the time because he has doubled his flow capacity.Maybe not so much when your filling multiple sacks but it will never hurt.

mofierka
07-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks NEWTY. I am taking her out tomorrow. I'm goin to test the fill times. I also bought a irritrol 700 valve $60 , going to see if there is a big difference from the other valves. I heard it has a higher rate of flow than the others. It better at $60 a pop.

Fman
08-01-2009, 12:51 AM
I just finished my re-do on my '08 22V Supra. I added 3 tsunami pumps, and completely changed the manifold to 3/4" brass. I can fill my entire 2000 lb system in about 8 minutes. The tsunami 800's put out about 13.4 GPM per pump. I have a seperate tsunami 800 on each bag, I tested it all week at Shasta lake and it works very well. No problems with priming, and I now have NO SPRINKLER valves either to fail and reduce flow. Also grinded the scupper off the bottom intake grate and added vented loops to eleviate the bags from filling while plaining the boat. Total project was under $300.

I will post some pictures this week of the entire project.

newty
08-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Congrats Fman cant wait to see the pics. That might be my next winter project.

tazz3069
08-01-2009, 04:24 PM
FMAN
glad to hear that everything worked out for you. I still need to grind off the scuppers. I might leave the front side on to prevent crap from going into the pumps. Post pictures when you have a chance. I want to compare on the install that I did.
Tazz

ShaunD
07-08-2017, 08:49 PM
I just bought some new orbit valves for my 08 22 ssv. I was just reading the box and noticed it takes a minimum of 18v for the solenoid to operate. Just wondering if the valves you put on are some you bought from lowes or home depot?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KnoxMojo
07-09-2017, 04:52 AM
You may want to start your own thread as this one is almost 8 years old that you've revived