PDA

View Full Version : vinyl is junk

04moblsv
07-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I have an 04 Mobius LSV bought it new, and I love the boat, never had a single problem with it. The other day as we were wiping the boat down after a day on the lake, I noticed that the vinyl on the two back seats next to the bench seat have come apart at the seams, also the two front pull up seats in the bow have done the same thing, along with the vinyl on the sun deck also coming apart. the boat has always been covered and garaged when not in use and vinyl protectant used multiple times per year. The vinyl has pulled away from the stiching, the stiching is not falling apart. not impressed with the cheap paper thin vinyl that skiers choice uses/used on their boats, I just think that a $43,000 boat should hold together a little better than this, I had a quote from a local upolster to recover everthing for 1,500 dollars. this think this should be covered under some kind of warranty. what do you think Rick T.

mmandley
07-26-2009, 05:51 AM
Id like to agree it should but the fact is it isn't.

Look at Leather on car seats, after 5 years unless that leather was taken care of its normally faded and cracked, and looks bad.

Im sure you take very good care of your boat but there has been several threads of the threads coming out of the seats.

I clean and condition the vynal each and every time we go out. i am a stickler about it because im an interior freak in my truck.

No foods except chips and drinks in closed containers are allowed in both for the most part. No kids are allowed to eat in my truck or boat.

Point is you have to understand the abuse these interiors take on a boat. Constant sun, dirty lake water all over them. People crawling over them wet and dry. Sunblocks, lotions, and other chemicals getting smeared into the vynal while its hot from the sun.

1500 doesn't sound to bad to me for 5 years of wear. I mean thats like 300 a year. I spend that in 1 month on gas alone for the boat.

At least this time when you recover it get it made thicker, sewn better, and in 5 years you wont be doing this again.

I feel for your pain and disappointment i really do man.

maxpower220
07-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Go take a look at MasterCraft, Malibu and CC forums, you will see the same complaints. In fact, I bought a Malibu new once. I had to take it back to the dealer twice in the first 13 months to get the vinyl redone in the back seat, observer seat, and the driver's seat. All had come apart. That was the end of my Malibu ownership.
There are many factors in why it happens. I will say that my last boat was a MasterCraft and I owned it for 7 years with no problems of any kind. So, it doesn't happen to every boat.

Ian Brantford
07-26-2009, 11:56 AM
That's right, it does not happen to every boat. Other than minor mildew in the crevices and some pollen stains, my 2005's vinyl still looks almost new. What's the difference? I do practically nothing to it. I have had it at a detailer twice in all of that time.

04moblsv, exactly what type of vinyl 'protectant' are you using? What is the brand and formula?

tprkolbas
07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
if i'm not mistaken, there is a warranty on the vinyl - but i don't think it is 5 years. i agree with one of the other posters who said boat vinyl takes a beating - not much you really can do about it. if you are looking for a good vinyl protectant, use 303. it is available at overtons and similar stores. it's a little pricey, but i've heard so many dealers swear by it.