PDA

View Full Version : Moomba outback ballast

mutau052
07-24-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm looking at buying a moomba outback and have a few questions.

1) how much weight is the gravity 1 system?

2) because the ballast is under the rear seat(I think) than could I plumb in a 750# bag into the rear locker for wake surfing? Into all the factory system.

I dont need a huge wave just surfable. I do like direct drive so I want to stick with
this boat, I also use our boat for wakeboarding and could either empty the fat sac or just leave it in while boarding.

Your guys thoughts?

TL7
07-24-2009, 11:30 PM
The factory is around 300 I believe. We have a 2007 and we replaced the factory sac with the ProX Rear Seat Bottom (http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/FL_ttJqn). It really makes a big difference in the wake. When we surf, we also add a 800lb (http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/jw6SQ) next to the engine.

The fuel tank is right under the rear ski locker, and I think the max you can put in there is a couple hundred pounds. I wouldn't plumb a sac in there if that's what you meant.

Where are you located? If you're close to Houston you can just buy mine listed in the classifieds...it's ready to go ;)

mutau052
07-24-2009, 11:38 PM
That answers my question, I'm anal about not having any bags out in the open. I'm guessing I'll need to save a little more for the v-drive I guess. I'll just keep rocking the 185 bayliner for another year.

viking
09-21-2009, 12:32 AM
TL and Sled,
What set-up do you recommend running? I want to confirm what works best with someone who has the same boat as I. I have the 07 outback DD with the factory Gravity I ballast (400lbs). I'm going to purchase all I need over the winter.
I was considering the:
Pro X Series Fat Seat - W710
dimensions: body- 26 x 63 x 13 arms- 58 x 13 x 13 weight: 1525 lbs. / 692 kg.
Looks like it would replace the one in there now with sides to go around the engine? I just don't know if it is too high for the seat? I would really like to plumb it in to the ballast switch on the console. I don't mind if I have to upgrade the factory with the 800lb one as long as whatever I put in fits under the seat in when the extended sun deck position. I can always Tsunami pump a second bag along the engine! Just looking for the BEST setup for what I want to do..........
1.) 60% ski
2.) 20% wakeboard
3.) 20% surf
Thanks.

The factory is around 300 I believe. We have a 2007 and we replaced the factory sac with the ProX Rear Seat Bottom (http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/FL_ttJqn). It really makes a big difference in the wake. When we surf, we also add a 800lb (http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/jw6SQ) next to the engine.

The fuel tank is right under the rear ski locker, and I think the max you can put in there is a couple hundred pounds. I wouldn't plumb a sac in there if that's what you meant.

Where are you located? If you're close to Houston you can just buy mine listed in the classifieds...it's ready to go ;)

viking
09-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks Guys.........
After reading your posts and calling to talk with Mike at Fly High I think this is the way I'll go:
1.) Upgrade to the 650lb (w705) rear seat sac to fit under rear seat and plumb it in (this should help wake during wakeboarding too) and still fit nicely.
2.) use 750lb (w707) fat sac on side of engine
3.) use stock 400lb sac for up front
4.) position the "heavier" passengers on sun deck side of surf

This should get me started. Also allows me to take out the additional bags and still have more weight for wakeboarding and/or none for skiing.

What do you think?? Also........any recommendation on a FIRST surfboard??
Man I hope I can get this all in before she goes in for winterization on the
5th.

Listen to Ed, he is the one who pionered the surf set up on a Outback DD. I agree forget the seat and put a 750 under the rear seat in the up position. Keep in mind this will fill all the way to the enging Clam so there will be no walking around the back. 600 down your surf side, we like the lounge in this situation as it is a bit thicker material than a typical bag and allows a body or two to lie along the edge and increase wave length. I would get a brick or 2 for the bow. These are about 80 each, or go with one a bit bigger and stick them up front. The other day with the 800 accross the back and 600 down the side and my kids sitting on the back it was easy a 3 ft drop in, nothing wrong with that.

moombadaze
09-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Viking, sounds good for the set up. One thing to be carefull of when surfing on the drivers side with the ballast on that side is the fuel tank filler-that is also the vent-you dont want water getting in there. I have been on a outback surfing and actually had water coming over the rear corner but not into the boat so be carefull if its kinda rough out and a couple waves come over the rear can put alot of water in the boat fast.

First board-Hyperlight broadcast