PDA

View Full Version : DIY Walk Through Wind Block - Idea

Guma
07-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Again, just a brainstorm here, but so far this seems like a pretty sound idea to me.

Dave told me yesterday the bow screen Moomba has is a canvas snap it. I am not sold on that, so I got to thinking about a cool DIY wind block. I got the idea from the Malibu DVD I was watching a few weeks ago.

Get 4 strips of plexiglass about 1/2" wide by 1/2" thick, one sheet of 1/4" thick Smoke Grey transparent plexi and cut to the dimensions you need to fill the walk through.

On each side screw in two strips of plexi about 3/8" of an inch apart. Then simply slide the large plexi between the slots and you have an easy and stowable walk through wind block.

I even know a guy who could engrave these with the Moomba logo or the Roo. How freaking cool would that be?

Let me know your thoughts on this idea.

jmvotto
07-24-2009, 01:54 PM
A wind block in Florida???:rolleyes:

I like the canvas i got for 50 bucks. works well easy to install even after a couple "cokes" can store it anywhere. If its real cold then the bow cover goes on .

That does sound like a coll idea though, go with the ROO

Guma
07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
I can be quite the pansy when it is "cold" (read below 70) here in FL... :)

brain_rinse
07-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I've seen other DIY windscreens use aluminum channel for the sides.

moombadaze
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I can be quite the pansy when it is "cold" (read below 70) here in FL... :)

You and Zegm related??:rolleyes:

Im sorry i thought you ment water below 70:)

Razzman
07-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I've worked up a design for making a DIY air dam for around $50-60 that doesn't involve any aluminum u-channel, screws, fabric or snaps and eliminates drilling holes, in fact it will not mar or damage the gelcoat at all.

I have to complete it and test it out to make sure it works as expected before i say anymore though as i'd hate for someone to do it and have it not work to their expectations. The problem i have is time to get it done! :p

jester
07-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I've worked up a design for making a DIY air dam for around $50-60 that doesn't involve any aluminum u-channel, screws, fabric or snaps and eliminates drilling holes, in fact it will not mar or damage the gelcoat at all.

I have to complete it and test it out to make sure it works as expected before i say anymore though as i'd hate for someone to do it and have it not work to their expectations. The problem i have is time to get it done! :p

Do you want to finish this before the cold comes back? I have also been thinking of a good way to do this without drilling holes so i am looking forward to your soon to be setup.

NCSUmoomba
07-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Cutting and drilling plexi can be a big pain.

Guma
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree NCSU. If not done correctly you can actually break the bit off wile drilling and it will get stuck in the plexi.

Interested to see what Jester and Razzman have in mind.

Razzman
07-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I'll describe the basics.

Runners: 1/4 thick x 3/8 wide runners made from white HDPE, same material cutting boards are made from. Routing a channel 3/16 deep in the runners. Round over the sides and top removing sharp edges so there are no injuries or chance of pulling off runners.

Install: bond the runners to the gel using a very special clear hi-bond glazing tape that does not let go, waterproof and is only -1/16" thick. Install so channel is just shy of bottom of window.

Air Dam: The acrylic is cut to size by a plastics firm such as TAP, they'll do it cheap when you buy the piece. Smooth edges with 800/1500 grit sand paper. Round over all corners and edges. Size the dam in height to meet bottom of the window.

So that's it. It all relies on being able to work with HDPE, using a router and getting your hands on the special glazing tape that's $75 a roll or a buddy who has some! I just haven't got around to it yet.

jester
07-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Ok Razz you have put alot more thought into this then i have. I mean you even have the sand paper that you are going to use down.

Razzman
07-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Ok Razz you have put alot more thought into this then i have. I mean you even have the sand paper that you are going to use down.

LOL! I've worked acrylic many times before so i know what works. :p

Hoopskier
07-24-2009, 09:04 PM
I'll describe the basics.

Runners: 1/4 thick x 3/8 wide runners made from white HDPE, same material cutting boards are made from. Routing a channel 3/16 deep in the runners. Round over the sides and top removing sharp edges so there are no injuries or chance of pulling off runners.

Install: bond the runners to the gel using a very special clear hi-bond glazing tape that does not let go, waterproof and is only -1/16" thick. Install so channel is just shy of bottom of window.

Air Dam: The acrylic is cut to size by a plastics firm such as TAP, they'll do it cheap when you buy the piece. Smooth edges with 800/1500 grit sand paper. Round over all corners and edges. Size the dam in height to meet bottom of the window.

So that's it. It all relies on being able to work with HDPE, using a router and getting your hands on the special glazing tape that's $75 a roll or a buddy who has some! I just haven't got around to it yet.

So, when are you or who might put this together in a kit to buy. Not sure if the walk through on different models/years are the same. You could make the kit a "cut to fit" option by leaving the side sections long and leaving the dam portion slightly large. Don't know what tool would work best to cut this type of material-skil saw, hand saw.

I the air dam portion would be cool with a etched logo but i would be happy with just a decal also.

I might be on the buyers lists if this would be available depending on cost.

Razzman
07-24-2009, 09:37 PM
I am considering that very thing but want to finish mine to test. There's options i have not mentioned to get hopes up as i have to review cost. I'll keep everyone posted asap.

Razzman
07-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah, to get a primo cut in acrylic you must use a very fine blade at a regulated somewhat slow speed otherwise it chunks. I use a special acrylic blade on a table saw.

Hoopskier
08-14-2009, 04:58 PM
How did your project turn out? do you have any pictures?

Razzman
08-14-2009, 05:26 PM
I haven't even had a chance to attack this one yet.

jester
08-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Ed, How about you come to Oregon for a winter. You might have second thougths about a wind block. I will even let you use my dry suit for a run.

jester
08-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Ed, Mind if i come and live with you for the winter? Only two nights a year i could wakeboard all year without issues or having my differnt parts turn blue.

tazz3069
08-17-2009, 09:16 PM
What this. Is Mr.Ed having a sleep over. Count me in. J/K

K_E_N
08-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Easy fix:
Launch pad Captain's chair filled and inflated will completely block all air from coming through if positioned correctly. The middle windshield on my boat touches the top of the chair when the chair is full, and why wouldn't it be? Wind dam, ballast, and extra seat all in one.
My boat is an '04 LSV, may not work with all configurations.