PDA

View Full Version : Storage v/s Ballast

Guma
07-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Ok I may lose this battle with the better half, but only because I half away agree with her. (that's my story and I am sticking to it:D)

Again we are looking at the OBV as an all around boat for slalom, wakeboard, kneeboard, and yes the dreaded tube. Our dilemna is to either go with the I or III ballast system. As soon as she saw the bags in the back taking up the storage space she didn't like it at all.

So my questions to you guys would be...

1. Can you still store stuff in those areas with the III system? i.e. combo skis, slalom skis, extra vests, ropes, etc.

2. Would the Gravity I and a wakeplate create enough wake for beginner to intermediate wakeboarders? Keep in mind, we have never been on a wakeboard, and lets face it, will probably never turn pro.

moombadaze
07-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Dont even think about NOT getting the gravity 3 system. If you dont use it you can remove the bags and have all the storage available, then when you want to use you are all set-beats adding it later on. You can store some gear ontop of the bags when there filled-just nothing sharp. Get the wakeplate-works good for lots of different reason's.

mmandley
07-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Get the G3 system and if you dont want to use the rear bags then dont. Its not that big of a price difference and if you dont have then want it, it wont be there.

As for storage these boats have tons of storage.

As for storage in the ballast compartments. We store all the gear except the ropes on the ballast bags. We toss a towel or two down and put our wake boards, surfboard, tubes, and vests all back there. You will need to remove all that while filling the bags as it will cause extra weight on the bags when filling.

Once ours are full you can put all the light weight gear back in there. As soon as we hit the water anything that goes in racks is up there and we have lots of room in the ballast area for back packs and stuff.

skiyaker
07-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Guma- just picked up an 08 OBV to use for exactly what you're wanting if for- so far we've had a blast and found it to be an excellent crossover boat. I was looking for the lightest V drive that could make a decent slalom wake and still fit my family. Mine has the gravity III system and like the other gentlemen said, there really isn't a down side. I don't really need it right now (I can face plant just fine without any ballast) and yes the wake plate alone changes the wake dramatically- but I do plan to use it in the future. Right now I just have the bags rolled up in the rear compartments and easily can store a tone of gear back there- and if you put your towels back there the engine will warm them for you!

Razzman
07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Again no down side, you can't hurt the bags with normal use. I've walked on mine, keep all the vests, ropes and towels on them as well as a surfboard and the "dreaded" tube. No problems in two seasons so far. When they are empty you won't even notice them there. It'll cost ya alot more later to add then getting it now.

jmvotto
07-23-2009, 09:30 PM
go woth the ballast 111 i wish i did and adding it after is pricey and labor intensive for the DIY guy. The bags can come out on those trips that you don't need them or you can put your stuff right on top. I keep kids skiis in the center locker on the bag when empty know problem. i have gravity I wishing I had III so i could learn to surf

My .02

Guma
07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
As expected very informed replies and makes our decision that much easier. Gravity III it is!

Thanks again!

jester
07-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Hold on one second. The storage is key to keeping hte inside of the boat clean. With the OBV (and any boat) you are limited with the amount of stoarage you have. I would say if it will be the same price to add the GIII later then dont get it yet. Find out if you like having the storage area when you first get the boat then for the 20 hour service if you don't need the storage as much have them add it at that time. If you find out that you like having the storage then don't waste the money. That is my 2c.

brain_rinse
07-23-2009, 10:11 PM
What's the price difference?

07-23-2009, 10:27 PM
G3 is like a tower, you don't get a Moomba with out it! Seriously though, the ONLY reason not to get it is money and if you are buying a new boat, this probably isn't going to make or break the deal.

jester
07-23-2009, 11:34 PM
G3 is like a tower, you don't get a Moomba with out it! Seriously though, the ONLY reason not to get it is money and if you are buying a new boat, this probably isn't going to make or break the deal.

It is not all about the money. I chose not to get it for two reasons. One is I did not like the way the 08's where setup for the G3's and two was i wanted the storage. You give up a lot of storage with the G3 system. The G1 you keep almost all of the storage and only give up a little.

jmvotto
07-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Guma, My GI to GIII ballast upgrade estimate was $985 last fall. I opted for the stereo upgrade for 09. The boat would most likely be down for a couple days to do the job.

Currently i have yet to need it do to my WB skills, but i want to learn to surf and ballast is required in the rear. the other option is buy the sacs and fill manually with the tsnami pumps and see it you really need them.

I did not have the option to order it either way. the boat was left over inventory and i was naive about ballast at the time. Actually i wanted a vdrive ski boat, now i have the wakeboard bug.

Resale on a wake board will be higher as well with the GIII

Go with the GIII

Guma
07-24-2009, 09:36 AM
The price difference now, is right around $1k (MSRP). If we didn't get it now, I was looking at upgrading down the road, but with the advice given so far it is best to get it now, instead of waiting till we do need it for surfing or a better wake for boarding.

We were more concerned about losing prime storage. Agreed that once we are on the water, 2 wakeboards in the racks, kneeboard on the cargo bimini, possibly even a slalom ski up there. But when we got to thinking about all the other stuff needed the smaller storage spaces got filled up pretty fast. i.e. extra vest for everyone, first aid kit, signal kit, throwable PFD, small tool kit, etc. It just seemed like a lot of stuff. Granted we don't even have the boat yet so we are just visualizing storage at this point.

I am definitely a proponent of getting something that you can grow into versus upgrading later. Shoot, my wife and I have a 4 bedroom house and it is just the two of us newlyweds for now.

One thing that stuck out to me too, was the shallow depth of the underseat cooler. How much do you guys really pack in there? I know just around the house I can go through a half a dozen sodas or waters. On the water, I suspect I will go through much more than that, plus our friends who will bring what they want to drink.

We won't have the luxury of a dock or beach to pull up to when we are out on the water so we will have to pack for a full day on the water with 5 or 6 people in the boat.

Even still I think I will go ahead with the G3 system now. Probably will not use it for a while so storage won't be an issue at first, and by the time we do use it, we will be better at knowing exactly what we need to take with us or can leave in the truck for retrieval later on in the day.

jmvotto
07-24-2009, 09:58 AM
the cooler is pretty much worthless, I use our for emptys' i nvested in two soft/hard igloo coolers from Target. They can pretty much go anywhere. the downfall is over night cooler these are more day trippers.

http://www.target.com/gp/search/189-9607453-5742304?field-keywords=igloo+48+can+cooler&url=index%3Dtarget%26search-alias%3Dtgt-index&ref=sr_bx_1_1_0

Guma
07-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Use it for trash, excellent idea! We have already bought this cooler here. Collapsible from the top down and will slide underneath the bow fill cushion if the back storage is taken up by ballast.

http://www.ikitchen.com/blde54cancoi.html?CS_003=740477&CS_010=blde54cancoi

Razzman
07-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Guma, if your not going to use the bags for awhile either role them up or take them out until you do.

The LSV has so much storage that except for vests, towels and ropes everything we carry is in other storage areas with room to spare. Anchor and orange USCG vests up in front spaces, fenders and dock ropes in the locker behind driver, tool kit in the rear port side space and everything else in the under dash/seat locker with room to spare.

To give you an example i'll try and cover what's in that space alone. Two batteries, two big amps on port wall, two plastic bins 18x12x8 stacked (snack shacks!), 1000w power inverter, large tube pump, first aid kit, collapsable oar, cordless vacumm (yes i said vacumm), another plastic bin holding small neccessities (12x8x6) and yet another one of 18x12x8 holding hats, sunscreeens, etc. And there's still room for backpacks, clothes and a softside cooler!

I wrapped HVAC insulation around my cooler and with a 1/2" block of ice in there i get a full 2 days use out of the cooler.

We generally have around a 6 peep average on the boat and it handles everything just fine. When we surf i pull the vests off of the sac, fill and put some back on top and close the locker. The rest goes in the other side until emptied.

jester
07-24-2009, 12:05 PM
the cooler is pretty much worthless, I use our for emptys' i nvested in two soft/hard igloo coolers from Target. They can pretty much go anywhere. the downfall is over night cooler these are more day trippers.

http://www.target.com/gp/search/189-9607453-5742304?field-keywords=igloo+48+can+cooler&url=index%3Dtarget%26search-alias%3Dtgt-index&ref=sr_bx_1_1_0

I agree with the color being useless. I use it as a shoe locker. I bring a cooler and sit it under the window in the walk thru. Works great. Also i do not have to pack all of my drinks in one cooler or bag, take it to the boat, unload one cooler into the boat cooler, fill the boat cooler iwth ice, make someone get up every time i need a drink then at the end of the day pull everything back out. I can pack a cooler at the house. Just drop it in the boat. then at the end of the day just pick it up and pull it out of the boat into the house.

mcdye
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
We took our bags out for now, as we are newbies. you can play with the speed, wakeplate, human weight to a good training wake. Then you will be glad you have the bags when you want them. :)

Guma
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
One noticable difference between the LSV and the OBV is the height, from the floor, of the seats. The OBV seats are pretty short, thus allowing for a little less storage under the seats.

Its not the insulation I was concerned about on the cooler, but how it seems to be an oversized brownie pan in size. I think the collapsible cooler underneath the bow filler cushion will more than make up for the lack of cooler space under the seat. I do agree nothing on the carpet but wet feet but in this case I will have to compromise.

Rolling them up seems like a great idea. Maybe even throw an extra towel over them to keep them from getting damaged accidentally. Probably even a good idea to fill them every now and then to just keep everything in working condition.

Again, as mass of information and I do appreciate all the help!

moombadaze
07-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree the v drive's have tons of storage--Im amazed at the amount of stuff that is in my boat-mind bogling, and there is still room for more:)

mmandley
07-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Weve unloaded the LSV a few times for drying out and trips to the dealer for service,

Man it takes like 1/2 our garage to hold all the gear.
3 Wake boards with bindings
1 wake surf board
1 regular tube
1 Tomcat tube
9 vests
2 wake board ropes
1 surf rope
1 tool kit
1 first aid kit
1 throwable
4 plastic water prof containers for boat pappers, sunblock, lotions and all that small stuff
2 long docks fenders
4 ball fenders for tying to other boats
4 tie off ropes
1 36 pack case of bottled water from Costco
2 anchors
200+ feet of anchor rope
1 full boat cover
6 beach towels
1 sun deck cover towel
at least a dozen micro fiber towels for cleaning
1 can wake board spray goo for the bindings
2 bottles of cleaning products for spills

I think thats all the stuff on the boat 24 7

Then everyone that comes brings a backback of there gear and food
Cooler and other drinks

All this and the only thing you can see is the cooler in the boat.
These boats have a TON of storage. I still have room for a bow fat sack that will be installed this winter.

jester
07-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Mike,

You really pull all the gear out when you take the boat into the shop? That is alot of work. I have not unloaded my boat all the was since i started the season and last year when i pulled everything out it filled up my car all the way. The 08 OBV does not have as much storage as the LSV. I do not knwo about the 09 OBV.

mmandley
07-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Yes when we took it in for the Ballast issue and the 20hr service i took it all out. Theres no guarantee they will lock the boat in the garage, also if its out of there way no chance in anything getting damaged or forgotten if they have to unload it for some reason.

When i take my truck in for any service that it has to stay at the shop without me i take all my cds and other important stuff out as well.

Guess its to many times i get my vehicle back lighter then when i left it.

Razzman
07-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I do the same, remove it all before it goes in.

Mike, neener neener i have 15 towels! :p