PDA

View Full Version : wakesurf questions

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
ok another set of questions for you guys... first being i have a rad a cage tower and need a rack for a wake surf board anyone with this tower that can tell me where they got their rack to fit the tubing and where you located it on the tower?
second question never tried to wakesurf but wanna learn and progress what board are you guys using ? where is the best place to buy it to save a little money?
third is rope ...length of rope and knotted end or small handle?

mmandley
07-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Cant help ya on the tower or board racks.

Boards, a lot of people swear by the Hyperlight CWB board. I haven't ridden it yet.

I use the Liquid Force Venture 5.6 and its a really nice board imo.

Rope length will depend on your tower, and how fare back the surf realy is. A standard surf rope is about 21 to 26ft.

Rope braids are excellent for pulling your self closer to the boat and into the surf, T handle is excellent for this also as they tend to be the same rope.

Surf Handle generally has a small single line rope like wake boarding and ski ropes. I love this handle for starting out as its easier to hold onto, but i like the knotted rope to pull in closer.

I wish i could find a knotted rope with a surf handle.

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
what would be wrong with making your own knots in the surf handle rope?

Mikey
07-22-2009, 09:07 PM
I have my racks mounted on the horizontal flat bars connecting the two sides of the radacage. I have one mounted on the upper support for wakeboards and on the other side on the lowere support to spread them out further to allow me to slide my ski into it. A surfboard works in either.

sandm
07-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I still swear by the broadcast as a good starter board. I have taught over a dozen in the last year to surf on that board. the 5'6 is a good entry level board, and when removing 2 fins, is somewhat maneuverable. ropes can be had at any local boat shop that has boards. I started out on a knotted rope tied with tennis balls and loved it, but it wore out, so now using a handled rope. it's not bad, but it's heavy.

can't speak to the racks as all 3 of my boards fit in the supra swivel racks. tight, but they fit.

mmandley
07-23-2009, 01:15 AM
what would be wrong with making your own knots in the surf handle rope?

Mainly due to the rope being so thin tying knots in it wont help ya hold on. The knotted rops are realy thick and the knots arnt so much knots as they are braids in the rope.

Also when you start adding knots it shortens the rope and by the time your dont you might be to short to manuver into and out of the wave.

Sandm, tennis balls? Did you tie a knot in the rope and put a small hoel in the tennis ball to thread it threw? I like the idea just having a hard time picturing it

sandm
07-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Mainly due to the rope being so thin tying knots in it wont help ya hold on. The knotted rops are realy thick and the knots arnt so much knots as they are braids in the rope.

Also when you start adding knots it shortens the rope and by the time your dont you might be to short to manuver into and out of the wave.

Sandm, tennis balls? Did you tie a knot in the rope and put a small hoel in the tennis ball to thread it threw? I like the idea just having a hard time picturing it

I'll snap a pic for ya late tonight. worked well..
working until 1, then on the lake by 2. hoping to not be home until 9 or 10 tonight :)
103 here today..

mmandley
07-23-2009, 07:59 AM
"Boards, a lot of people swear by the Hyperlight CWB board. I haven't ridden it yet. "

Mike, you just made one board out of two :)

Gus, no one can recommend a board without knowing some specifics. For example:

what's your weight

what's your wake like

will family members be using this same board

do you have any prior surfing experience.

For safety and ease of use for everyone, get yourself a real T-Handle surf rope (without knots).

HAHA really? Well i meant the Hyperlight Broadcast. Guess CWB is stuck in my head for some reason.

brain_rinse
07-23-2009, 09:41 AM
For safety and ease of use for everyone, get yourself a real T-Handle surf rope (without knots).
After using a T-handle rope we've talked about getting a knotted rope. The thought was that after getting up, the handle is never in the right spot so you're just holding the rope... the knots might make that part a little easier. Also when tossing the rope out to the rider, the t-handle is heavy and sinks quickly, and hurts if you catch it with your face. :p But we've never used the knotted rope, so maybe the grass isn't greener?

kaneboats
07-23-2009, 11:32 AM
The Hyperlite Broadcast is one of the cheapest boards out there and very easy to find. Everyone in the boat can use it and it fits in the standard wakeboard racks. If you are going to have one board this is a great one to start with. If you are going to have 2 boards, this is a great choice for one of them and you can pick a more expensive one with characteristics you like after you learn to ride.

The CWB Ride is another great learner board. It's also pretty big like the Broadcast. I'm not sure if it fits in the standard wakeboard rack though (Stacy would know this). It's not very expensive and also a great one to keep forever to teach others with.

This page on the wakeworld site has a board buyers guide with pictures and specs on all kinds of boards:

http://www.wakeworld.com/Surf/

And this site tracks the best current deals on stuff (select "niche sports" and then "wakesurfing"):

http://www.spadout.com/

Have fun!

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-24-2009, 08:16 AM
thanks for the help guys i weigh 175 so from what i read the broadcast 5' 6" or the cwb ride would work nicely. i tell everyone who goes out on my boat i'll buy what i like to fit me best and they are welcome to use it or buy their own. i think thats fair enough. i am mostly about what will fit me best but the cwb board will look a lot nicer on my rack they the lime green/bright yellow color that hyperlight picked out... why not a normal color? anyone know if the cwb ride will fit in the standard tower rack?

kaneboats
07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
The last couple of years were a lot cooler looking than the lime green. Check ebay for deals on the older ones. You can still find them brand new.

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-25-2009, 01:14 PM
yeah not really diggin that color on solid red boat!
ok thanks i'll check out ebay and see what i find

moombadaze
07-25-2009, 03:23 PM
anyone know if the cwb ride will fit in the standard tower rack?

Yes it fits just fine, and the hyperlite broadcast's both fit.

I have a 08 lsv with factory racks and fit all 3 boards with no issues. 2 broadcasts and 1 ride.

Sled491
07-26-2009, 05:42 PM
My t - handle rope has knots as well. So you get up with the T then pull yourself into the sweet spot with the knotes line. Keep in mind this rope is considerable thicker than a regular rope, which is why the knots work, there very big and provide a great hold.

sailing217
07-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I like the T-handle with knots. I think I paid $25 from boardersmall.com and well worth it after my daughter put her leg through the wakeboard handle but luckly she realized before she fell.

I like the Cwb Ride more than my broadcast. My next step up was an inland surfer and then Phase5. The P5 fits in wake racks which is great. The wife and kids now use the P5 as it sinks easy on startups like the wakeboard company boards, yet is much faster when up (note: the P5 Razz is thicker and doesn't fit in racks).

Sled491
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
For those looking for a longboard ocean feel, we just got a Hyperlite "Landlock". Both my boys are free surfing on it within a couple of days, in fact my 9 yr old was free surfing it within a few hours behind our regular Outback with a 600 lb sak.

mmandley
07-29-2009, 06:38 AM
For those looking for a longboard ocean feel, we just got a Hyperlite "Landlock". Both my boys are free surfing on it within a couple of days, in fact my 9 yr old was free surfing it within a few hours behind our regular Outback with a 600 lb sak.

I just saw this board at AWS today, man thats a big board LOL.

Sled491
07-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Imagine what it looks like with a 50lb 4ft 7yr old on it :)

nofinni_09xlv
08-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Just bought 09 xlv23 2 weekends ago. Anybody got tips for wakesurf set up.I have been wake surfing for a year behind a Gekko.I am having abit of a hard time creating a sweet wave behind the moomba.There doesn't seem to be much travel room on the wave.

Any tips Appreciated,
Shaun

mmandley
08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Fill center locker bag
Fill your surf only side

People sit on the surf side

9 to 10 miles an hour and then adjust your wake plate.

Look for that dark smooth wave to form. It is easiest to dial it in with everyone in the boat.

To lengthen the wave put poeple in the nose. All Moombas tend to have a heavy ass end and need weight in the nose.

It takes some dialing but that wave is there. I'm sure some XLV owners will chime in and be happy to list there setups.

Gratz on the new boat and have fun.