PDA

View Full Version : Fun Fun

Jeff W
07-22-2009, 11:46 AM
My tower, tower speakers and SeaDek all came in this week. Also, we're putting in another floating dock and attempting to beast my steel lift into the water. Sounds like a fun weekend, eh?

Any tips/tricks that I should be aware of for the tower install? It's an Aerial Airborne going onto my 02' Outback. I'm sure I've got some sweat time on my hands in the next few days.

Gotta love spending copious amounts of money on the boat. I should have just bought a Mob V and saved all the headache :D

brain_rinse
07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow, you've got some work to do! Looking forward to the before/after pics.

c.rix
07-22-2009, 12:13 PM
One thing I would keep in mind when drilling holes for the tower make sure to run the drill in reverse to get through the gel coat

It keeps the hole clean and gel coat from blowing out/spidering

Honestly doing it yourself makes you feel better when its all done and usually you can save yourself money also

c.rix
07-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Not sure on your schedule but if you need a hand one day during the week hit me up Ive been laid off for a couple weeks and Im bored :)

Jeff W
07-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I'd love a hand on the tower install. I'm thinking that will be an after work one thing next week. Sunday is dock/lift day.

What works best for you? I know you said you were going up north this weekend.

And I've got the drill in reverse in my mental notes from reading on other forums.

moombadaze
07-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Somehow just have the tower sitting in place to make sure it "looks right"--nothing worse than a tower bolted down that looks out of place.

Measure
Measure
Measure
Drill very small pilot hole first.

Jeff W
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Somehow just have the tower sitting in place to make sure it "looks right"--nothing worse than a tower bolted down that looks out of place.

Measure
Measure
Measure
Drill very small pilot hole first.

Thank you Sir! I will be certain that I have the look of the tower right. There is another Outback on the forum that has the tower and I really like the placement. I'm hoping to get mine in a VERY similar location.

c.rix
07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I'd love a hand on the tower install. I'm thinking that will be an after work one thing next week. Sunday is dock/lift day.

What works best for you? I know you said you were going up north this weekend.

And I've got the drill in reverse in my mental notes from reading on other forums.

Im not sure about my schedule for next week but I should be able to come help ya

Jeff W
07-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Im not sure about my schedule for next week but I should be able to come help ya

952-913-three eight zero six

Hit me up with a call or a text anytime.

mmandley
07-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Good luck on this stuff Jeff, yea nothing will make make ye feel better then to be able to say i did it myself when its all done too.

Like Moombadaze said, i was going to say measure 15 times and drill 1 time. When i drilled my hole from the cubby area into the tower foot for my tower speakers i think i spent 15 or 20 minutes going back and forth to make sure that drill would pop out in the exact spot i wanted.

I was still sick to my stomach when drilling out of sheer nervousness. Course it was high five and hoots and hollers when it worked LOL.

jester
07-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Good luck. Also if you have a video camera it might be a good home movie on getting the boat lift into the water. Somthing too look back at a few years from now and think to yourself you really do not want to replace the lift.

Jeff W
07-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Good luck on this stuff Jeff, yea nothing will make make ye feel better then to be able to say i did it myself when its all done too.

Like Moombadaze said, i was going to say measure 15 times and drill 1 time. When i drilled my hole from the cubby area into the tower foot for my tower speakers i think i spent 15 or 20 minutes going back and forth to make sure that drill would pop out in the exact spot i wanted.

I was still sick to my stomach when drilling out of sheer nervousness. Course it was high five and hoots and hollers when it worked LOL.

The only thing better than knowing that I did it myself is knowing that I saved $700 paying some asshat to do it when I know it only takes them an hour or two..

Good luck. Also if you have a video camera it might be a good home movie on getting the boat lift into the water. Somthing too look back at a few years from now and think to yourself you really do not want to replace the lift.

I wish he had animated smileys here so I could do the laughing one. I may just do that. I'v been wanting to put together a lake video - that would be a good piece of footage to do it. Imagine the look on our faces when the 1500 lbs lift gets away from us down the hill and is flying down towards the lake out of control :eek:

kaneboats
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
The hardest part with the tower is finding something to measure off of. Keep in mind the windshield may not be in exactly the right spot and may not be symmetrical. In other words, find points on the hull to use as fixed points from which to measure so you put it on straight and square with the hull.

jester
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I wish he had animated smileys here so I could do the laughing one. I may just do that. I'v been wanting to put together a lake video - that would be a good piece of footage to do it. Imagine the look on our faces when the 1500 lbs lift gets away from us down the hill and is flying down towards the lake out of control :eek:

Haha that would be great. Then what would be even better, or cores no one getting hurt, but the out of control lift hits the Police boat that just happened to be driving by at the right time. I think you might want to move your boat on the other side of the lake before you begin this little project. Also if it gets away from you jump out of its way and don't try to jump on it and ride it all the way to the lake.

c.rix
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
my buddy put braided fishing line through the bow eye so when he marked it out the tower was atleast the same distance from the bow marked it onto tape he laid down first
mess up or dont like it remove tape start over

kaneboats
07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I determined the bow light was dead on so I measured off of it. I checked from the rear and was within about 1/8". I also put tape on the hull and marked layout on the tape. It's also good when you're drilling.

moombadaze
07-23-2009, 02:31 PM
When i drilled my hole from the cubby area into the tower foot for my tower speakers i think i spent 15 or 20 minutes going back and forth to make sure that drill would pop out in the exact spot i wanted.

think I spent the same amount of time and the beer stayed in the fridge till all holes were drilled:D

Jeff W
07-23-2009, 02:46 PM
my buddy put braided fishing line through the bow eye so when he marked it out the tower was atleast the same distance from the bow marked it onto tape he laid down first
mess up or dont like it remove tape start over

this will be helpful information next week when you're over helping us ;)

kaneboats
07-24-2009, 10:48 AM
the beer stayed in the fridge till all holes were drilled:D

How ever did you get up the nerve to start drilling? I never would have made it as a surgeon. There's only one way to steady my hand for surgery.

GeauxTigers
07-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Thank God my boat came with the tower!

:D