PDA

View Full Version : how to mount a spare tire

sandm
07-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Have a '06 boatmate trailer for my launch 20. never had a spare, but had to buy 2 new tires the other day, so I picked up another rim and used the tire that was still in decent shape for a spare. I see all kinds of mounting options and just wondering what kind seems to come on factory skiers boatmate trailers?
my dealer only has a couple of skiers products left and none have spares mounted on the trailer, nor the spot for one...

thanks..

moombadaze
07-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I mail order mine from overtons $20 bucks i think, painted it black and bolted it to the front of the trailer, really cant even see the mount.

adsman
07-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Have a '06 boatmate trailer for my launch 20. never had a spare, but had to buy 2 new tires the other day, so I picked up another rim and used the tire that was still in decent shape for a spare. I see all kinds of mounting options and just wondering what kind seems to come on factory skiers boatmate trailers?
my dealer only has a couple of skiers products left and none have spares mounted on the trailer, nor the spot for one...

thanks..

I ordered a mount from boatmate and got EXCELLENT service from Jerry. I opted for going direct to boatmate (as opposed to the dealer or internet) because I wanted to have the mount painted to match the trailer ... boatmate was able to do that at a cost that was equal to the dealer black painted mount (including shipping!)

I also got a factory tire and wheel to match my other tires from the dealer for a decent price.

I mounted it pretty far forward on the 'rubber pad' that was a bumper for the swing toungh. I put it there because I liked the idea of not scratching the trailer to much. I still have room to swing it back 90 degrees, but I dont really need to use it.

sandm
07-21-2009, 08:42 PM
^^
thanks.
that's exactly what I was looking for. probably just order the one off the internet, as I just looked it up and only running around $45 shipped. I can paint it for a few $$ and be done. with a tire mounted, I don't think anyone will notice it's black, and the rail on the bottom of our boat, bunks, striping on the trailer, and pads on the trailer are black as well, so kind of matches...
rim that matches the trailer came from les schwab for $80, and the tire was free, as it has one good tow left in it :)

Razzman
07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm going to pickup the one from Shoreland'r i think, the tire sits at a 10-15 degree angle parallel with the hull for more room.

moombadaze
07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Razz, you dont need that angled one. the straight up fits fine and looks just like the factory one.

brain_rinse
07-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Does the angled one allow you to move the spare farther back on the trailer and still open the swing tongue all the way?

Razzman
07-22-2009, 03:03 PM
That was why i was going angled to be able to mount further back. 'Daze where does yours mount?

SEARK
07-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I mounted mine between the pad and the light and have plenty of room. The boat never gets close to it when loading and unloading. Can even swing the tounge all the way back. The light is a little hidden from the front but can still be seen from the side.

moombadaze
07-22-2009, 07:13 PM
That was why i was going angled to be able to mount further back. 'Daze where does yours mount?

Ive got it right behind(rear) of the black bumper for the tounge to hit ir it swings open to far

sandm
07-22-2009, 08:17 PM
well, first attempt is a fail.
if you have 6lug rims like I do, don't buy the box that says 4 or 5 lug. it was only $31 so price was good locally. going back friday to see if they have the 6lug version.

mmandley
07-23-2009, 12:59 AM
I saw something ive been trying to find as a tire mount. I cant mount mine in the locations you guys are due to i need the full swing of my tongue to close my garage door.

I have herd of the under the nose of the boat carriers but that wont work as my driveway is a sttep uphill and it will drag going into the garage.

What i saw was 2 weekends ago this guy had a boatmate duel axle trailer and the tire was mounted right behind the rear axles. It was mounted under the platform the gide pole mounts to. He had the poles too and i didnt think to take a picture of it but has anyone seen these?