PDA

View Full Version : Single or Dual Axle

Guma
07-21-2009, 01:52 AM
We are trying to make some decisions about our order for an OBV in a few months. What are the pros and cons about having a single axle trailer versus a dual axle trailer?

We will be towing with an '03 GMC Envoy that has a 4200 Vortex V6, with 4WD and towing package, if this is relevant to our trailer choice.

RobertJ
07-21-2009, 02:18 AM
I pull a single axle trailer for my '07 LSV. My tow rig is a 2000 4WD Durango with the 4.7 V8. Single axles are easier to move around and manuver but you give up some security and capacity by not having a dual axle. The single axle has enough capacity for the boat trailer fuel and about 500-1,000 pound of gear. When we go camping I have one cooler that my wife refers to as the beast, white costco 215 quart cooler. I think this cooler weighs about 400 pounds when it is full, no beer just food. Needless to say about twice a year I wish I had the piece of mind knowing I could put more gear and food in the boat.

Also if you have to do any manuevering of the boat and trailer, moving in the garage, by hand then get the single axle. Duals are a beast to manuever by hand.

mmandley
07-21-2009, 04:30 AM
I agree with Robert here.

I do have the duel and the biggest benefit you get is extra wheels on the highway make it more stable, also if you blow a tire your trailer wont hit the ground.

Moving it around pretty much requires it be hooked to the truck.

I chose the duel axle for the highway security mainly due to i always have to tow it 30 to 60 miles to and from the lakes i like to goto.

danimal365
07-21-2009, 07:27 AM
I got a dual for my LSV. I don't have a lake place so i have to trailer wherever i go. If you tow all the time or long distances it is probably worth it.

moombadaze
07-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Guma, I had a single under my 03 lsv and now have a double under my 08 lsv-but I did use a single under it(08) for a month. There is nothing wrong with the single--much easier to move boat by hand in the garage--tows ok, can be a little bouncey. Now the double--I love it! and for me towing long distance gives piece of mind. Much smoother on the highway and just has the "look" a ski boat trailer should have. Still get a spare tire.

hotrod62
07-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Guma, I had a single under my 03 lsv and now have a double under my 08 lsv-but I did use a single under it(08) for a month. There is nothing wrong with the single--much easier to move boat by hand in the garage--tows ok, can be a little bouncey. Now the double--I love it! and for me towing long distance gives piece of mind. Much smoother on the highway and just has the "look" a ski boat trailer should have. Still get a spare tire.

I have an 08 LSV with a single. I keep 50psi in the tires and they still look like they are low on air. Did you swap trailers at the dealer or did you work out something with Boatmate?

moombadaze
07-21-2009, 09:35 AM
I have an 08 LSV with a single. I keep 50psi in the tires and they still look like they are low on air. Did you swap trailers at the dealer or did you work out something with Boatmate?

I bought the boat off the showroom and it had single axle trailer, I told the dealer i had to have a double for this boat, he included the price of the trailer in my deal and let me use that trailer( put over a 1,000 miles on it) till he ordered another lsv and just had it shipped with my trailer, when it came in we just swapped trailers-that way he would not have a xtra trailer sitting around.

Razzman
07-21-2009, 10:31 AM
I've had both single & duals over the years and for dual is the only way to go as i tow no less than an hour to any water. In fact it's hard to find a boat in Cali with a single axle at any dealer. The roads around here are bad and the security is highly worth it. Also imo the dual rides much more stable.

jester
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
It really depends on two things. One is how far a tow to the lake do you have. I am not talking about the long trips i am just taking about where you are going to spend 85% of your time. Two is how much area are you going to have to back it in and out of places.

I have a single and have not had any issues. I go about 70 on the hwy without issues. Anything above that the trailer gets a little light. I have also had to put my trailer in places i would not have been able to get a dual one into. (well i could have but it would have taken a long time and lots more work). My drive to the lake is about 45 min away and i have not had an issues with the single.

Guma
07-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Well the lake we will most likely start out using is about 30 mins away. I am not familiar with all the hot spots around our area, but I think I may err on the side of caution and go with the dual axle trailer. They just look cooler anyway!

Thanks for the info,

moombadaze
07-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Guma, what lake?

Guma
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Just sent you a PM asking where we should go, but the only place I have been able to scope out so far has been Thonotosassa. So far not loving it, too many jet skis and rednecks in jon boats and tubers.

moombadaze
07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Thonotosassa. So far not loving it, too many jet skis and rednecks in jon boats and tubers.

Sorry fogot about that lake-never been but heard the same about it.

lancesaville
07-21-2009, 11:16 PM
I would go tandem axle (and did) - You just don't want to tow a 3k lb boat around on two wheels. I have to tow only 14 miles on average and still did the tandem. Less bumpy, and I have a little insurance in a tire emergency. Also, when my trailer is on a level surface, I don't have any trouble moving it around by hand, I am a big guy tho, but still it's not that hard IMO.

Ian Brantford
07-21-2009, 11:51 PM
If you go with a tandem, note that having it level is more important than with a single-axle, as being off-level puts more strain on one axle. The tandems may assume less pressure on each axle, so putting it all on one may break some design assumptions about the load. For example my tandem's tires are rated for 50 lbs max, not the 60 that the single-axle trailers have.

After getting a new truck and taking my XLV for a tow, even a 3" drop at the tongue resulted in notably hotter tires for the trailer's front axle. It was not alarming, but I'll be getting a lifted ball mount soon.

mmandley
07-22-2009, 04:42 AM
Yup i noticed the same thing, I measured 21inch as thats what the Level of the trailer likes to be. once on the truck and the rear sag i had to flip my 2inch drop hitch over to a 2 inch lift to make it normal.

Think i might get some air bags this winter to re level the truck for towing. It doesn't sag a lot but since i lifted the front of the truck 2.5 inches to match the rear now the front is higher then rear when towing and i don't like the look of it LOL.

dtlaine
07-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Just sent you a PM asking where we should go, but the only place I have been able to scope out so far has been Thonotosassa. So far not loving it, too many jet skis and rednecks in jon boats and tubers.

I went to Lake Tarpon once. It was a Sunday, late morning/afternoon, and it was windy. I did it more for the variety, but it was a nice lake. I think that if you get there early enough, you could probably have some good riding. The boat ramps there are very nice, too. I'd give it a try on a week day or early weekend.

You could always go in the Alafia, but you'll have to flush and wash the hell out of your boat when you're done. I would imagine that even as the tide is going out, it would still be brackish.

deerfield
07-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Guma - I have the smallest boat in the Moomba line up, but have a tandem axle trailer. It pulls like a charm and I like the look. Most of the summer our boat sits on a lift when not in use. When we do tow the trailer, it is at least 40 miles. Longest trip was 500 miles one way. Yes, it's more than I need, but for peace of mind a great option to included when ordering your boat. - Deerfield

zegm
07-22-2009, 11:52 PM
30 miles is no problem for single axle. But if you want the looks spend the bucks! If you plan on backing into a tight area then go single. I have 2 boats, one single axle, one double. I can move the single myself, not hooked to truck but with my own 2 hands and can get it in the garage within a 1/4 inch of where I want it. The double is only being moved by the truck. Another thing to think about is the ramp, if you want to launch it from a dirt or sand ramp then go double. Towing, the worst mishap that I had was with the double, she got into a swing this way and a swing that way and I thought I was gone, finally pulled out of it by speeding up. Was done avoiding a fire truck that couldn't make up its mind what lane it wanted on a 4 lane I was taking. Funny thing is the double only gets towed 20 to 40 miles at a time and I have taken several 300 mile trips in the single. Bought a spare and mounted it to the frame and all is fine. It tows straight as a rail.
But if it is all based on looks, spend the money and get what you desire!
Be Happy showing off your baby!