PDA

View Full Version : Another KMT6 thread

csm
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
I know there has been a lot of discussion about these Kicker tower speakers, but not sure I've found the answer that I'm looking for. I don't know squat about amps or speakers, so I rely on this forum for most of my knowledge.

Currently, I have 2 Kenwood tower speakers powered by a crappy Kenwood amp. I am considering replacing the speakers with 2 sets of KMT6, and powering them with a Kicker 450.2 amp. (Eventually, I am planning on adding a Boston Acoustics sub and an equalizer, but that might be better left to a professional.)

My question is, will I be able to just swap out the amp and the speakers and use the same wiring? Since each Kicker set is 2 speakers, will I have to run additional wiring to each hookup in the tower, or do the KMT6's only have one place for input on each set?

mmandley
07-21-2009, 04:35 AM
I have the KMT6.

There is 1 single hook up on the back of each speaker case. It is split inside the casing so you don't have to worry about it.

Now for powering them, are you planning on running 2 sets, 4 total speakers? The 450.2 will power then but its not designed for that load.

If your really putting up 2 sets for a total of 4 speaker cases on your tower you will need something more powerful then the 450.2 imo.

If your only running 1 set of KMT6's then the 450.2 is perfect as i have that set up and you can more then hear it at wake board distance and i only have my gain at like 40%

If you like check my profile and theres several pics of the KMT6s and the amps.

csm
07-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I am planning on running 2 sets, so 4 total speakers. For the amp, I was going off of what the Kicker rep posted in a Wakeworld thread, where he said the 450.2 was the ideal amp for the KMT6, but I guess he didn't specifically say if it was ideal for 1 set or 2 sets.

Are you running your towers off of the 700.5?

csm
07-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Sorry mmandley - I misunderstood your question, or I mis-stated in my original post. I am only planning on running 1 set of speakers, if we're considering 1 set to be 2 'pods' of the kickers.... I was considering each 'pod' to be 2 speakers, for a total of four...

So in that case, it sounds like the 450.2 should work fine for me.

Thanks for the input.

dtlaine
07-22-2009, 11:28 PM
I have a Kicker ZX350.4. Two channels power the speakers in the boat, and two channels power my set (two pods) of KMT6s. The system sounds really good. I can hear it clearly @ 65' behind the boat. I have a completely separate amp that runs my 10" sub.