PDA

View Full Version : Moomba OEM Tower on the Outback V

Guma
07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Does the tower fold back or forward? Forgot to ask when I was at the dealer on Sat and haven't seen any pics of it folded down.

I like the OEM tower, but I do not love it. I have been looking at aftermarket towers but have yet to find one that I absolutely love. I do love the tower on the Nautique 216ve, but there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket towers like that.

Another one I found that I liked was the Vanquish, but the price starts at $3200 before any racks, speakers, or lights.

The search will continue....:D

kaneboats
07-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Are you talking about 2008 or 2009? The OBV changed quite a bit between those years.

Guma
07-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Guess we are talking 2009, but when I finally get to place my order it will be for a 2010.

germa001
07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
It folds forward.

jester
07-20-2009, 12:08 PM
The 2008 folds forwards. Dont know about the 09. Make sure you pull the tower mirror before you fold it down.

Jeff W
07-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Aerial has some nice aftermarket units. They have one with the switchblade side ala MC/Centurion if you have a ricey side.

Guma
07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys, that makes my decision easier to choose to go with an aftermarket tower. I don't like the forward folding towers.

Jeff W
07-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Aerial Assault is the one I was referencing.

I'd go OEM. Nothing has the same look. Universal towers don't have the same fit.

Another option is Samson as they make towers custom fit to each both but the rest are going to be universal.

Guma
07-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Aerial has some nice aftermarket units. They have one with the switchblade side ala MC/Centurion if you have a ricey side.

That is another tower that has made my short list so far. Guess I still have a "ricey side" at 37... LOL

Jeff W
07-20-2009, 01:05 PM
That is another tower that has made my short list so far. Guess I still have a "ricey side" at 37... LOL

I just picked up the Airborne but damn if I didn't look long/hard at the Assault :D

Guma
07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Here is my short list so far.

Aerial Assault - Great look, great price, and folds back
http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/aerial-assault-wakeboard-tower-black-p/bt-asu225w-bk.htm
Samson Razor or Switchblade - Awesome look, expensive, folds easy
http://www.samsonsports.com/wakeboard_tower.html
WakeAir Vanquish - again awesome look, but expensive. There is a small video of the folding tower.
http://www.wakeair.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=176&HS=1

mmandley
07-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Here is my short list so far.

Aerial Assault - Great look, great price, and folds back
http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/aerial-assault-wakeboard-tower-black-p/bt-asu225w-bk.htm
Samson Razor or Switchblade - Awesome look, expensive, folds easy
http://www.samsonsports.com/wakeboard_tower.html
WakeAir Vanquish - again awesome look, but expensive. There is a small video of the folding tower.
http://www.wakeair.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=176&HS=1

By far id go with the Vanquish out of those but the price is insane in deed. I realy like the other towers you have listed. Id have to vote for the Switchblade. Its the closest looking tower to the LSV and except the Malibu reverse tower the LSV is the best looking tower IMO.

Jeff W
07-21-2009, 08:49 AM
By far id go with the Vanquish out of those but the price is insane in deed. I realy like the other towers you have listed. Id have to vote for the Switchblade. Its the closest looking tower to the LSV and except the Malibu reverse tower the LSV is the best looking tower IMO.

Malibu's "Reverse" tower is called the Illusion Tower... It's sick stuff..

Guma
07-21-2009, 09:27 AM
If I could find the Illusion or the or the Alpha Z (Tige) to fit the OBV it would make this decision so much easier.

moombadaze
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Samson Razor--my vote

But dont knock the forward folding--one big advantage is the tower is completely out of the way when piddling around in the boat while in the garage.

kaneboats
07-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Have to agree there. I can't even open the clam with the tower down in the garage. I have to do all piddling in the driveway with the tower up. So, on rainy days I can't change oil or anything. Be careful what you wish for.

Guma
07-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I had thought about that, but the back part of my garage has a high enough ceiling that I will be able to set the tower back in the up position when parked in there.

Jeff W
07-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I had thought about that, but the back part of my garage has a high enough ceiling that I will be able to set the tower back in the up position when parked in there.

what is the big deal about forward folding? Will you have it folded down often?

Guma
07-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I know this will get a few eye rolls or laughs, but I think they look kind of silly when they are folded forward. I guess it would be folded when I am towing. I know the road leading the lake we will most likely use has some low hanging limbs and I would not want to take the chance of hitting any of them.

c.rix
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I wouldnt ever drive with the tower down but I do have a stock front folder too

moombadaze
07-22-2009, 01:50 PM
I did tow my 03 one time to the gas station-about a mile one way with the tower folded forward. Only needed gas and back into the garage when i got home. I had a stand for the top to sit on so it was not resting on the bow and tightened the the bolts on the forward part of the tower base, Anyway it shakes bad and the bolts damn near fell out when i got home.

wolfeman131
07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I wouldnt ever drive with the tower down but I do have a stock front folder too

Ditto this. I'd get the pole saw out and cut some limbs.

That said, I have the front folding tower too and wish it folded back instead for 2 reasons:

1) it won't sit flat without taking off the OEM mirror arm which is a pain as it has 4 allen head screws holding the clamp to the tower (could avoid this w/ a Monster brand quick-release)

2) the way it pivots forward, it's tough for me to handle by myself and my wife is only 5' 3" so it's hard for her to help & catch it as it's coming forward.

moombadaze
07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
2) the way it pivots forward, it's tough for me to handle by myself and my wife is only 5' 3" so it's hard for her to help & catch it as it's coming forward.

I forgot about that part.