PDA

View Full Version : New 2 me; 05 Outback!

moomba wannabe
07-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Picked up my 05 Outback today! This is the repo that I think I got a pretty good deal on. Took it out for the water test before buying and it drove really nice. No vibrations, smooth, nice.

Only got a couple questions; main is the steering felt heavy to me, especially the sharper I turned and the more power I gave it. Almost took two hands to turn really sharp. I have relatively no experience behind a direct drive and am coming from a stern drive with power steering so makes sense theres a difference, especially thinking the rudder is getting blasted by the prop. But wanted to put it out there in case this is an indication I need to look at something with the steering. Cable set?

Other minor things are the bilge didnt work very well but I think its plugged and I want to install an auto bilge anyway. It took on little over an inch of water in the 30 plus minutes we were out. Too much? And the depth guage didnt work.

I was told the impeller was just replaced and that the intake filter thing was clogged which had caused it to run hot. I watched the guage and it ran normal today.

Like I said, I'm new to Moomba and to direct drives so any guidance, advice, and direction is appreciated. I'm stoked!

Jeff W
07-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Sounds like a new steering cable or else greasing yours is in order. I just picked up a used 02' Outback a month ago and the steering is real smooth and easy but there are other threads floating around about that.

What are the symptoms of the slow bilge? Mine doesn't run much either.

Jeff W
07-20-2009, 08:00 AM
I forgot to mention - CONGRATS!

Here is the post about the cable.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=8699

moomba wannabe
07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks!

Yea I read some other posts on the steering too and I am thinking new cable. Glad it doesnt seem like anything more serious.

The bilge wasnt pumping at all until I started messing with it. I pulled it out of its mount and shook it and I can hear something moving inside. I turned it on and off while holding it in the water and was able to get it to start pumping. When I turned it off it sounded like it kept running for a few then some pretty dirty water came out so I'm wondering if it doesnt reverse itself for a few seconds when you turn it off to clear gunk. Anyway, long way to say I think the bilge was clogged and/or has a loose fin inside. I had an auto bilge on my previous boat and thats the way to go. Turn it on and forget, especially if you leave it in overnight.

So I'm in the market for parts; any advice on where to get parts online?

mmandley
07-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Congratz Moomba Wannabe. Now you need a new name bro

Moomba Man or Moomba dude lol. No longer a wannabe

As for the bilge cant help ya mine runs only when we take a roller or there's a lot of swimming going on. I never really pay attention to it to be honest.

Just before you jump that gun on the steering there was a thread recently how to lube the cable. I would do that first, as it being your first V drive the tightness you might feel might be normal.

As you steer a V drive it will get tighter and tighter because as the rudder turns its surface area expands behind the prop to allow the water to push the baot into the turn. On mine even at slower speeds, 10mph when i turn it hard to zip around for a pick up it can take 2 hands to hold it sometimes, and when full speed and doing hard turns its the same.

Try the lubing technique in the other thread before replacing the cable at least if it doesn't work you didn't lose any money or extra time on the water.

moomba wannabe
07-21-2009, 01:07 AM
Yea, no doubt on the name! I'll have to think of something.

I will look for the cable grease post and give that a shot, nothing to lose. I'm going out again tomorrow so I will pay some more attention to it and see if it feels what I can only assume would be not normal or overly stiff.

Thanks for the help!

Hootreville
07-21-2009, 02:21 AM
Congrats I bought the same boat last year!!! Post some pics.
Just one question, when you say took on an inch of water in 30 minutes what exactly do you mean??? I am guessing you had people getting in and out of the boat swimming or something. If not then there is a problem!!!

moomba wannabe
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
No. Pretty much just running the boat. Slow, fast, turns etc, checking it out. It was probably actually closer to an hour but I thought I saw more water than I should have. I looked back towards the shaft seal and I can see a drip of water every couple of seconds from that big nut on the shaft.

Sorry, I'm new to these boats so I am kinda repeating what I've been told, but I understand either I could have a bad shaft seal or I just need to tighten that jam nut on the shaft? I think someone mentioned I should only see a drip every minute or so?

Does any of this sound right or make sense?

UPDATE: took it out yeasterday for over an hour and very little water in the bilge. I think the excess water was a false alarm, I think maybe left in from being washed by the dealer and/or running it with the fake-a-lake after replacing the impeller and cleaning the screen.