PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery spots...can't remove

kevinmccarry
07-19-2009, 09:31 PM
After a great weekend of boating and camping, I was cleaning up the boat and discovered 7-10 spots on our seats. It appears it came from a tree at the campground, like pitch or something like that(yellowish-green color). It comes off the fiberglass okay but I can't find anything that will work on removing it from the uphosterly. Has anyone had this problem and/or any suggestions?

maxpower220
07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Try vinegar and water first. If that doesn't work, try ammonia and water. Make sure that you are in open air when using ammonia.
I am assuming that you have try standard boat cleaning products.

helix_rider
07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
One product will do that and so much more...Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I am sold on them, they clean the upholstery, the fiberglass, and so much stuff around the house its crazy. Go pick up a box at Walmart and let us know how it worked...I'd bet serious cash that they will clean up your spots with just a little elbow grease. (just make sure to get the eraser nice and wet first)

brain_rinse
07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Magic erasers are abrasives. They will remove vinyl topcoats, and even the texture and color of vinyl with continued use. Yes, they will clean everything because you're essentially sanding away the dirt.

kfechner
07-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Mr Clean's Magic Erasers seem to get rid of everything!!!

Razzman
07-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Mr Clean's Magic Erasers seem to get rid of everything!!!

They sure do ... including your vinyl!

maxpower220
07-20-2009, 04:50 PM
They sure do ... including your vinyl!

+1, not recommended to use.

brain_rinse
07-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I'd first try to use heat to soften the sap and try to pick it off the surface. Vinyl cleaner with a stiff brush might get it too. Otherwise you'll need to used a degreaser of some kind... Goo Gone would do it.

Mikey
07-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Goo gone was suggested to me as was fantastic without Bleach.

hellonurselisa
07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
I used the magic eraser on the cousions after a trip to powell and they were a god send! I put extra's in baggies on the boat for emergency use.

lancesaville
07-22-2009, 03:32 PM
+1 for Heavy Duty Fantastik, spray, let it sit, then wipe off. Done.

Mikey
07-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Also should add that after the Fantastic use a vynyl conditioner as well.

mmandley
07-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Another product i have found that works as well as Fantastic is Tuff Stuff. Its designed for vynal and carpeting. I keep this in the boat incase theres a spilled drink or something. It works fast and then you jsut do the same, use a vynal conditioner later.

Tuff Stuff is at the regular automotive places.

KarMobLSV06
08-18-2009, 01:59 PM
I have spot cleaned my back sunpads, for small stains, with Magic Erase and can see that they bleach out the spot very noticeably...it eventually blends back in, in about a year-I would not recommend using them-too harsh on the vinyl.

I get the same yellow-greenish spots and my boat is never under trees or anything. It's either in storage, tied up next to houseboat or on the lake. The spots are weird, seem to be in corners, edges of cushions where there is a stitched seam close-doesn't look like mildew.

I'm going to use the Fantastic Without Bleach to clean, then Aero 303 to protect vinyl.

Towed boat home from lake yesterday, 325 miles, for annual detailing inside and out-a lot of work to do before Labor Day! Thanks for the info on cleaning vinyl!

KarMobLSV06
08-18-2009, 03:03 PM
After further research...ordered the Babe's Boat Care Products to clean the uphholstery-no Magic Erase or Fantastic cleaners from now on...