PDA

View Full Version : Gas Stains On Fiberglass

pss3757
04-05-2004, 10:57 AM
On my 2000 Outback....I have these gasoline stains around the fuel cap area on the fiberglass.....tried all kinds of cleaners with no luck. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to get rid of these gas stains ???? Thanks. PS

:) :)

waterboy
04-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Have you tried any polishing compounds, or just chemical cleaners? I would think that hand rubbing with a mild compound would be able to take it off, unless the stain goes deep into the gelcoat.

Brian

pss3757
04-08-2004, 05:17 PM
I have tried Miquirs Fiberglass Restorer, ZAP, and the Fiberglass Stain Removers off the shelf at WestMarine. No luck. The stains seem to be pretty deep in the white fiberglass.

ps

waterboy
04-09-2004, 04:51 AM
So is the Mequirs stuff a polish? From what I understand the gelcoat is about as thick as a credit card. That should leave plenty of room for taking a polishing or even rubbing compound to the stained area. I wouldn't give up until you've tried something abrasive that removes a thin layer of the gelcoat.

Brian

07-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Hey there, new to the board, not a moomba owner but considering repacing my '89 MC

Anyway, I typically carry a dish towel with me on the boat. When I gas up, I put the cap back on, take a small dap of the dish soap we use for the binding and wipe the area down. (yes, bio-degradable soap, and no this does not add any more fuel to the lake than not wiping it down)

I guess you could stick a pack of wet wipes in the boat as well.

07-29-2004, 02:00 PM
TRY A PRODUCT CALL FSR BY DAVIS INDUSTRIES. WE HAVE USED IT FOR YEARS GREAT STUFF

PARTS DUDE
07-29-2004, 02:08 PM
TRY A PRODUCT CALLED FSR IT IS MADE BY DAVIS INSTRUMENTS,WE HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR YEARS AND IT WORKS GREAT JUST PUT IT ON WAIT 15 MINUTES HOSE OFF,YOU MAY HAVE TO DO IT TWICE FOR REAL BAD STAINS. HOPE THIS HELPS