PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back The Boomerang!

motophile
07-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Bring back the Boomerang! Do you think there is a market for a 18', 300 HP, closed bow, center engine, direct drive, NO FRILLS ski boat for 20K? It could be done. Why does no one offer this anymore? Gas gauge, speedo, tach. Hook me up! Literally. Would anyone buy it if it was offered?

SEARK
07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
My guess would be the "would be market" is not large enough. Seems like people want bigger wakes and more room in their boats. 20 years ago I could see this for me, but not now. Family is larger and don't ski near as much. Just my .02.

motophile
07-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Yah I hear ya, but... Us responsible people (that never had kids :p) crave a capable little muscle boat that will fit in a home garage. I think it is a sin that I have been considering Bayliners and Seadoos. Low, sleek, stable, powerful. Too much to ask?

moombadaze
07-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Low, sleek, stable, powerful. Too much to ask?

nope, those boats are hard core- no frills, no wakeboard size wave, ski boats.

motophile
07-16-2009, 07:41 PM
nope, those boats are hard core- no frills, no wakeboard size wave, ski boats.

Yup. I guess no one ski's any longer. I remember when wakeboarding first got going, every Boomerang on the lake had a pole in it. I remember seeing decent wakes from them. Good enough for me. Would be easy to have a compartment in the hull that could be flooded for ballast if needed. I bet they still make them in Australia...

AJones
07-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I'll never sell my Boomerang. 13 years and never had a problem. Perfect size for the 3 of us (me, wife & daughter). Great wake for slalom or barefoot. Not really big enough to take extra friends though.

Mikey
07-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Not to go pushing another brand , But Gecko GT 2o is the Boomerang hull i believe. And they are available again.

Mikey
07-16-2009, 08:39 PM
I stand corrected as i just checked there website and now the GT 20 doesn't show up . I guess no more.

ian ashton
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
If SC made a closed bow boat I'd buy it!

Why are all wake boats open bow?

motophile
07-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Not to go pushing another brand , But Gecko GT 2o is the Boomerang hull i believe. And they are available again.

Cool I never knew about those. Too bad 08 was last year for GTS 20. And too bad the only dealer appears to be in Cali. And too bad there is no phone number on the website. And too bad the information request form does not work... Bring back the Boomerang! Recession Style!

jester
07-16-2009, 09:42 PM
It really should not cost SC that much to bring a haul back that they have all ready built in the past. I mean they have the mold for it. An idea would be a build on demand. Allow customers to order them but knowing they are a month out from getting their boat unless the demand is out there. Just my 2c's

Razzman
07-16-2009, 09:44 PM
For what's it's worth you'll never see again a pure closed bow ski boat from any of the big mfgrs with the exception of Correct Craft and their 196 (soon to the 200), there's just not enough call for them to design and ramp up for them. It's the small companies that you should look at like Standard Boat Company (http://standardboats.com/default.aspx). They make one boat, a stripped closed bow DD skier with almost identical lines to the Ski Nautique 2001 model of the 80's. The option list is small and it's around 30K. Check it out.

SEARK
07-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Yah I hear ya, but... Us responsible people (that never had kids :p) crave a capable little muscle boat that will fit in a home garage. I think it is a sin that I have been considering Bayliners and Seadoos. Low, sleek, stable, powerful. Too much to ask?

Nothing wrong with Bayliner or Seadoo typye boats. My last boat was a 17' Bayliner and had it for 10 summers. We just out grew it and discovered Moomba. I love my LS and sure couldn't go back now. And it fits in my home garage, just takes a little longer to put in than it did the Bayliner.

motophile
07-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Never heard of them. Very interesting. I love the hull. I love the engine. Not sure about the tower. I think we crashed their website. :o Any other small companies doing this?

For what's it's worth you'll never see again a pure closed bow ski boat from any of the big mfgrs with the exception of Correct Craft and their 196 (soon to the 200), there's just not enough call for them to design and ramp up for them. It's the small companies that you should look at like Standard Boat Company (http://standardboats.com/default.aspx). They make one boat, a stripped closed bow DD skier with almost identical lines to the Ski Nautique 2001 model of the 80's. The option list is small and it's around 30K. Check it out.

maxpower220
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
If SC made a closed bow boat I'd buy it!

Everyone is getting out of the closed bow market. MC and CC are the only remaining big makers of closed bow. CC is releasing the 2010 200 in open and closed bow and 'expect' only 20% of them to be closed. MC 190 (same hull as the 197) sell less than 25% closed over open.

Why have a closed bow boat? MC and CC are proving there is no significant difference in performance and the usable space is more family friendly.

If your question is "why doesn't SC make a better ski wake?", I would like to know also. The wake is good, but not great. Time to freshen up the hull design to make a smaller wake, that is the only way I will buy another new boat anytime soon.

Sharpie647
07-17-2009, 09:21 AM
I think this feature is pretty cool. I went from a closed bow DD to My Moomba lsv and love the open bow but I sure wish I had this on my DD
http://standardboats.com/images/DSC_0270.JPG

motophile
07-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Yah I would love to test one of those. Wonder if the storage locker clunks around etc... Good idea's they have. I wish them luck.

Razzman
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Because that's what the buying public wants. Wakeboarding by percentage takes more room for peeps and gear. Many owners have children who have friends, etc. You get the drift. Most aren't like skiers on a private lake, out for a few runs in the am and back to the dock. They also appeal to a larger crowd as well like wakesurfing, airfoiling and tubing. Families want storage and convienence and a small closed bow boat cannot perform those functions. Lets face it, skiing has taken a back seat to all other watersports.

kaneboats
07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
And, you can still ski on the crossover boats. Even most of us who ski sometimes do other things too and aren't running the course.

gts-20
07-17-2009, 11:58 AM

Hey guys, this is my first time posting, but I have been researching on here for a while. I am shopping for a new Moomba, and this is the best place for info on them by far.

I have a 1997 Gekko GTS-20. It is a fantastic slalom/barefoot boat. A buddy of mine has a Boomerang. Side by side, the hulls are very similar, but not the exact same. The Boomerang has much better fit and finish. The quality of the materials used as well as the glass lay up is much better on the Boomerang also.

My boat has a 315hp Merc. Black Scorpion EFI and 13x13 3 blade. I'm not sure about my buddys motor, but he has the same prop. My boat is a little faster, but they both run over 50mph. Mine gps's at 52.9. If Moomba still made the Boomerang, I would be first in line to by one. Since they don't, I'm looking for an Outback DD.

Waynes345
07-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, this is my first time posting, but I have been researching on here for a while. I am shopping for a new Moomba, and this is the best place for info on them by far.

I have a 1997 Gekko GTS-20. It is a fantastic slalom/barefoot boat. A buddy of mine has a Boomerang. Side by side, the hulls are very similar, but not the exact same. The Boomerang has much better fit and finish. The quality of the materials used as well as the glass lay up is much better on the Boomerang also.

My boat has a 315hp Merc. Black Scorpion EFI and 13x13 3 blade. I'm not sure about my buddys motor, but he has the same prop. My boat is a little faster, but they both run over 50mph. Mine gps's at 52.9. If Moomba still made the Boomerang, I would be first in line to by one. Since they don't, I'm looking for an Outback DD.

Years ago, I drolled over the Boomerang. Low, sleek and fast. Nowadays, with a family and friends, I couldn't be happier with my Outback. We are primarily skiers and the performance is excellent. My wife is comfortable driving it as it planes out quickly and she can see out front easily (she is vertically challenged). Some day I may move to a V for the additional capacity and versatility, but we couldn't be happier today.

Jeff W
07-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Supreme boat company. You can buy them without the tower if you are a pure skier.

Affordable, direct drive with 350 and new.

ian ashton
07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
The Standard boat is really cool, I saw one at the Winderemere Wake Fest. There are a bunch of threads on WW about it too.

Waynes345
07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Supreme boat company. You can buy them without the tower if you are a pure skier.

Affordable, direct drive with 350 and new.

Yep, and goofy looking too.

kaneboats
07-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Goofy to me too.

Razzman
07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I totally forgot Sanger still makes their ski & barefoot DXII model (http://www.sangerboats.com/boats-DXII.html)closed bow. DOH! How could i forget that, it's probably the premier ski/foot boat ever made! For those not in the know Sanger has it's roots heavy in ski/foot heritage. Scott Pellaton (http://www.barefootcentral.info/WATN_scott_pellaton.htm) the National Sales Director for Sanger boats set the barefoot ski record in 1989 @ 135.74 mph that still stands today! Sanger is a west coast icon around since the early sixties and builds the most solid boat i've ever been in. A buddy of mine has a Sanger V215 (http://www.sangerboats.com/boats-V215.html)and it's probably one of the best boats i've ever driven.

motophile
07-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Lots of great responses and lots of great boats mentioned, but... My original post was longing for the $20,000 bare bones for da' po' folk. To me 20k is a lot. But I would pay it for a small, simple, get it done boat.

Waynes345
07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Lots of great responses and lots of great boats mentioned, but... My original post was longing for the $20,000 bare bones for da' po' folk. To me 20k is a lot. But I would pay it for a small, simple, get it done boat.

$20k will get you a real nice used boat these days.

motophile
07-17-2009, 04:51 PM
$20k will get you a real nice used boat these days.

How about financing and warranty on a used boat...? Anyone know a good place to finance used boats?

Razzman
07-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Right now it's hard enough to get a new boat financed unless your putting down a chunk, i'd heard banks were averaging 35-50% loan on used value. Unless the dealer has a dealer demo that's factory warrented or purchased independent warrenty coverage that won't happen either. The banks are super tight on luxury items right now, they're afraid of "walkaways" and i can't say i blame them.

motophile
07-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Well I just found out the boat show is this weekend here in DFW so I am going to check it out tomorrow. Hopefully they are having some special specials down there...

maxpower220
07-17-2009, 11:02 PM
How about financing and warranty on a used boat...? Anyone know a good place to finance used boats?

It will all depend on you, your credit, and the LTV ratio for the boat that you get. You should check with your local credit union or bank.

The dealer doesn't do anything but shop your info around for a loan. You can do that yourself on the internet, cut out the middleman (because he makes money too), and save some money. It is much better to arrive at the dealer with money in hand rather than waiting for them to do it. Also, once pre-approved for a boat loan, you have a better barganing tool. When you put it in the dealer's hand, he 'knows' all of the info (how much you are approved for, the best rate, etc) and you know nothing except what he tells you.