PDA

View Full Version : Air bags for tow vehicle

wolfeman131
07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Saw Razz's post under the trailer hitch and noticed Moombadaze's setup as he was pulling out last week. I didn't get a chance to get a good look at it, but would like to know more about the setups you guys have.

Where did you get it?
How difficult to install?
Performance?
Worth it?

Thanks!

moombadaze
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
1) I ordered the air bags thru the parts dept here at the dealership (Honda) and Im driving a dodge ram 1500.

2) Was not to hard at all to install--maybe thinking about it took longer- were to put everthing-routing and mounting wires,gauge and compresor than actually installing it all. Did not have to jack the truck up or take wheels off--just crawl under it and unbolt the old bump stops and then bolt the bags in place-that was maybe the easiest part.

3) performance--I can now run the truck level when filled with camping stuff and the boat hooked up. After letting the air out it still rides allmost like the bags are not there.

4)yes-see #3. other wise the ass of the truck would sag something fierce. Bouncing off the rear bump stops doing 75 on the freeway was not fun.

Hoopskier
07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Saw Razz's post under the trailer hitch and noticed Moombadaze's setup as he was pulling out last week. I didn't get a chance to get a good look at it, but would like to know more about the setups you guys have.

Where did you get it?
Summit racing
How difficult to install?
pretty easy-basic tools and drill
Performance?
Added more support than i could ever use
Worth it?
Unsure if i would do it again on my current vehicle

Thanks!

My tow vehicle is a 2005 sport trac. I don't tow very far about 2-3 miles to the landing. I don't carry much extra stuff when going to the lake or tow far, that is why I say that I'm not if i would do it again. If i did tow far and carried more stuff like on a trip I may find it more useful. I have my air set pretty low and I never change it. Ride good when empty.

I also have the very basic setup-air bags, brackets and air line. No on-board compressor or gauges. You have to fill the bags with a regular air compressor, gas station, or something like that. Was about $200.

The kit that i have is also provides about 1,000 lbs of additional support. That is more than my sport trac could ever handle. Nice to know its there if I ever do need it.

Razzman
07-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I installed the Ride Control System (http://www.airliftcompany.com/ride_control.html#ride_control)from Air Lift Company. I also installed the Load Controller II Compressor System (http://www.airliftcompany.com/load_controllerII.html) as well for a single set of bags. This setup supports up to 2,000lbs @ 100psi. When not using it i run 5psi in them. My Shasta trip i ran 65psi as the truck bed was loaded with camp gear plus the toungue weight. Rode like a dream and towed way better and smoothly without that annoying pogo/pivot effect.

I ordered through Amazon.com and got the whole setup for $320 shipped. On my '07 GMC Sierra Crewcab the bag install was more involved than 'Daze. Had to jack up, remove wheels, drill frame holes, install bags and route hoses for a safe and protected route. Even with all of that the compressor install in the cab was a pain! Finding an access point in the firewall was impossible due to the crowded engine bay. I found an access point under the door sill and went that route. The hardest part is finding a dry location for the compressor and the engine bay is not an option due to heat.

All in all it's a well worth addition and makes towing much safer.

RobertJ
07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I am looking at the Firestone air bags with the no drill set up for my 00' Durango. I don't think I will put the compressor in, I will just fill with my house compressor. $269 is the best deal I can find for the bags.

I am tired of having a droopy rear and I hope this will help.

Razzman
07-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I'll bet you Robert after a few fills you'll add the compressor. My buddy who has bags only is constantly messing with his, i just sit in the cab in the A/C and push a button. :p

jester
07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Robert, just add the compressor now and you will not wish you had added it later. Never know when you are going to need to fill up the bags more when on the road. You could also install a little tank for the time your truck or boat tire goes flat and you need a little more air in it.

moombadaze
07-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Robert, I had air shocks on a old camaro that i used to tow my 2nd boat with and it gets very old quickly finding a place to add air, so when i knew i was adding air bags to my truck i got the compressor at the same time--its worth it.

mmandley
07-17-2009, 02:40 AM
Pretty sweet idea. I think ill have to add some to the truck also. I right now with my truck hieght i have to crank the boat to its top position on the jack to get it over the hitch ball. When i drop it on the truck the boat is completly level. I even checked it with a level LOL I want that boat axle supporting all the weight not my truck. The regular tongue weight is enough without the added boat nost dipping down. It sits just lower then my tonno cover.

My truck sags a little but i wouldnt mind it sitting level again.