PDA

View Full Version : I (finally!) got the girlfriend to try wakeboarding, and she ROCKED!

ian ashton
07-16-2009, 10:24 AM
After countless times of her going out with us, spotting, driving, and everything I finally convinced her to give it a try. She has seen me teach probably 6 or 7 other people this season, and I guess was nervous that she wouldn't do well.

On her 4th pull she popped up and rode it, and the rest is history!

Here are a few pictures. I was driving and taking pics (didn't have a spotter) so I couldn't get very many/very good shots.

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3085&stc=1&d=1247753746

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3086&stc=1&d=1247753746

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3087&stc=1&d=1247753746

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3088&stc=1&d=1247753746

I am so proud! These pictures are of her first run. On her second shot we got her body position straightened out, but I didn't really get any pictures. She rides a CWB Lotus/Sage combo that I bought from BBB a few months back, and it seems to fit her perfectly, she really looked solid on it.

kaneboats
07-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Awesome! Great news for you. That's definitley an unenhanced OB wake but the water sure looks nice.

ian ashton
07-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Awesome! Great news for you. That's definitley an unenhanced OB wake but the water sure looks nice.

Yep, Outback with no ballast or passengers, lol. Its the best "teaching" wake ever, because it eliminates the intimadation of the wake once your up.

This was on Lake Huron, in Grand Bend Canada last week. The water is usually pretty nice until about 10am or so.

moombadaze
07-16-2009, 10:47 AM
good job-she looks like she's a natural--stance and all look great for just the 1st ride.

jester
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
That is great. It is always rewarding to help someone get up and the GF is even more of a bonus. Also I see you have a spotter in the boat. Just becasue it has 4 legs does not mean you could not put a flag in its mouth.

brenpire
07-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Ian, is it July already? i forgot all about grand bend. how was it?

Nice work getting the G-friend up. The more they are into it the more fun you have.

danimal365
07-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Lucky for us no flag is required in Michigan

mmandley
07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Nice work Ian and GF. Looks like she is having the time of her life. I know when Claudia first got up on the surf board she couldn't stop smiling and wanting more of it.

ian ashton
07-19-2009, 05:20 PM
she couldn't stop smiling and wanting more of it.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahha

Sorry.

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA!

jjolson
07-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Way to Go!

mmandley
07-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Little update Ian.

Sunday we were out at Yale Lake and Claudia got up for the first time on her second pull that day. Id say maybe 7 or 8 pulls to get her up over 2 weekends. She rode about 1 minute 2 different times before her hands were sore.

I was very proud of her and all she could talk about all day was how she made it up lol.

Well now i have another rider in the rotation each day hee hee.

mmandley
07-31-2009, 03:59 AM
mmandley -- another person in the rotation - thats fantastic - similar story with with my wife - there is a downside - new gear.... had my wife riding my boys board- just stuffed four bills into a new set-up for the Mrs. - happy birthday... at least it isn't jewlery...

Yea i feel ya here. We spent 500 on the limited edition melissa boots and board back in May for AWS Demo days. Ive been patiently waiting for her to try this out so i would know if i wasted my money or not LOL.

Thankfuly its not a waste. On the sad side my back hasnt recovered completly and its making me nervous, if it doesnt recover soon then my wake boarding times maybe over and its strickly surfing. =(

Bad back plus stress from wake boarding pulls and crashes = very painfull work weeks.

SEARK
07-31-2009, 10:46 AM
On the sad side my back hasnt recovered completly and its making me nervous, if it doesnt recover soon then my wake boarding times maybe over and its strickly surfing. =(

I've noticed as I get older that the surfing is not a bad thing or something to do while we wait for the water to get right. It's becoming something that I really look foward to doing as the weekend approaches. I don't enjoy the falls of the wakeboard like I used to. That 10.5 mph fall on the surfboard sure doesn't hurt all week at work.

moombadaze
07-31-2009, 11:15 AM
my progresion from pain--

waterskiing=faceplants at 30mph
to
kneeboarding=faceplants at 20?mph
to
wakeboarding=faceplants at 17mph-was not very good at all!
to
tubing=being flung off the tube at 20mph
to
surfing=faceplants at 10mph--no pain-love it

mmandley
07-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Yea i hear ya Moombadaze.

Well i went to the doc today and she said no wake boarding for at least a week or two. I can surf as long as the pull ups don't hurt. I have another pinched nerve and she said she is pretty sure its from the stress of being pulled out of the water by the boat.

Shes pretty familiar with wake boarding and surfing and she said she sees lots of wake boarding accidents but not to make surfing.

Surfing it is for a few weeks i guess. I love surfing so its not a bad thing. I just really want to get some air on the wake board and that was my goal. Be able to go wake to wake and get some air.

lancesaville
08-01-2009, 11:50 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahha

Sorry.

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA!

Ian, you're terrible :)

dereklschmidt
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
That's awesome man, I taught my gf a couple years back. Bought her the Ronix Dahlia this year, she loves it. Finally convinced her to ride doubles with me about a month ago, if you haven't done it, you should. It's a blast!! Got a good pic of us too...

smokedog2
08-05-2009, 07:11 PM
don't fall that is my plan!

(pain?)

ian ashton
08-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Ian, you're terrible :)

Finally, someone responded, lol.

ian ashton
08-06-2009, 01:51 PM
That's awesome man, I taught my gf a couple years back. Bought her the Ronix Dahlia this year, she loves it. Finally convinced her to ride doubles with me about a month ago, if you haven't done it, you should. It's a blast!! Got a good pic of us too...

THATS AWESOME! I want to ride doubles, that looks like a ton of fun. Unfortunately I don't think I can give her enough ballast for me to be able to clear her, the wake would probably intimidate L too much to stay up, lol.

wolfeman131
08-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Ian, I've heard it isn't the size of your wake, it's how you use it :)