PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil 15w40 Need help .

EMMAS MOOMBA
07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Like to know what everyone runs in there in engine. I have 08 lsv 5.7. Doing the first 10 hour oil change. Also do u need to change trans fluid like the book says. dealer told me if it is pink and clean wait. I run a auto shop so we carry rotella t is that ok to use . thanks andy .

MOOMBA_97
07-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I know alot of guys like the synthetic but I have used the Rotello for the last few oil changes. I used to use Castol. I know Indmar recommends Pennzoil but I have never liked it.

Monty

robster1213
07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I know alot of guys like the synthetic but I have used the Rotello for the last few oil changes. I used to use Castol. I know Indmar recommends Pennzoil but I have never liked it.

Monty

I will second that!

Razzman
07-29-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm not going to get into a pissing war about all other oils & Rotella as some people seem to think it's ok to use it in everything but I'm just gonna says this, use oil other than what's recommended (marine use) and if you have engine issues Indmar can void the warrenty, seen it done.

I've seen Mercruiser & Volvo both do it. I've seen Harley-Davidson do it. All because of using Rotella. If your going to ask this question then ask it of someone in the know, ie: the dealer and get his take on it as he's the one you'll be worrying about.

So i'll ask this, why would you use an oil other than what is recommended especially during break in period? Rotella is cheap hence the reason most people use it. As most boats only change fluid once every season what's the big cost savings? Especially since the cost of an engine is far greater if something was to happen and your warrenty is voided.

Like i said i'm not trying to start a war regardless of who uses it, regardless of what the SAE specs are or who said it's ok. Why chance it?

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-29-2009, 04:01 PM
i called moomba/sc personally cause dealer isn't really that close to me and auto zone didn't have marine oil. can't remember the guy i talked to but he said anything other then pennzoil will void the warranty so i'm not gonna chance it

mmandley
07-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Jeepers. Well good to know that. I happen to be a big Penzoil fan myself LOL. This year im biting the costs and letting AWS do my service. They did the 20hr service and im going to pay them for winterization and summerazation this year since its the first year.

Just don't want to risk any problems the first season change with the boat. Next year ill get more into doing it all myself.

maxpower220
07-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Use any oil that meets or exceeds the requirements laid out in your owner's manual. The brand that you choose is that, a choice. You like Coke, I like Pepsi, we are both happy.

c.rix
07-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Im sure if you dont have your dealer or indmar service certified dealer do the service and maintainace on your boat they will try to void warranty any way and there is no f-ing way I am paying 300+ dollars to simply change oil sorry

VA LSV
07-30-2009, 06:45 AM
From the owners manual.

Indmar recommends 15W-40 Pennzoil Marine in their
engines. If not available, use a 15W40 motor oil with an
A.P.I. classification rating of SL/SJ/CI4/CH4/CG4 or
equivilent. Synthetic oils are not recommended until after
the engine has been run for 100 hours.

EMMAS MOOMBA
07-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the help. But if you look at the #s for rotella and penzoil there the same. both oils are high load oils thats it. It would be a good law suit if moomba would void my warranty. The only thing diffrent is it ,says marine. I sell oil at a auto shop. And i have compared both oils and see no diffrence. If iam wrong let me know thanks andy

kaneboats
07-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I think the answer is right above straight from the manual.

szeh
07-30-2009, 02:49 PM
From the owners manual.

Indmar recommends 15W-40 Pennzoil Marine in their
engines. If not available, use a 15W40 motor oil with an
A.P.I. classification rating of SL/SJ/CI4/CH4/CG4 or
equivilent. Synthetic oils are not recommended until after
the engine has been run for 100 hours.

This is also on the Indmar web site.

http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/faq.html#2.4

"Indmar recommends (and uses at our factory) Pennzoil Marine 15W40 Motor Oil. If Pennzoil 15W40 Marine Oil is not available in your area, we suggest using 20W40 or 20W50 oil meeting the API specification of SJ/CG4 or better.

Synthetic oil that meets our requirement of 15W40and API rating of SJ/CJ4 is acceptable to use after 100 hours or operation with the recommended (not synthetic) oil. The use of synthetic oil does not alter the requirement for oil changes at 50-hour intervals.

Older operator manuals, and other publications that are not regularly updated will not be revised to show this latest engine oil recommendation. Current operator manuals, and other service publications that receive regular updates will receive this revised recommendation the next time they are updated".

Scott

gus 08 mobius lsv
08-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Im sure if you dont have your dealer or indmar service certified dealer do the service and maintainace on your boat they will try to void warranty any way and there is no f-ing way I am paying 300+ dollars to simply change oil sorry

i agree with ya there its very expensive for a fairly minor job with the right equipment. is anyone else doing their own oil changes even though the engine is under factory warranty and if something goes wrong will moomba try to pass the blame to me cause i'm not certified? i got got 2 messages to rob from sc/moomba and haven't heard back yet. my neighbor has a pump to get all the oil out and my dealer said he doesn't mind but then again he's not the one standing behind the engine in my boat!

zegm
08-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I wrote this awhile back.
I sit here and read all of the post about what oil to use (I like Mobile One). I sit here and read about should I do it or should my let my dealer do it (I do it). And I sit here and see discussions about will they honor the warranty or not, lawsuits etc.
Then I sat back and thought, I am a motorhead, motorcycles, cars, boats and even lawn mowers (which I put Mobile One in), I have rebuilt or modified all these engine types. Being a motorhead I have motorhead friends with similiar interest. Now I sit here and think when has someone I know or know of destroyed an engine due to oil selections in the past 30 years????????????? Ah NO! I did smoke a Honda motorcycle engine but that was because the hill was so steep and the oil pickup was in the front of the engine that it starved for oil. But that wasn't the oils fault!
I think I have come to the conclusion that if you pick a high quality oil and change it when it is due (the 3k rule with cars drives me crazy, throw you money away) then you are going to be good!!!! IT might take years and several columns of data before you can determine that brand A (Castrol) had less wear on the crank than brand B (Rotella). So to sum this up have any of you had a friend who does take care of their car or boat have an engine failure related to oil? The only ones that I think I see are these older cars running around blowing blue smoke, sure everything is so loose it might fall out but heck even they are running.
Change your oil, make sure it has the SAE grades Indmar wants and quit worrying about it. If the engine does let go then there was something wrong with it before you bought it and it will be obvious and it will be covered by waranty!

Oh I got Mobile One in ours, I know I put it in there myself!

szeh
08-23-2009, 08:30 AM
zegm...I agree with you. Just use a good quality oil that meets the specs asked by your engine manufacturer and you'll be good. I started using Rotella just because I have it readily available where I work.

Just check your oil level and change it when you should and you shouldn't have any problems! Oh, and I use NAPA Gold oil filters...just to start more crap. ;) HA!

Scott

kaneboats
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
There is a website where a guy cut open all the oil filters and demonstrated why some of the top brands (rhymes with "sham") are just a bunch of hype while some of the cheap ones are excellent.