PDA

View Full Version : Packing Replace or Install Dripless Packing

KarMobLSV06
07-14-2009, 03:14 PM
I've got an 06 LSV with 260 hours on it and the shaft packing needs replaced. It is leaking so much the bilge is running way too much. A Stream, not a drip anymore.

I tried to get a wrench on the packing nut over the weekend to tighten but couldn't get to it. I was considering asking dealer how much it was to replace then thought if I have to do this about every 3 years or 250 hours would it be more cost effective to have them install the Packingless Shaft Seal System-the "dripless" shaft as are on the newer boats. Anyone have any experience with this or advice? Thanks.

KarMobLSV06
07-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Talked to service manager at dealer and he said that replacing the packing probably is not necessary to just try to adjust it, tighten the packing nut, so that it drips every 30-45 seconds and test it while in the water in forward gear (easiest to do while on the trailer at a boat ramp). So I am going to try to find a set of channel locks or something to try to do it myself again. On the V-Drive it is pretty difficult to get at the packing nut and locking nut-any tips?

LSM
07-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I've got an 06 LSV with 250 hrs and I recently replaced my packing for the first time. It looked like it was going to be tough but it was not.

I used a set of channel locks just big enough to fit the nut. I found it best to access it from the V-drive cover. Reach down with channel locks on the right hand side of the shaft while facing the rear of the boat. It is agrivating to start with but once you get the big nut loose you've got the worst over with.

My packing leak was streaming so much my bilge was running every 5 minutes. Mine did not have any packing left in it.

One thing I learned is that the packing rope is only inside the big nut. Not down inside that brass bushing piece. (at least mine is this way)

I ordered packing from a Moomba dealer but what the guy sent me was too large. I found packing elsewhere that worked better. I can send you some if you need it.

Anyway, I cut 2 pieces of packing to length. I pushed one piece of packing rope up inside the nut. Then I started the nut with my hand. I pulled it down hand tight, then I backed it off and put another piece in the nut 180 degrees from the first piece.

I again started the nut and pulled it down hand tight. A 3rd piece would not fit so I snugged the large nut down with the channel locks. It dripps around 1 drop every 15 - 20 seconds.

I pulled up that small jam nut as I finished. It wasn't really that bad.

Let me know if you need packing. I can get you some.

VA LSV
07-16-2009, 06:19 AM
I went with the OJ dripless seal on my 05 LSV. No problems and no drips. Search the archives and you'll find detailed step by step installation instructions.

KarMobLSV06
07-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks LSM. I stopped by Autozone and got a pair of short handled channel locks that look like they are just big enought to fit the nut. Hopefully those will work. I am going to try to just tighten it as my dealer said. Hopefully there is packing still in the nut, if not, I'll try to get some from the local dealer where my boat is located. Thanks for the offer.

cab13367
07-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Get an adjustable plumber's wrench from Home Depot. Works great!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100190643&N=10000003+90054