PDA

View Full Version : Fusion Tower Speakers $115 - HELP!

Schneider
07-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Ok... i just purchased a pair of Fusion Wakeboard Tower Speakers from the ebay "Fusion Liquidation Sale." I am told, and have located these for upwards of $1,700. I just bought a pair for $115.
If they actually make it to my doorstep, I will be a very happy man!!
One Problem!!! Clamps are too Big for my tower. My stock tower is 1.63" (I think) and this one only adjusts to 2.25." The price I pay for the deal.......
Anyone have any Ideas for me on this?
Inserts, etc.????

Jeff W
07-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Use some sort of strong rubber that lines between the clamp and the tower. Find something 1/2" thick and pliable so it will make the full way around the tower.

Sharpie647
07-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I used a piece of that 1 1/4 radiator hose, same stuff as the water intake hose on most of our boats. I cut it the width of the clamp and then by length so it wrapped around the tower. You might need a thinner walled hose depending on how much space you have to take up.

brain_rinse
07-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the heads-up! I just went to ebay and bought the last pair of all chrome. :)

Jeff W
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Has anyone ever heard these before? That's a SICK price. I may pick some up here if you guys give it a god review.

Let me know.

brain_rinse
07-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Has anyone ever heard these before? That's a SICK price. I may pick some up here if you guys give it a god review.

Let me know.
I did some quick searching before buying and I think they are as good as it gets for car audio based tower speakers. To do any better you'd be looking at HLCD's (NVS, Wetsounds) and you're not going to find those for $115 shipped :) Better hurry though if you're going to pull the trigger!

Jeff W
07-14-2009, 05:03 PM
I did some quick searching before buying and I think they are as good as it gets for car audio based tower speakers. To do any better you'd be looking at HLCD's (NVS, Wetsounds) and you're not going to find those for $115 shipped :) Better hurry though if you're going to pull the trigger!

Ordered a set. :cool:

Why not, right? For that price - you can't beat it.

LOL @ comparing them to Wetsounds.

brain_rinse
07-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Ordered a set. :cool:

Why not, right? For that price - you can't beat it.

LOL @ comparing them to Wetsounds.
Nice, congrats! Definitely no comparison in loudness to Wetsounds or any HLCD setup.

Jeff W
07-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Nice, congrats! Definitely no comparison in loudness to Wetsounds or any HLCD setup.

Haha. My buddy has Wetsounds 3some on his tower and a 420 in the cockpit on his X2. Incredible stuff.

Excited to get these onto the Outback.

Schneider
07-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I like the radiator hose idea.....thanks!
My buddy owned a boat shop and sold many of these for $1,700. He freaked when he saw them at this price. Apparently they went out of business and the bank is liquidating the inventory.
No warranty.....but what the H-E-double-L
No we're all waiting for the fed-ex guy :p

jester
07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I also could not pass this up. i mean $115 even if they suck i can replace the speakers for better ones and still would not be out any money. Or list them on the local wanted ad's and i be someone would pick them up for that price.

Hydrofoiljunky
07-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I pulled the trigger and bought some too. Has anyone received theirs yet/Hooked em up yet? Curious to see how they sound. I read one review from a guy that said they were really flippin loud and sound clean. I'll get mine hooked up Friday when the FED X guy gets here :-) Will report back if I get mine up before ya'll. Have a good one and thanx, I think, :-) to Schneider for finding these.

drewsky
07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
I bought them... They're awesome... I had a pair of the 6.5's from a few years ago, and kept them when I sold my old Boat... Put them on the 07 XLV along with a pair of the Combo - 6.5's, 5.25's, and they are awesomely loud...

They make me feel old.. :)

I thought they were worth the 330 I paid for them... I shoulda waited.. :)

Mike G
07-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know if the stock Kicker Amp (ZX200.4) will be enough for these speakers as well as the 6 speakers in the boat? I was just about to order them and noticed the recommended watt amps of 500 - 600.

brain_rinse
07-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know if the stock Kicker Amp (ZX200.4) will be enough for these speakers as well as the 6 speakers in the boat? I was just about to order them and noticed the recommended watt amps of 500 - 600.
Not a chance, unfortunately. Even without the boat speakers that amp still isnt enough.

Mike G
07-15-2009, 11:10 PM
I apprciate the advice - I was afraid that was going to be the case. I still may make the purchase and just upgrade my amp.

brain_rinse
07-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I apprciate the advice - I was afraid that was going to be the case. I still may make the purchase and just upgrade my amp.
You could keep the stock amp running the boat speakers, and add another for the towers. I'd get one capable of running a sub too, even if you don't add it right away.

Mike G
07-15-2009, 11:35 PM
what would you recommend for another amp (brand and watts)

jester
07-16-2009, 12:18 AM
I bought them... They're awesome... I had a pair of the 6.5's from a few years ago, and kept them when I sold my old Boat... Put them on the 07 XLV along with a pair of the Combo - 6.5's, 5.25's, and they are awesomely loud...

They make me feel old.. :)

I thought they were worth the 330 I paid for them... I shoulda waited.. :)

What amp do you have running them? I also have a set of the 6.5's on my boat right now and i am thinking about keeping them and adding these to the tower also. How did you wire them with the 6.5's? Same amp, differnt amp?

rmk818
07-16-2009, 01:44 AM
Can use black pvc pipe (if your tower is black) or white if it is polished. Cut the PVC pipe to width of clamp and then cut along the side to slip over your tower bar.

Jeff W
07-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Cant wait to get mine. They should be here by Friday.

Too bad I don't even have a tower yet :D:cool:

Tower will be here middle of next week.

For you audio guys - I have an 02' Outback with a Kenwood deck and 6 in cabin speakers. I thought that I would just leave those running the stock set up and then I would purchase an amp that I can run both my tower speakers and one 10 or 12" sub with. Can you recommend an amp that will power both?

RobertJ
07-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Order mine last night, did not need them but what the heck. I can't pass up a bright shiny deal that seams as good as this one. I can't wait to hear the feedback from those of you that are getting yours before mine arrive.

jester
07-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Ok mine came in last night. I will get them installed on the tower later on tonight. Schenider great find. I love how this fourm helps me keep busy during work and finds more ways for me to spend $$$$.

Hydrofoiljunky
07-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Well I got my Fusions up and already had wiring from my last Tower Speakers so it was an easy installation. My question is I'm running a Kicker 700.5 Amp for the tower speakers and the sub however I'm only using 2 channels to poweer these Fusions. Do you think I can bridge this amp to push these speakers Or should I get a different amp? I'm a little hesitant trying to bridge these because I've tried it before on the last Kicker Tower Speakers and my amp would always eventually go into Protection mode and shut down. Also, I've heard that you can actually blow speakers by not running enough power to them? Is that true? Thanks guys

Chad

Razzman
07-18-2009, 09:37 PM
It's better too much power than not enough as you can always turn down the gain to an appropriate level. Underpowering can hurt the sreakers as you turn up the volume trying to push them. Before i answer your questions though i need more info.

What's your current system?
What are the specs of the Fusions?
What does Fusion recommend to power them at?
What's your power source? 1 Batt or 2?
Isolator or perko switch?

Hydrofoiljunky
07-19-2009, 03:31 AM
Hey Razz, thanx for responding. I'm not real good at stereo stuff or terminology of, but I will do my best.

I have a Kicker zx 200.4 running 4 cabin speakers, and two more running off the Deck. Kicker zx 700.5 running the two fusion 3 way tower speakers off of two channels, two are still open, and a Kicker 10 L5. I have two batteries but no perko or isolator switch hooked up. Basically just carry a battery backup. I don't have the Fusion manual in front of me but here is what I pulled off the Ebay Listing.
Combo speaker consists of a 6.5", 5.25" and a tweeter.
Comes as a pair(total of 4 speakers and 2 tweeters.
500 to 600 watts amp recomended.
Speakers are Diamond Audio D6 speakers

In the manual it talked about Bi amping?? And all this crazy stuff :-) Thanks in advance for any insight you could give me.

Chad

It's better too much power than not enough as you can always turn down the gain to an appropriate level. Underpowering can hurt the sreakers as you turn up the volume trying to push them. Before i answer your questions though i need more info.

What's your current system?
What are the specs of the Fusions?
What does Fusion recommend to power them at?
What's your power source? 1 Batt or 2?
Isolator or perko switch?

Razzman
07-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Ok i have a few statements and questions.

As Fusions site no longer exists and i can't see the config, are there one set of binding posts per module or two? Crossovers?

Ignore the bi-amping reference

Install an isolator or a perko at the minimum and run both batts. You need to get the stereo gear off the starting circuit. Two amps draw a lot of juice and this will insure you have juice for the stereo and juice to start as well as protect circuits. You can do all of this on one batt but it's not the best way to do it.

brain_rinse
07-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Haven't wired them up yet, but I put a quick pic of them installed in my mods thread: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?p=70551#post70551

jester
07-20-2009, 12:24 PM
So i replaced my old Fusions with these new Fusions and they sounds much better then what i had. Easy install since they where all ready wired correct and I had the smaller tower mount all ready installed. One thing i would say is that screw that goes from the tower mount to the speakers use lock tight. Once of the speakers made its way loose on the drive home so i had to pull over and pull it down before it would drop down.

Jeff W
07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Mine showed up today. I'm stoked.

brain_rinse
07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Agree on the loctite... Based on the reviews I read of failed clamps, I made sure I had them where I wanted them, then used red loctite on all 3 bolts. I also plan to get some aluminum polish to try to maintain the finish. In the end though, if the clamps fail and the finish peels it will still be worth it for $115. :)

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-22-2009, 09:45 PM
if anyone is not happy with the fusion tower speakers they bought let me know what you want for them. send a pm so i'm sure to get it

brain_rinse
07-22-2009, 11:27 PM
I just hooked mine up to the stock 200.4 which is ridiculously undersized for these speakers, but I wanted a quick test. Overall I'm very impressed with the sound quality, and once powered by an appropriate amp I can tell these things will scream. I didn't push them hard at all so this isn't much of a review, but I can sleep better knowing I'll have some nice sounding tower speakers once I get the new amp installed. :)

RobertJ
07-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Got mine today. I will put them on the shelf and wait for winter to install another amp and the speakers. to those of you that picked these up keep us posted on any mount changes you make. I agree they are heavy speakers for a single mount and with the issues posted I am going to try and find a way to make them a little more secure. A quick idea I had was to get longer bolts and put a nylock on but I don't think there is room.

Jeff W
07-23-2009, 08:34 AM
I just hooked mine up to the stock 200.4 which is ridiculously undersized for these speakers, but I wanted a quick test. Overall I'm very impressed with the sound quality, and once powered by an appropriate amp I can tell these things will scream. I didn't push them hard at all so this isn't much of a review, but I can sleep better knowing I'll have some nice sounding tower speakers once I get the new amp installed. :)

post some pics of them up on the tower

brain_rinse
07-23-2009, 09:23 AM
post some pics of them up on the tower
of course!

Haven't wired them up yet, but I put a quick pic of them installed in my mods thread: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?p=70551#post70551

newty
07-24-2009, 04:27 PM
As far as I know each pod will be a 2ohm load so be careful bridging these. That will put them at a 1 ohm load and your amp will get hot quick. 6.5 side is a component set-up with a x-over inside. The 5.25 is a coax speaker that is not run to the x-over and is wired straight to the terminal on the can. The problem with the striped claps comes down to operator error. The bolts are stainless and the clamps are aluminum and if you get in a hurry you will cross-thread them pretty easy. Start both screws by hand and get several threads in there before you start really tightening them down. The above comment about putting a coat of metal polish is 100% correct. This will prolong the life of the cans. keep the bugs cleaned off of them too. I noticed some pitting where foreign material sits for too long ie. dirt, waterspots, bugs, road grime. If you keep them protected and power them properly they will more than pay for themselves.

jester
07-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Since i am sitting at home still waiting for my boat crew to show up i decied to post the speakers on the tower.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m429/j3stert/IMG_6888.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m429/j3stert/IMG_6890.jpg

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-25-2009, 03:58 PM
damn those speakers look sick on the tower rack... just a little too late finding the post i missed out on a heck of a deal!