PDA

View Full Version : What is the best cover?

jetpilot2002
07-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I just bought a brand new 2008 XLV and I need to know what is the best cover to buy? I will be trailering with it sometimes. I have looked at evolution covers, is this the best cover for what I need or are there others out there that are just as good or better?
________
Volvo s40 picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Volvo_S40)

brain_rinse
07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Evolution is getting all of Rankin's business these days. There's a thread on wakeworld about all the issues people are having with Rankin. I'd go Evolution.

jetpilot2002
07-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Evolution is getting all of Rankin's business these days. There's a thread on wakeworld about all the issues people are having with Rankin. I'd go Evolution.

What issues are they having with Rankin covers? Also what is the biggest difference between a Evolution and a Rankin cover?
________
999 (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_999)

brain_rinse
07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
What issues are they having with Rankin covers? Also what is the biggest difference between a Evolution and a Rankin cover?
Not sure on the physical cover differences. Here is the link to the ww thread. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/714189.html?1247244078

jetpilot2002
07-15-2009, 12:27 PM
How are the great lakes boat shop covers?
________
BUY SILVER SURFER VAPORIZER (http://www.vaporshop.com/silver-surfer-vaporizer.html)

MI-LSV
07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Don't know anything about the Great Lakes Boat Top covers, but they appear to be just like the Factory Moomba cover which you should not trailer with.

I did the same research you are doing a few weeks back. I emailed both Rankin and Evolution. After receiving the responces I called Cory at Evolution. He took about 20 minutes out of his day to go over the cover and what my needs were. After talking with him I was ready and ordered it. My cover was the first 2008 LSV ordered. Because of this it took a little longer to produce, Cory had to go to a local Moomba dealer and make templates from a 2008.

Through this process Cory kept me informed and answered my emails very promptly when I had questions.

I received the cover last week and am very happy with it. I will try to get a picture to post soon, but don't know when I will have the cover on again, since I specifically purchased it to trailer the boat long distances, otherwise my baby lives indoors.

moombadaze
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I am interested in the Evolutions covers also as I hate towing with the boat open--seems like i always get stuck in a massive rain storm.

Group buy???

jetpilot2002
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM
I am interested in the Evolutions covers also as I hate towing with the boat open--seems like i always get stuck in a massive rain storm.

Group buy???

I have not ordered mine yet, so I would be in. Wonder how many we need for a group discounted price?
________
R1100rs (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R1100RS)

danimal365
07-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm also interested in a towable cover. It bothers me that our stock mooring cover isn't meant to be trailered.

Razzman
07-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm also interested in a towable cover. It bothers me that our stock mooring cover isn't meant to be trailered.

Just curious but why does that bother you? That's the norm for all inboards i've seen. Feel lucky you got one, some new boats don't come with it, it's an add on.

jetpilot2002
07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
To get a discount, we would need to order four (4) covers, all the same color and we would get 10% off, so instead of $830 it would be $747. Let me know who is interested.
________
PORTABLE VAPORIZER REVIEWS (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

moombadaze
07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
bad timing for me but I would be in--I would think the covers would be black?

danimal365
07-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Razz,
Covers are not included, they are an option. I just think that it would be nice if the full covers were trailerable.

jetpilot2002
07-16-2009, 03:06 PM
bad timing for me but I would be in--I would think the covers would be black?

I want black also, so we just need two more people. Let me know who else would be interested, here is the link to there website: http://evolutioncovers.com/
________
Herbalaire vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/herbalaire/)

JBMoombaMan
07-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Too late for me...... I ordered a new evolution cover for my XLV a few weeks back. I would have liked to save the 10%....... That's 1/2 a tank of gas!

I can't wait to get the cover!

Razzman
07-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Razz,
Covers are not included, they are an option. I just think that it would be nice if the full covers were trailerable.

Wasn't an option on mine, was included and not marked up.

MI-LSV
07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Here are the pictures of the cover on the boat before I pulled it 40 miles. Cover worked great. Was very happy to have it since it rained along the trip.

brain_rinse
07-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Here are the pictures of the cover on the boat before I pulled it 40 miles. Cover worked great. Was very happy to have it since it rained along the trip.
That looks great! Thanks for posting the pics.

moombadaze
07-22-2009, 09:45 AM
MI-LSV, Great looking boat you have there-love the blue. Good to hear that cover works--everthing stayed nice and dry? and does it make it any harder towing not being able to see "thru" the boat for traffic behind you?

Thanks

MI-LSV
07-22-2009, 11:15 AM
daze, thanks, we love the britney blue. Everything stayed dry, clean and in the boat. No more having to remove seats to trailer, or clean the dead bugs out.

As for seeing traffic behind you, it not as bad as pulling an enclosed car trailer. You won't be able to see cars or motorcycles that are tucked in behind the boat, only the larger vehicles. Makes you have to use the outside mirrors. Might have to look into towing mirrors, but those never look good on the truck.

moombadaze
07-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Everything stayed dry, clean and in the boat. No more having to remove seats to trailer, or clean the dead bugs out.

Im sold on it now. just need some money to pay up for it. Anybody want/need a factory moomba 08 lsv black cover used one time-could be for sale soon.

mmandley
07-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Some have seen my cover and say its the upgraded Supra cover. At the reunion event in june we had lots of Supras and my cover was identical, just doesn't fit as snug. It has the tower cut outs with elastic boots, Velcro where MI-LSV had zippers, and attaches the same in the rear. The main difference is i have the straps cumming down the sides to attach it to the trailer frame.

Its a very sturdy and thick nylon cover weighting in around 40lbs when folded up off the boat.

Have you guys looking into these covers from Moomba? They have the Moomba logo and as for fit its slightly longer then my LSV but the tie down in the back takes all the slack out.

I can get some closer pics if you all want as its on the boat right now. I trailer with it all the time and never have a problem, AWS said this cover is a transport cover as its the save one they use on the boats they transport to the boat shows and such.

mmandley
07-22-2009, 04:54 PM

Thats one sharp looking boat and cover. Its the exact same colors as we almost bought, another member on here has that boat right now. We both were looking at the same boats but he took his home a few weeks before me lol.

I love your cover man, its snug and looks really sharp on the boat. I like the sip up sections by your tower feet also.

When towing do you get the air pushing the bow section down? Mine does that and i always think its going to pull the cover off the nose. Never does but looks like it.

As for seeing behind me, i could really care less who's behind me, even when the cover is off i cant see the jerks who tailgate me. I don't want to get hit from behind but i cant control it. Backing up does require some getting used to as you cant see anything behind you but then i generally have Claudia jump out and spot me if im paring it or something anyhow.

moombadaze
07-22-2009, 05:04 PM
I can get some closer pics if you all want as its on the boat right now. I

M, please and lots of em if possible--details

Thanks

mmandley
07-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Bleh just grabbed my camera and Claudia uploaded pics last night and forgot to charge it. Ill get some as soon as its charged up.

MI-LSV
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
M, Thanks.

I think your cover ( pictured in https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=8288&highlight=cover) is the same cover that came with my LSV. I was told not to trailer with this cover, that it would wear the gelcoat on the boat. In the owners manual it states "Your morring cover is not designed for trailering. Trailering with your cover installed may cause premature cover failures and boat damage. This damage is not warrantable."

The cover from Evolution has reforcements and pads placed in the cover to not damage the boat. It also utilizes hooks, that clip to the rub rail to secure the cover to the boat and allow it to be taunt. No need for poles, and the hassle of installing them.

When driving at highway speeds, the cover did not seem to move. No flapping or movement anywhere I could see. Even after a driving in a down pour for 30 minutes, the water just rolled off the cover, just a little bit came in at the tower pockets.

So far I am a very satasfied customer.

Cory has his warranty and installation directions on wakeoutlaws. (https://generalstore.wakeoutlaws.com/evo.php).

moombadaze
07-23-2009, 01:06 PM
mmandley, just looked at the cover photo that MI-LSV linked to, and it looks just like mine.

mmandley
07-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Ok sorry for the delay here the pictures.

Yes i know what ya mean by the trailering and such. What i was told si this cover can be used as a towing cover. Yes if can scratch the Gel Coat and if trailering for long distance to use clear plastic and wrap the boat a couple times where the cover attached to protect it.

The material is more then durable and i don't have lift poles in mine. It has a double reinforced sections at all seems and over the ski pylon.

This cover is a little big on the boat but on the Supra its an exact fit. This is an upgraded cover and not the stock factory one. I have an extra option charge on my MSRP for this cover.

I don't claim mine is better then anyone elses or the one your talking about. I do like yours and would love to get a closer view of it like a hands on view. To see the difference. I have towed several times with mine in the rain and it doesnt leak a drop, it has vents on the back to let out air pressure. AWS said it was the same cover they use on all the new boats to tow them all over the state for shows.

I'm just trying to see whats best and safest and not buy something i already have basically.

moombadaze
07-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Mike, thanks for the photos, but dang that looks just like my cover-at least how i remember it, it was on the boat one time overnight on a camping trip a week after buying the boat. Im going to pull the cover out of the box this weekend and look at the labels and see what it says.

What color is the bottom of your boat?

mmandley
07-24-2009, 05:17 AM
The bottom of my boat is the same at the top color, Its the tan with white in the middle.

buzcoats
08-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Count me in on the group buy for the evolution cover. Let me know soon cause I'm going to get one either way. Thanks

Mabel Lake XLV
08-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm interested in the group buy as well - 2005 Mobius XLV (black cover).

moombadaze
08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Looks like that will make 4

jetpilot2002--jet since you kinda started this what is the next step-just call Evolutions?
buzcoats
mabel Lake Xlv
myself

http://evolutioncovers.com/ (http://evolutioncovers.com/)

Anyone else????

KT Mobius
08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Do you think they will not charge for shipping?

Mabel Lake XLV
08-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Any update on this order? Are we in or can we order?

moombadaze
08-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Not sure whats happening with this--jetpilot has a new cover.

jetpilot2002
08-25-2009, 03:01 PM
I did not see a lot of interest when I started this thread, so I just ordered my cover without the group discount. So if you have enough people you just need to contact evolution and let him know, very good guy to deal with.
________
MFLB REVIEW (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

viking
09-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Is there still a group buy possibility? I'm interested. I'm going to take my boat to a local shop here in town and see what it will cost to make a custom fit tow cover as well.
Let me know?

_sT_
09-15-2009, 06:10 PM
I thought rain couldn't touch it at highway speeds (kidding!)

Anyway, I actually like towing without a cover on - these boats turn lots of heads. Though I see the value in at least having some sort of bow cover to help with air flow. My old IO had those snap down covers, which were fine. I liked to tow with the windshield closed and just the bow cover on.

All of the covers I've seen in this thread look REALLY nice though.

moombadaze
09-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Is there any interest in this--4 is what was needed-as per what Jetpilot stated earlier, Are you in? reply and when we have 4 I'll call Cory at evolutions and see if we can get this done. covers would be black.

Mabel Lake XLV
09-16-2009, 08:05 PM
I am in (again) - 2005 Mobius XLV black. Thanks Moombadaze for picking this back up.

gus 08 mobius lsv
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
sorry moombadaze i started a new thread cause i didn't see yours on this old thread but i'm in as well!

moombadaze
09-17-2009, 05:03 PM
See thread tittled "towable covers"---group buy

Viking-in on the buy?

viking
09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry Guys.........I have a local shop doing a custom cover for me. They are making it to color match my boat and perfect fit for less than the evolution cover would cost even with group buy. Can't argue with that and $100 in my pocket towards the seadek.

See thread tittled "towable covers"---group buy

Viking-in on the buy?

rvette
09-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I am interested. I emailed Cory late last week, problem is he has never done one for an Outback. He is checking to see if he can come up with a pattern. If he can do it I would be in for sure. I'll keep you posted.

moombadaze
09-18-2009, 03:43 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9260

see this to get in on the group buy