PDA

View Full Version : Moomba LSV -> need input

JTFIREPRO
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I put down 500.00 to hold a 2009 Moomba LSV because I want to get into the sport of wakeboarding and the LSV seems like the correct choice. The salesman had me sold until today. Another boat salesman from Sea Ray says I'm making a poor choice for my area.

I live closet to salt and brackish water and will be using the boat in this environment mostly. GALVESTON TEXAS AREA

The input I need is on the quality of ride in choppy water. You see I also want a boat in which I can cruise to Galveston eat some dinner and come back up the channel which puts me in open water for about 45 minutes. Also the area has 50+ ft boats all around as its a busy area, how will the wakes from the larger boats effect the Moomba's ride. I have and eight year old kiddo and my wife will be driving as well.

This will be my first boat purchase.

brain_rinse
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
You really need to demo and see for yourself. You're making the right choice for a wake boat, but big open water with 50' boats is a whole different matter.

kaneboats
07-08-2009, 10:49 PM
As good as the LSV is, it's purpose is not to be an open water boat. You have to sit down and study your priorities. They might change a lot after you start to enjoy the LSV though. I went from pure skier to 50/50 ski and wakeboard with my last boat to 40% surfing, 40% wakeboarding and 20% or less of skiing and tubing with the Outback. Maybe you should do a little boarding first and see if you are going to get addicted. Maybe you need a buddy with the open water boat and you can be the one with the wakeboard boat. Good luck. Lots of help here if you need it.

Kidder
07-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Which Sea Ray were you looking at if you don't mind me asking? The Fission 210 is nice but pretty damn expensive.

07-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Perhaps consider the XLV if you are using it on bigger waters. The size helps it handle the chop better then an LSV. Plus I don't know anyone who hasn't been saitisfied with an XLV, especially if you are wakeboarding or surfing..... the wake/wave is big.

Searay's are nice boats but if you want to wakeboard much or want to surf, you won't be totally satisfied until you have a V drive, I know I wasn't.

tprkolbas
07-09-2009, 12:27 PM
i agree with some of the other guys - the lsv is for wakeboarding, not the open water. i won't even take mine out on any of the great lakes or lake st. clair for that matter. it doesn't do that well in rough water. now if you want a great boat for boarding - you are making the right choice.

mofierka
07-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I bought a 08 LSV last year. I agree with kane on this one. I have plenty of friends with cruisers so when I feel the need, thats who I call and they call me when they want to wakeboard. I live on the intracoastal with tons of boat traffic and choppy conditions and its salt water. I planned on using the boat primarily for wakeboarding and a little cruising. I started out putting it in the salt water 80% and fresh 20%. A year later its 90% fresh and 10% salt and its now used strictly for wakeboarding/ wakesurfing. Due to the fact that I can always fing glass at the lake and the conditions are usually calm. Plus I feel much better when my boat is in the fresh water. Just the thought of salt water makes my cringe. In my opinion, the boat doesn't handle the chop well. Its a bad ass wakeboarding boat for sure.

TL7
07-13-2009, 10:07 PM
We have an 07 Outback and I can tell you it sucks in rough water. We want to trade it in soon for an LSV or Outback V (09) just for the v-drive, but we are keeping our fingers crossed that either of those two handle chop better than the Outback. We predominantly ride in a river, but when we vacation to a lake it beats us to death and leaves us soaked.

For the OP...prior to this boat we had a SeaRay 180. Great boat. Handled rough water very well, and it was only 18'. We had it in Clear Lake more times than I can count, as well as along the boardwalk in Kemah. You can't go wrong with a SeaRay, but if you end up being a die hard boarder like we became you will regret not having an inboard.

Mike G
07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
I agree with 501 and would suggest looking at the XLV. I was looking at an LSV at first but the XLV is a smoother ride in rough water and does produce an great wake.

gcombe74
07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
my advice period... demo demo demo.... given what you are looking for you will find hte right boat based on experience and what water conditions you face....

my advice.... never take a salesmans advice on some things... lets face its...they are in sales... you need your own experience to make the best decision for your and your family.

GeauxTigers
07-14-2009, 01:56 PM
A salesman is going to tell you what you want to hear. All the Moomba's are set up for wakeboarding/wakesurfing/skiing. If I wanted a boat for open water, I would have definitely purchased a different rig. Maybe a Cobalt like one of my buddies has. Let it be said he also shelled out about $100k for it, so I would expect much different amenities out of it. His kids wake board behind his boat but when we are out on the lake together guess who's boat gets to pull everyone on their boards???? You got it... The Moomba.

skiyaker
07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
amen to the demo advice. I was in a similar situation- trying to decide whether to buy an I/O, V drive, or direct drive. I looked at a lot of boats on dry land but couldn't make a decision until I met a Moomba dealer who dropped what he was doing to let me take the boat out and simulate what I would actually be doing when I went boating. That really helped me make a decision. btw got my new outback V out last weekend for my first slalom run; took my wife for her first board ride. What a great multisport boat!

moombadaze
07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
well after owning 11 boats (both salt and freshwater boats) and a 08 lsv now that i feel is the best boat for what im using it for right now, i would not buy it for what you are discribeing. I just dont think you will be happy in open water with it. will it do it? maybe/yes, will it be fun if it gets slightly rough? no.

MAPWPD
07-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I would never buy an inboard boat that would go in open water. You will be puting another bilge pump to stop the boat from sinking with the amount of water that would come over the bow. But I love the sports of wakeboarding and wake surfing. I have no use for skiing, tubing, or go fast boats. However, as I get older I might want a wooden boat of some kind maybe a Chris Craft if I hit the Donald Trump Lotto, but thats my familyand I. I agree with everyone else you need to purchase a boat more for you and your family. I may get yelled at for this but I think Mastercraft might have a boat more for open water that could also be a wakeboard specific boat. Just remember the main thing is that your wakeboarding. Moomba is more reasonable and a great boat, but Mastercraft has got a few models that might suit your needs more and I dislke I/O's after owning a inboard. They will be close in price to your Sea Ray so bring your check book.:D

08LSV
07-16-2009, 01:20 AM
I also agree with the Demo suggestion. I have an 08 LSV and love it.... For wakeboarding... We usually boat in brackish water on the River Delta near Sacramento in California and it operates fine. However when a larger 40'+ boat passes/meets us it gets a little rough. There have been a few times i have encountered boats of the size you mentioned and was very nervous. We made it through OK but I would not want that rough of a ride on a regular basis. It handles OK on rough water but it would get really old taking that abuse for 45mins. I know a lot of people are suggesting the XLV but I would tempt you to at least check out the largest Supra. The hull shape and depth give it a lot smoother ride in rough water. But I do love my Moomba. All in all. Demo a lot and buy the boat for what you will use it for the most. Happy hunting.