PDA

View Full Version : First time owner

skiyaker
07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi guys- long time boater first time owner. Just bought a "new" 2008 outback V; looked at lots of boats but felt the outback was the best value. I pick it up Friday at 5- plan to be on the lake by 6 breaking it in.

mofierka
07-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Congratulations!!!!! Just in time for the summer! Nothing better than picking up a brand new moomba. Lets see some pics of that bad boy. Enjoy!

moombadaze
07-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the Moomba boards, and yes put some pictures up, where ya at?

kaneboats
07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Congrats! List your location please. Lots of local owners on here that have great tips and advice. Enjoy!!!

skiyaker
07-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Hey thanks guys- I'm SO excited for this weekend. I'm here in the heartland- Muncie, IN. Usually boat on Brookville Lake. I looked all around the Midwest for the best deal- and in the end I decided to get the boat close to home from a dealer who will take care of me (Ron Haston in Anderson, IN- great guy) and who actually let me demo the boat. Here's the dealer pic- I'll post more after this weekend.

Suprahunter
07-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Congrats on your new baby that's a good looking boat.
Did you have dealers that would not allow you to test drive the boat?

Jeff W
07-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Nice looking rig. Congrats and welcome. Lots of great info here.

BlueGiant
07-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Congratulation on the great new boat. You may want to check out the Muncie Waterski club. They us the Waterbowl and it is a good place to ski and wakeboard.

We go to Brookville during the week but it is so busy on the weekends. My daughter lives in Bluffton Indiana and we go to Roush resevoir up by Huntington. It is small but a nice place to go.

skiyaker
07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey blue- I'd love to get into the muncie waterski club but I'm told they're full. If you have any connections let me know- I'll buy you a tank of gas or something next time I see you on Brookville;). Is Huntington less crowded on weekends than Brookville?

Supra- I had more than one dealer turn me down for a test ride or just not return my call- I was trying to compare the Outback V with the Mastercraft X-1 to see if there really is a 10-20k difference between the boats which is why I was looking outside of my area in the first place. I even had one dealer (who is going out of the boat business- "nobody can beat my prices" etc...) hang up on me when I explained that I'm probably not going to drop a big load of cash on a boat that I've never driven. But all is well that ends well! Glad I went with Ron.

jester
07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Welcome to the family. You will enjoy the OBV. Looking forward to pic's on the water.

Sled491
07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Welcome to the family. Get those pics up soon. Too bad the Jamboree's are disapearing this year, would have been a great chance for you get out and meet some fellow owners:)

BlueGiant
07-10-2009, 08:36 AM
We dropped out of the Muncie Waterski Club because we just would not use it enough. They try to keep the numbers down so it is a good place to go and not real busy. Get your name on the waiting list and you might get a chance to join. You can check there web sight for a contact or I can give you a past president's name and number if you need it.

Huntington is usually not very busy on the weekends. The best part is the water is better for skiing and boarding.

skiyaker
07-14-2009, 09:02 PM
here are a few pics as promised

mmandley
07-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Awesome man congrats.

Hey what are the purple poles about centered on your boat? Are those additional rub rails? Can you get me some pics of how they attach to your trailer?

skiyaker
07-14-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm definitely glad I didn't wait until "next season" to buy the boat- I've been waiting until "next season" for about 3 years now. Those purple things were the work of my dealer- they're pool noodles. He cut a vertical slit in them and inserted the cover straps into it so that they don't rub the boat- I guess otherwise it might harm the gel coat. Friction holds them in place.

mmandley
07-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Ahh ok cool that makes since. I was thinking they were additional guide poles for trailering the boat and was getting excited LOL.

jester
07-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Those purple things were the work of my dealer- they're pool noodles. He cut a vertical slit in them and inserted the cover straps into it so that they don't rub the boat- I guess otherwise it might harm the gel coat. Friction holds them in place.

That is a great idea to protect the coat. I might have to add some myself just in a differnt color.

kaneboats
07-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Glad you didn't wait another year. Look's like Toby's glad too!

Sled491
07-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Looks like a few generations enjoying the boat:) Hey now the Chicago Jamboree is up and running again you should try to get to it so that you can meet many of the other owners in the Midwest here.

deerfield
07-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey now the Chicago Jamboree is up and running again you should try to get to it so that you can meet many of the other owners in the Midwest here.

I say, DITTO!

skiyaker
07-19-2009, 09:48 PM
man I'd love to make the Chicago event but I have to work both days next weekend- the only downside to buying a boat is having to pay for it- but hey if you have a dream you can't just sit around and wait for it to happen you have to get to work and get after it. Just returned from another fantastic weekend on the water; it was a little brisk here in Indiana but that just kept some of the traffic off the water so I could tune in the OBV slalom wake.

Sled491
07-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Cool, well hopefully next year!

Toybd93
07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
How well does your Nissan tow? Any issues? I have a Frontier and I'm curious how its going to do with 3300 lbs.

skiyaker
07-30-2009, 03:17 PM
hey Toy my Nissan does great; it has the roughly 260 hp V6 with a towing limit of 6100# and it yanks that moomba around just fine. I did have to put a hitch with about 3/4" rise on it but otherwise no issues.