PDA

View Full Version : Pulling tubes

Jeff W
07-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Say I have 6 people in the boat - can I pull from the rear hook or must I tow from the ski pylon?

I've heard conflicting reports. Growing up, I've always just pulled from the rear ski hook. But I've hard that it is not designed for the drag of a tuber.

Where do you pull from (for those without towers) and why? If you pull from the pylon - how do you keep from rear passengers getting chewed up when the rope swings way out.

Thanks!

kaneboats
07-08-2009, 02:41 PM
I've used the rear hook often for pulling tubers when the boat's full. I thought that was what it was there for.

Jeff W
07-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I've used the rear hook often for pulling tubers when the boat's full. I thought that was what it was there for.

I did too but heard a lot of conflicting information on wakeboarding forums.

jester
07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I would pull from the rear hook. less chance for someone in the boat to get injured.

deerfield
07-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Jeff - The lower pull point of the rear hook lets the tow line drop in the water, spraying water in the face of your tubers. My kids noticed it right away. Therefore, the tow pylon is the better pull point. Unless they are little kids, avoid using the wakeboard tower to pull tubers. - Deerfield

BensonWdby
07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
We usually pull from pylon - and obviously - anytime you have a rope on the pylon, you never have back row passengers. We use open bow for additional riders.

I can't imagine the rear center hook being a problem. But if you are really concerned, use one of the stern eyes. They are designed for lifting the boat (along with the bow eye) - I think...

And don't pull from the tower...

sandm
07-08-2009, 05:05 PM
explain pulling from the tower being an issue?
never done it, always use the ski pylon as we have a vdrive, but what's the issue?

zabooda
07-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I've used the tower for the last seven years and no problem and it keeps the rope out of the water. Some wakeboarding stuff puts more strain on the tower than pulling tubes.

Razzman
07-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Pulling tubes from the rear hook does two things as mentioned, drops the rope and sprays the riders and puts undue load on that hook/handle assembly. I've actually seen a few tweak and distort. The rear hook is a ski leftover, some prefer it. IF you must pull that low then get a tow harness, it spreads the load.

Pulling from the tower voids your warrenty flat out, it puts undue side loads on the tower and causes excess flexing as well as gel cracks and in a few cases cracked towers. My dealer stated flat out they can tell when it's been done and won't warrenty. My brother-in-law used to do it until he cracked a weld. Tubes cause more drag than a boarder does.

jester
07-08-2009, 05:53 PM
A tube causes alot of drag when pulling. If you pull from the tower this drag could cause a lot of stress on the tower. If you have ever pulled tubers and one falls off then on the return to pick them up the tube goes under water and the boat starts to drag think about the strain it is causing on the boat. That strain would be moved to the tower if you pulled from the tower.

On the other note a person can get a lot of air if you connect them to the tower. I would never do this on my boat but i have some friends that do it on theirs.

Jeff W
07-08-2009, 06:13 PM
So no one has really answered my question then..

What if you have say 6 people in the boat with you and a tuber? Do you put 4 up in the bow, one in the passenger seat and tow with the sky pylon?

I forsee a lot of front end submarining in my Outback with that.

Seems like a lose/lose. If I tow from the rear hook - it's stress on the boat and the tuber gets sprayed. If I tow from the ski pylon - I can only have 3 passengers with me.

scoot_gt
07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Seems like a lose/lose. If I tow from the rear hook - it's stress on the boat and the tuber gets sprayed. If I tow from the ski pylon - I can only have 3 passengers with me.

The solution is obvious - don't tube ;)

Jeff W
07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
The solution is obvious - don't tube ;)

So true. I hate tubing, other tubers on the lake, etc..

But we have a TON of nephews and nieces and they all love it. I have to be the cool uncle/cousin and let them get out.

SEARK
07-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Do like me. I'm the mean guy that says no tube until you try to do something else first (wake, surf, ski). If you let them on the tube right away then most of the kids will not try anything else (my experience anyway).

As for pulling the tube; I always pull from the rear eye if there are people on the back seat. I don't care if the water sprays the people on the tube. That's what they get for getting on the tube.

csmsk
07-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Better solution.... Buy a V-drive!

The Ski Pylon works great for my (and any other) kids without affecting anyone in the boat. Even when I'm ballsy enough to venture into our Sumo Tube!!! We've never even tried the rear "handle", though I will admit to going <15mph with youngsters from the tower. Helps keep the nose up and not watter logging the little ones. I know for a fact that my 210lb. arse pulls a lot harder than that while boarding!!!

kaneboats
07-08-2009, 10:58 PM
You bums took my answers: Don't tube-- LOL -- and Get a V drive with the pylon at the back. I agree. I hate tubing but have given in to the demand form others so I use the rear hook and spray the riders. If they get tired of it I'll toss 'em some skis or a board.

mustangairchair
07-08-2009, 11:50 PM
the hook on the back are for pulling tubes and sort.the lift points in your manuals use the two hooks on the back and the front hook to lift a three thousand pound boat if you can bend them with a tube there is somthing wrong. you are not to use the tower for tubes. i guy i know did and riped the tower off his boat. you want stress cracks that is a good way.

Ian Brantford
07-10-2009, 09:51 AM
The lift points are designed to handle a large shearing force, not a high tension straight out the back. However, they are very strong in general, and in the extremely unlikely event of tearing one out, it is a less critical area and easier to repair than damaging tower mount points. Also, a towing harness is a simple solution to spread the load.

The water in the face can be greatly reduced by using a thin wakeboarding rope. Spectra is very strong and usually just 1/8" thick. You can get a replacement rope with no handle.

Jeff W
07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Now when you guys are talking hooks in the back - are you talking the chrome grab bar area on the older Outback/Mob or are you talking the (2) eyes used for trailer straps and mooring?

I was referring to the chrome bar and "tow hook" connected to that.

KurtL
07-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Could someone explain what this towing harness is (picture)?

Thanks

BensonWdby
07-13-2009, 02:08 AM
A towing harness is a throwback to the outboard days. You can probbly get one at K-mart or Wal-Mart. Normally a cable or strap that clips to the two stern eyes with an attachment point in the middle that allows the rope to lay in the water directly behind the boat, away from the outboard. some of the harnesses also have pulleys that ride the cable. They are useful for outboards and if you wanted to you could probably use one on your Moomba simply to give a center pull (if you do not want to use the stern hook). But I would just use the stern hook...

mcdye
07-13-2009, 08:07 AM
google is your friend..

http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1249138p275w.jpg