PDA

View Full Version : sputtering and black smoke

Swamp Star
07-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I got a 93 outback with a 302 in it that is sputterin and poppin back threw the carb and black smoking bad at idle. Im thinkin a new carb but Im not sure yall got any ideas what else to look at? Any info will be apperciated.

graybmg
07-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey Swamp Star,

almost sounds exactly what I just went through. I ended up buying the Holley 4150 marine carb for $450. Now it runs great, starts great and no black smoke. I was having smoke at idle, rough idle after warming up. I'm not a mechanic so I bought the Clymer service manual. Lots of good info. in there.

Apparently it is very easy to install a new carb if you know a little. A lot of people are going to tell you to rebuild it first, which is cheaper, but my guess is that since it's a '93 you probably will save money buy going ahead and getting a new one.

Good luck.

Swamp Star
07-13-2009, 11:00 AM
thanks gray

thats what i was thinkin where did you get you carb from?

graybmg
07-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Go to summitracing.com you can also try jegs.com and there are probably a few others but the people at summit are very knowledgeable. You'll need to identify the carb you have now. You can call Indmar and they should be able to help (indmar.com). A marine carb is not exactly the same as a street carb so you'll want to make sure you get the right one. And, unfortunately, the marine one costs a little more but my mechanic put it on in an hour and I was good to go.