PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Filling Ballast III bags

bjames
07-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Perhaps a simple clarification...

I have a 2009 LSV that came with the Ballast III system. The manual states that the ballast pumps are supposed to shut off after so many minutes of fill operation. The maual also warns to not overfill the bags, however my understanding is thats what the vent is for - to prevent over filling. I am a little confused, how do you all fill your bags? Do you fill until you have water comming out of the vent holes? or do you constatnly monitor each bag and manually shut the pumps off when they appear full?

Also how full should the bags be? Should they be quite firm to the touch with no rinkles? Does the bag expand when filling?

I am asking the question becuase lately filling/emptying the bags have ended up being a 3 person job, 1 person at each bag closely watching, feeling and reporting its status. I dont think it should be that dificult:cry:

04OUTBACK
07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't have '09, but I fill rear til they overflow..

mofierka
07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Gotta love the ballast on these boats!!!!!!!!1
I just check for the over flow and once water begins to creep out I shut off the flow. This will fill the bag completely and it will be very firm to the touch. Then I empty out the bag for a couple seconds to bring down the pressure. Except for the ski locker, I monitor that one, because when mine is full it pushes up the locker cover.
Good luck!

brain_rinse
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Gotta love the ballast on these boats!!!!!!!!1
I just check for the over flow and once water begins to creep out I shut off the flow. This will fill the bag completely and it will be very firm to the touch. Then I empty out the bag for a couple seconds to bring down the pressure. Except for the ski locker, I monitor that one, because when mine is full it pushes up the locker cover.
Good luck!
Yep. I fill until I see the ski locker cover lifting, then shut off the rears and drain the front until the locker cover goes back down.

jbheuerman
07-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm the same....just hit the fill switch and wait till water starts coming out the overflow. That's what its there for as far as I'm concerned. Just make sure there's nothing in the lockers while your filling...never seen one blow up or pop...but don't think I would want to either!! :p

bjames
07-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys... So from the sounds of it, you guys dont leave the rear ballast compatments open during the fill.?. I am trying to simplify the process as much as possible so it doesnt appear to be a whole production when you have guest on the boat.:(

Sled491
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
What's the worst that can happen?