PDA

View Full Version : clear transom guard?

alex56
07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
i think there was a threat already like this,

does anyone know of were or any company who makes like clear plastic stuff so the back of the boat doesnt get dinged wile surfing

brain_rinse
07-07-2009, 12:06 PM
3M makes the clear vinyl film you're thinking of. It's a popular addition to the front bumper of cars to prevent rock chips, usually called "clear bra." I've seen it available at some of the nicer window tinting and auto detailing shops. This may help too: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/

mmandley
07-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I think this is what your looking for. Its much thicker then the stuff used on your car and actually a lot cheaper. I'm going to get this soon too.

https://www.savvyboater.com/p-441-keelshield-clear-transomshield.aspx

brain_rinse
07-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I think this is what your looking for. Its much thicker then the stuff used on your car and actually a lot cheaper. I'm going to get this soon too.

https://www.savvyboater.com/p-441-keelshield-clear-transomshield.aspx

Yeah, that is cheap. 3 feet is the smallest height... wow. If you're only covering the part of the transom thats susceptible to board hits you could split that piece at least 4 ways!

Razzman
07-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Check this out ... http://www.keelshield.com/transomshield.html

alex56
07-07-2009, 02:01 PM
i think razzman found the best!

yearround
07-07-2009, 03:04 PM
i think razzman found the best!

it the same stuff, razz is direct, mandley is not, but cheaper?

brain_rinse
07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
mmandley's link says 3, 4, or 5 FEET, razz's says inches. Assuming it's actually inches...

alex56
07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
yeah its in inches, razz sent the link from the direct website, savy boaters must have screwed up but i got the 4" by 105" to put on the bottom half and the top half should work great

chadjitsu1
01-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Bringing this one back from the dead. Anyone have luck with this stuff? I am getting ready to order some.

Boonejeepin
01-19-2013, 09:20 PM
I used some 3m rubberized grip tape.

About $8 from the marine supply store.

mmandley
01-19-2013, 10:05 PM
I used some 3m rubberized grip tape.

About $8 from the marine supply store.

Going to have to have a look at that Russ. I know i meant to put something on Fierah and never did. I played hell trying to get those scratches buffed out. I would cringe each time i herd a board smack the boat when someone was gearing up.

Boonejeepin
01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
For the local guys - I found it in a bulk roll at Fisherman's.

It is recommended to round the ends vs. straight cuts.

mmandley
01-19-2013, 10:44 PM
For the local guys - I found it in a bulk roll at Fisherman's.

It is recommended to round the ends vs. straight cuts.

Dam i better get Claudia to cut it for me. I cant cut anything straight much less rounded.

chadjitsu1
01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Well I went ahead and ordered the clear stuff that was originally posted on this site. I have a blue boat so I was a little worried about how it would look on there. The company said that this stuff has marine grade glue and is guaranteed not to yellow so I figured I would take a stab at it. It was 50 bucks but well worth the price if it keeps the back of my boat from looking like a tee box.

I try to stay cool when friends of mine is repeatedly banging the back of the boat when their trying to cram their foot in the bindings, but it is hard sometimes. Hopefully now I will be able to just sit back and relax as they beat the hell out of my boat. I originally started looking for a piece of clear rubber/plastic like you put on a motorcycle gas tank to keep you belt from scratching up the tank, hopefully I bought what wanted.

snyderaaron
01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Well I went ahead and ordered the clear stuff that was originally posted on this site. I have a blue boat so I was a little worried about how it would look on there. The company said that this stuff has marine grade glue and is guaranteed not to yellow so I figured I would take a stab at it. It was 50 bucks but well worth the price if it keeps the back of my boat from looking like a tee box.

I try to stay cool when friends of mine is repeatedly banging the back of the boat when their trying to cram their foot in the bindings, but it is hard sometimes. Hopefully now I will be able to just sit back and relax as they beat the hell out of my boat. I originally started looking for a piece of clear rubber/plastic like you put on a motorcycle gas tank to keep you belt from scratching up the tank, hopefully I bought what wanted.

Let us know how it works. I have vantage protection film, but there are a few areas that it doesn't cover. Still works great.