PDA

View Full Version : Adding Weight

2000OUTBACK
07-04-2009, 02:09 AM
I want to add some weight/ballast to my 2000 Outback LS to improve the wake. I have a problem already that without any extra weight on the boat when you turn into a wake(going slow) to pick up a rider the nose of the boat goes underwater if you do not hit it right. So what is everybody doing to add weight and not sink the boat.

Thanks

mmandley
07-04-2009, 03:23 AM
All the Moomba's seem to have a low nose. We take rollers over the nose all the time unless we power threw them.

Generally what we do is after the person falls we slow down and start a turn so we are headed to the person and the rollers, then go slow enough that the roller reach us before we reach the rider, just as the rollers come to the boat hit the throttle to hop the nose over the first big one and get off the the throttle as you cross the second, this will stop the nose dives, and you will still be going slow coming to your rider.

2000OUTBACK
07-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Yea I do not have a problem not flooding the boat,,,,,, it is my wife with the flooding problem.... She took on a lot a couple weekends ago and my ipod was floating in a few inches of water. So with adding more weight to the boat that is why I was wondering how everyone got around this problem.

mofierka
07-05-2009, 11:33 AM
What I have to do is when a rider falls I back off the throttle, basically bringing the boat to an idle, while making sure not to bring water up over the back of the boat. I have to wait a couple seconds until the wake gets far enough away from the boat so I can make a slow u turn without cutting through my wake. It may take a bit longer to get back to the rider but well worth it. It also helps everyone else out by not sending rollers down the lake.

Hillbilly
07-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Try this....When your rider falls cut off the throttle, Then just as the rush of water gets to the back of the boat turn the boat right (bump the throttle) the wake should push the boat around, Then just idle back and get your rider.

I hope I didn't confuse anybody but it works great once you learn how to do it right and you never go through your roller's and it doesn't chop up the water.

I know when my boat is slammed I have to time the turn around a little different due to the low nose but that's with 1k plus in the bow.

Now if I can just get everyone else that shares the water with me to do it life would be grand.....LOL

csmsk
07-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I second Hillbilly's style!!!

mmandley
07-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm going to try your style too Hillbilly, and if i can get it down ill teach my other 2 drivers. I'm all about to rollers and it saves the person in the water from bobbing threw those same rollers.

Limishowman3
07-05-2009, 03:08 PM
If you want to add weight, you should add weight to the back of the boat first. This will help alot with roller problems too as it keeps the nose from diving as much. I don't have problems with my rollers but with other boats passing by. I have 750# in the back 400# in the front and plus the driver. Don't have any problems with rollers and unless the bow babes are on the boat. Then i have to get my fat sac friends to ride and sit in the back also. Extra weight will make the boat sit lower, but honestly not by the much. It depends more on how the weight is distributed throughout the boat.

dtlaine
07-05-2009, 11:42 PM
What I have to do is when a rider falls I back off the throttle, basically bringing the boat to an idle, while making sure not to bring water up over the back of the boat. I have to wait a couple seconds until the wake gets far enough away from the boat so I can make a slow u turn without cutting through my wake. It may take a bit longer to get back to the rider but well worth it. It also helps everyone else out by not sending rollers down the lake.

I'm with you on that. I find that taking the turn-around slowly makes it much easier, drier, and flatter on the lake.

As far as weighting a 2000 OBLS (I used to have one), I would put a 750lb sac in the rear locker and three or four people in the bow. It's not a great wake, but it's not too bad. You definitely don't want weight only in the rear. Fly High also makes a sac that will go under the bow cushions. If you put 400 in the front and 700 in the back, you'll have a pretty decent wake.

NCSUmoomba
07-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Just make sure your bilge pump works! We put 900# in the bow and 600# in the stern of my 2001 Outback to make a nice wake. We turn slow and careful, but still get water over the bow. I recommend a dry bag for valuables and keeping dry stuff off the floor.

kaneboats
07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
We use ziplock bags for all the cellphones, camera, etc. and keep them up on the dash. The 2000 OB or OB LS will take rollers over the bow even with no weight up there because of the sleek pointy design of the hull. I use Hillbilly's method and didn't even realize it. I back off immediately when my rider is down and start my turn seconds afterward. I never thought about it but that swell from the rear does actually help turn the boat back around. I HATE messing up good water unnecessarily so I abhor power turns.