PDA

View Full Version : Factory Tower

moomba wannabe
07-04-2009, 01:09 AM
I am considering an 05 Moomba Outback. It is a bank repo missing the stereo and tower and I have yet to look at it and see what kind of shape its in or how good a deal I can get on it.

My question is does anybody know what brand the factory tower was and/or where I should start looking for a replacement should I decide to take the chance and buy the boat. I am looking to get the same set-up so I can use the original holes.

Also I am told the stitching in the upholstery is seperating; not a completely uncommon problem with Moombas I see and I have seen one myself with the same problem. I plan to check with an upholstery shop and inquire how much the repair would be but wondering if anybody has dealt with this out of warranty and what it cost.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

deerfield
07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
moomba wannabe - Unless you hear first from an '05 owner on the forum, perhaps a call to Skiers Choice corporate office in Tennessee will get you an answer to your questions about the make of tower. Regarding the stitching issue, I think you are on the right track with a call to a local upholstery shop. In what part of the country do you live? - Deerfield

NCSUmoomba
07-06-2009, 08:47 AM
The tower brand should be an XTP. I think they supply all the Moomba towers, however, I am not sure you can buy one from them, unless you order through the dealer. I have had the same stitching problem on my 2001 and I have handled it two different ways. The first time, I took the pad off the boat, pulled out all the staples, and took the cover to an upholstery shop to have them restitched. The problem was that the vinyl was cut so short, that he had a hard time sewing them back. As a reualt, some of those have started to pull out again. This last time, I just bought some gray vinyl and recovered the pad myself (it just staples on) and it looks great, its just one solid color instead of the factory 3 color. However, this is just a temporary fix, because in a couple of years, I plan on redoing all the vinyl with new and putting in new carpet as well.

Jeff W
07-06-2009, 09:49 AM
XTP (Monster Tower) made the OEM tower but if my research is correct - they no longer make the towrs. I called my LOCAL Moomba Dealer and they recommended/priced a New Dimension tower which is an OEM replica. Google "New Dimension Tower" to find the site. I think they are about $1900.

moomba wannabe
07-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the tips! I am located in Northern California.

I checked on the New Dimension towers and they advertise being a OEM replacement and do run about $1900. So at least I know I can get a replacement and what it'll cost.

Looks like I can plan on having the upholstery completely re-done to correctly fix the stitching issue. I havent checked with a shop yet and I have no idea what new upholstery costs, probably gotta be almost $2000?

I am going to be able to look at this boat tomorrow and this gives me a real good idea of what I'll need to put into it just to make it whole again; between the tower ($2000), 6 speaker stereo($1000), and upholstery(1500-2000) I figure I'm looking at nearly $5000.

Thanks again and I'll report what I learn tomorrow.

moombadaze
07-07-2009, 08:40 AM
good luck, and if its not the "one" there are more out there-keep lookin

moomba wannabe
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, it may be the one. Looked at it today and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, in better shape than I expected for a stripped repo.

Its a pretty yellow but all the the decals have been removed; I like it better with them, maybe Moomba would send me a set if I promised to display them?

There is a deep chip in the hull above water line on the upper edge, like somebody dropped a ski on it. Otherwise the hull is practically perfect; doesnt look like it was ever beached and no scratches.

I didnt know better and was expecting big holes in the side from the missing tower. There are three sets of 4 holes on each side but they're screw size holes. I could probably fill them and touch up the finish if I decided to go with another tower.

The upholstery is not as bad as I thought; the rear storage "gull wing" doors are in terrible shape as far as the stiching pulling away, the rest of the boat is fine for now. I would expect it to happen to all at some point. The carpet needs a shampoo but looks to be in good shape.

It has less than 150 hours (116 maybe if I remember correct) the engine is clean, the oil is dirty but good color and not white, trans fluid smells fine, its carb'd not EFI. There is oil residue around the plug hole so I can assume its been changed once anyway.

It has a 4 blade brass prop which appears to have been grounded as one of the blades has been repaired at the end. I dont know how big a deal this as far as potentially damaging something upstream (gears, trans, engine, etc) as brass is pretty soft. Anybody?

Its got a tandem trailer which looks probably like you'd expect an 05 trailer to look. By the way, has anybody actually weighed an 05 outback and trailer together?

Theyre asking $12,900 but the salesman threw out 11,500 pretty quick. They include a water test and offer a mechanical "survey" for $125. It low books as is at 13, and with a tower and stereo lows at 14,700 or so. I am thinking somewhere in the 10's considering what it needs. Maybe I'm dreaming.

I took lots of photos. As risky as a repo could be, I am considering it. Decisions.

jasonba1
07-07-2009, 10:23 PM
If you are wanting interior work and dont mind coming to east tn jim jackson at viper customs gives all forum members a deal and does unbelieveable work id say he get beat the 2 k.

jasonba1
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Also viper customs makes custom towers and has several speaker options he is the cheapest and best I have seen. He use to work for skiers Choice and is now in the old skiers choice building and does all custom and resto work. Give him a call and make sure you say you saw it on the forum to get the best deal. His number is 865-388-4096

mmandley
07-07-2009, 10:29 PM
It sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm a big believer in gut feelings, if it feels like a boat you could love then it just might be the boat for you. I think Moombas pick there owners not the other way around. I was on the fence as to which one i wanted until they uncovered mine and i sat in it. Then i knew it was an LSV for me, then the water test made the deal solid.

If they will let you have a Marine shop look it over id do that.

If at nothing else pay the 125 and run that girl in the water, it will answer a few questions about the prop, power, how it feels in the water, or it will make you second guess it and walk away.

moomba wannabe
07-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Well this apparently is not the one. Learned the bank wants $12,500. I dont think I would pay that if it wasnt a repo. Not that its in bad shape, its not, but it needs things and in my experience they usually cost more and are more work than you think. Oh well.

I do have my eye on another, an 01 Outback LS. Appears to be a nice clean looking boat but havent met it in person yet. Priced a little towards the high end but I think I will arrange to look. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Jeff W
07-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Well this apparently is not the one. Learned the bank wants $12,500. I dont think I would pay that if it wasnt a repo. Not that its in bad shape, its not, but it needs things and in my experience they usually cost more and are more work than you think. Oh well.

I do have my eye on another, an 01 Outback LS. Appears to be a nice clean looking boat but havent met it in person yet. Priced a little towards the high end but I think I will arrange to look. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

I just picked up an 02' Outback LS that was MINT with all of the misc. boating stuff (jackets, anchors, skis) and 200 hours for $16k. Couldn't be happier.. Well.. I would love a v-drive but that's not in the budget just yet..

Good luck. Good boats are out there!

Sled491
07-09-2009, 08:38 PM
In this economy used boats and used boat deals are like buses, next one will be along shortly:) Keep looking. Here in WI I saw an 05 Outback the other day for like 10K. Deals are everywhere. Got me looking at a 240 bridgeport on a tunnel hull for a play toy at the lake when I'm board and my wife won't drive for me ha ha.

moomba wannabe
07-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Looks like I'm a Moomba Gonnabe after all! I just heard the bank accepted my offer of 11K so looks like I will be picking her up later this week!

So, I am interested in what I need to do to get a stereo back into it. The boat came with a six speaker (which is gone now) system but all the head units I see are 4 channel. Did the boat come with a factory amp or can anyone enlighten me on how I should start to replace the missing 6 speaker system.

I checked with XTP and New Dimension and both are similarly priced and appear to be an OEM replacements on the tower. Probably going to take my time with that.

Apparently the boat has been mechanically surveyed (back in Nov 08) and the compression was consistent-170 to 175-everything appeared to check OK except it apparenty ran hot and needed an impeller. Also as I mentioned before the tip of one of the blades on the prop has been repaired. How concerned should I be with any of this? I know the impeller is an easy fix.

I am going to take it for a water test before I sign, and I've heard I should look at the seal where the shaft goes through the hull and into the water for leakage. Any other advice or things to look for during the water test?

Again, all help is appreciated, thank you.