PDA

View Full Version : tower lights and anchor question

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-03-2009, 12:16 PM
anyone have tower lights either included on the speaker bar or added on separate and are the worth getting cause they help or just make the tower look more cluddered?

what kinda anchor is everyone using and how many lbs?

aintskeered
07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I have 3 forward and 3 aft and added them to a bar on top of the tower... I end up after dark on the return trip alot. Pretty bright... I will try and get some pix this weekend I need to put up some other mod pix also.

Anchor I think mine is 12 lbs it has 4 fold out and lock in place legs? It seems a little over kill to me but it dont move all day . I hook a anchor budy and set it when I first get to my spot and leave it there all day. It dont move.

mmandley
07-04-2009, 03:19 AM
I have been wondering myself exactly what the tower lights are for. i mean in the day time they are pretty useless right? At night i thought you cant ahve lights on unless its the nav lights?

As far as anchor, i have a 15lbs mushroom style anchor, its 4 molded blades instead of the normally mushroom, they call it a lunch anchor because its what you use for short periods a few hours, not good to hold the boat all night in current.

jjolson
07-04-2009, 09:04 AM
No tower lights here.

Anchor is i use is a fluke or danforth style anchor similar to these here. Holds well. Does not take up as much space in the boat as it lays flat. I slide it under the drivers seat. The front of the boat is open for ballast :D

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=72107&pdesc=Greenfield_Coated_American_Yachting_Fluke_St yle_Anchor_8_lb_Anchor_for_boats_up_24&str=anchor&merchID=1008&r=view

tazz3069
07-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I have Tower lights on my boat as well. I have two facing forward and three facing back. I use them when we are setting up camp at night. If you ever been to Vegas and seen the Luxor Light, that's how bright it is. As for the anchor, I use a large box anchor. It has been the best anchor that I ever use. It gets pretty windy here in Vegas and when the boat is set, it does not move until I pull it up. I will post pictures of my tower when I get back into town.

Tazz

MEDIC151
07-04-2009, 10:59 AM
No lights for me with the exception of the docking lights.

As far as an anchor, I have two. One is a larger fluke style for the front and a smaller fluke for the rear. I think that I have to go with a heavier one for the front since it likes to skip on the bottom when trying to set it. It may be due to the clay bottom we have, but bigger is always better.

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-05-2009, 10:52 AM
are you guys using a rope or a chain on the anchor. had someone tell me the weight of chain lets the slack fall to the bottom and set the anchor better whats your opinion on that?

mmandley
07-05-2009, 12:40 PM
I just use a Home Depot Nylon tread rope, 100 ft sections, 10 bucks each, it floats, doesn't rot and drys fast, 3/8 is the thickness. I think it was Razz or Tazz who turned me on to this.

I dont ever leave my boat unattended, we just drop anchor for swimming and such.

mofierka
07-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I have the roswell 6 light bar. Doesn't get much use. Helpful when loading the boat and comes in handy when wakesurfing. Lights are super bright.
Not really a necessity.

jjolson
07-05-2009, 06:44 PM
1/2 inch anchor line

Mikey
07-05-2009, 11:00 PM
I have a friend who lives /fishes on the west coast who told me about adding about 8ft of chain to help set and keep anchor in proper position and it made all the difference for me.

GeauxTigers
07-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Lights? I thought we could not run at night with anything but navigational lights. Rangers out here are on you like white on rice if you do something wrong.... why chance it?

Anchor: I use a box anchor. Rope attached straight to the handle. It's so easy to set that dropping anchor has become the kids' job when we get to an area where we want to stop for lunch or whatever. I usually have to drag it back out because it digs itself into the mud really well and it gets too heavy for them to lift it out.