PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wheels Very Hot

Boardin'Ohio
07-02-2009, 11:11 PM
I've been reading the board for a while now, but this is my first post - the advice here is great. I have a 2007 LSV w/single axle trailer - purchased used from dealer last summer. No problems last summer, but have only been out once this year. After a 20 mile drive back from the local lake on the year's first trip, I noticed a lot of heat and brake dust on the rims. Heat can be felt about 2 feet away and burning rubber smell. The rims were hot enough that you wouldn't want to put your hand on there for more than a couple of seconds. No smoke from axle when driving or noticeable drag when coasting in the tow vehicle. Oil is visible when the cap is removed from the tongue.

At winterization last year, although no problems at the time, dealer performed "single axle trailer service" (~$150) and "prem gear lube" (~$15). Repeated calls to dealer over the past 1.5 weeks have not been returned (not a big surprise) and a trip down is 2+ hrs round trip. I have a 300 mile trip coming up next weekend and do not want to do any damage. Has anybody experienced this before? I definitely don't recall having this much heat during my use last year. I appreciate any advice!

maxpower220
07-03-2009, 09:50 AM
I would continue to get the dealer on the phone and discuss it with him.

Tires will heat up as you drive down the road. Check you tire pressures and ensure they are at the recommended level. Low tire pressures will increase the amount of heat that you feel and that they generate going down the road. For you long trip, I would fill the tires close to the max level.

mmandley
07-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I've been reading the board for a while now, but this is my first post - the advice here is great. I have a 2007 LSV w/single axle trailer - purchased used from dealer last summer. No problems last summer, but have only been out once this year. After a 20 mile drive back from the local lake on the year's first trip, I noticed a lot of heat and brake dust on the rims. Heat can be felt about 2 feet away and burning rubber smell. The rims were hot enough that you wouldn't want to put your hand on there for more than a couple of seconds. No smoke from axle when driving or noticeable drag when coasting in the tow vehicle. Oil is visible when the cap is removed from the tongue.

At winterization last year, although no problems at the time, dealer performed "single axle trailer service" (~$150) and "prem gear lube" (~$15). Repeated calls to dealer over the past 1.5 weeks have not been returned (not a big surprise) and a trip down is 2+ hrs round trip. I have a 300 mile trip coming up next weekend and do not want to do any damage. Has anybody experienced this before? I definitely don't recall having this much heat during my use last year. I appreciate any advice!

Sounds like to me your breaks are seized up and dragging causing the heat your feeling and the dust your seeing. I would first check the fluid level in the trailer tongue. Then have your other half or a friend walk next to the trailer while you drive slowly, make sure the tongue brake is working back and forth smoothly.

If it all seems to be working ok then i would jack that trailer up and pull the wheels off, you should be able to spin the axles by hand and only feel very little brake drag as they are disks and will drag very slightly. If its tight thats the problem, the calipers arnt loosening. The pistons might have seized over the winter, or something. You should be able to call a local brake shop and tell them you got a boat trailer and they might help ya out.

If you are at a wits end i can look at my trailer and talk ya threw this over the phone, you only need a few basic tools to pull the wheels off, and remove a caliper and use a caliper press tool to force the pistons back, sometimes this is all you have to do to fix it. On my 79 Trans Am the front breaks used to lock up like that after it was parked for long periods until i bought new calipers.

Now if the brakes don't seem to be the problem then it could be the bearings they serviced, i wouldn't expect this as the bearing being that hot with no lube would melt them and then the axle would tend to come right off the trailer.

Canuckle Head
07-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I have a 300+ mile trip coming up this weekend and am wondering if there is any maintenance that I should be doing before heading out? I have a 2007 Outback V on a single axle trailer. Everything appears to fine and I have been traveling all over the place. Just trying to avoid any possible hiccups along the way.

Thanks in advance.

Boardin'Ohio
07-03-2009, 11:03 PM
All,

Thanks for the great advice!...looks like I have a project over the weekend. I'll work through the suggestions and keep you posted on what I find.

kaneboats
07-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Was wondering what happened with this one?

Boardin'Ohio
07-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Here's an update...I think I've got the problem solved. After contacting Boatmate, the rep, who was a huge help, suggested the breakaway cable might have been tripped and the actuator might need to be reset. We used the trailer manual that boatmate sent via email and tried to reset the system, but the pushrod release bracket didn't do seem to do anything to fix the problem.

My neighbor and I ended up taking the entire assembly apart last night and it appears that the metal jacket over the pushrod assembly had seized and would not allow the spring to recoil fully - keeping a little pressure on the brake fluid line - and the brakes lightly applied at all times (explains the heat and brake dust on the rims). Ended up unseizing the metal jacket and adding grease on the pushrod and rollers to allow free motion back and forth. A quick 20 mile hop on the highway showed no heat at all - and I now can sleep better with the 300 mile haul this weekend. It would have been a miserable trip had the bearings seized up or a blowout due to excessive heat. All I need to do now is put a new breakaway clip on the breakaway line (I'm guessing the dealer would have that).

Definitely could not have done it without my neighbor and the boatmate rep who sent the e-version of the trailer manual (which I did not have). If anybody needs a copy I can try and figure a way to post here.

Thanks to everybody for the help and suggestions!