PDA

View Full Version : Throttle won't hold position. How do I increase friction?

graybmg
07-01-2009, 08:38 PM
My throttle won't stay where you leave it. It gradually slides back down and looses speed. There must be some way to increase the friction in there so it stays where you put it, right?

P.S. I got my new Holley 4150 marine carb installed and I couldn't be happier. Starts on the first try! No black smoke! No stalling! Smooooooth!

Thanks guys,
Brian

kaneboats
07-02-2009, 01:01 AM
I swear there is an adjustment on the back side. I'll have to look. Glad to hear about the carb fix. Nice when you lay out the ca$h but it all works out so you get over it easy.

ftd
07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
My throttle won't stay where you leave it. It gradually slides back down and looses speed. There must be some way to increase the friction in there so it stays where you put it, right?

P.S. I got my new Holley 4150 marine carb installed and I couldn't be happier. Starts on the first try! No black smoke! No stalling! Smooooooth!

Thanks guys,
Brian

My boat did this when brand new. Dealer put a small hose clamp on cable (near the carb.) and applied just a touch of clamping pressure. Throttle then stayed put and has worked well for obver 10 years now.

Frank

graybmg
07-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Do you mean putting a hose clamp around the black cable wrap/housing and just tightening? Not clamping the cable to something else and then tightening?

ftd
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Do you mean putting a hose clamp around the black cable wrap/housing and just tightening? yep just barely tighten down on the cable housing to achieve the throttle action you desire. Worked like a charm. (Ockham's Razor in action)

Frank

graybmg
07-20-2009, 08:35 PM
It does work like a charm. Thanks! I was afraid the throttle wouldn't move back and forth safely. Took a couple of quarter turns at the end to get it just right. (didn't want to over tighten)

Who needs Perfect Pass??? Well, ok, would be nice to have...