PDA

View Full Version : Is my cover trailerable?

Jeff W
07-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Picked up an 02' Outback LS. It has the OEM cover that was included. It is the grey canvas with Moomba and the kangaroo on the windshield area. It has the drawstring ties in the back and has the black straps with clips.

Is this trailerable? I rarely trailer but was wondering if this would be OK if it were raining? Obviously, I'd leave the anti-pooling sticks down but would I would be OK otherwise?

Thanks!

moombadaze
07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Nope, the factory covers are for mooring only.

outbackv
05-12-2010, 02:16 AM
i had the same question when i first got my moomba! i trailer alot 40 miles to my private lake one way and hate trailering without a cover since dirt and grime seams to just find its way between the seats and carpet so im thinking of getting a snap on made also i dont believe you mooring cover or oem cover is even water proof at least my isnt......

jbheuerman
05-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I love my snap cover. It serves many purposes...as I have to drive 30-40 miles to the nearest lake, I can just throw my gear inside the boat and not have to worry about it blowing out or getting wet in a freak thunderstorm. It helps keep the dirt and grime out as outbackv mentioned too! I think it just overall looks better pulling down the road, and just a lot less to worry about when you have to drive that far to the nearest lake.

kaneboats
05-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Is that a full snap cover?

zabooda
05-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I have both a custom full cover and a custom snap on cover and I use the full cover for gravel roads with dust and I use the snap on cover when traveling through rain. I normally travel with no cover as it will reduce the life of the cover and there could be wear marks both on the cover and the boat.

viking
05-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I would say it depends on how far/fast you are going to be going on trailer. I probably wouldn't trust it going down the freeway more than a mile or 2 since it will probably flap like you can't beleive unless the support poles are in.

I had a custom snap cover built and stretched tight for trailering. I use it everywhere I go as indicated below - dirt, grime, and pebbles find there way into the boat without it.

Also rain storms usually always seem to pop up when I'm in tow and keeps the inside from getting swamped. Still gets wet but not terrible!

Razzman
05-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I trailer no cover and it still looks new after two years and I trailer up to three hours one way at times. If i was to get a cover for that it would be a full trailerable cover only, i will not and flat refuse to put a snap down cover on mine. Not saying it will but everyone i've known with a snap down has eventually had issues so i'll just avoid them all together. :)

yearround
05-13-2010, 12:01 PM
trailer all the time with my snap on covers, bow and cockpit, always leave the poles in too. travel 500 miles one way to lake powell, numerous other trips as well. the cover says not for travel i think, but i guess it is a calculated risk that i have taken.

i see lots of covers that people trailer with. some are very good, some much less. i think the new replacement covers that are trailerable are around $500-$800? i would use what you have, if it does not damage to the boat.

kaneboats
05-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Are you kidding me? I have the two snap covers too. I'm afraid to use mine while trailering b/c of the warnings. How fast do you drive? I like to run about 75.

yearround
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Are you kidding me? I have the two snap covers too. I'm afraid to use mine while trailering b/c of the warnings. How fast do you drive? I like to run about 75.

I'm going to guess you are talking to me. Well going up the steep hills we slow down to 45 or however fast I can go (12000' elevation passes). But our average moving speed is usually low 70's. Open road and flat will go 80-85.

When dealer brought a boat to my house to test fit the garage he tow 60 m each way with brand new boat. (well he is not in business now but for other reasons I presume)

Canuckle Head
05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
I trailer with my boat mooring cover without the poles but only on long distance trips. One word of warning is that if you plan on doing this, you should buy yourself some foam pipe insulation and run your straps with clips through them so that they aren't rubbing the side of your boat.

I was getting some nasty black marks on my hull from them and couldn't figure out why untill someone here on this forum told me that it was because the wind was causing the straps to vibrate at high speed and thus mark the hull.

The pipe insulation solved that issue quite nicely.

kennedy
05-14-2010, 09:07 AM
I travel down the road all the time with my factory cover. I make sure I have the poles installed and the cover as TIGHT as I can get it. I then put foam pipe insulation around the straps that may even come close to touching the boat.

I pull my boat 60-80 miles at 70-75mph speeds and have not had any troubles.

kaneboats
05-14-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm going to guess you are talking to me. Well going up the steep hills we slow down to 45 or however fast I can go (12000' elevation passes). But our average moving speed is usually low 70's. Open road and flat will go 80-85.

When dealer brought a boat to my house to test fit the garage he tow 60 m each way with brand new boat. (well he is not in business now but for other reasons I presume)

Sorry, yes I was talking to you. If I post directly below the post to which I am responding I don't use the "quote" feature. (If it's someone farther above it makes more sense to use it.)

To me it seems like you should be able to trailer with the snap covers on as the truck blocks most of the wind that would get under the nose of the bow cover. I am sure the warnings are just so they don't have to warranty snap issues as occasionally there will be a snap failure. I think I'll give it a try. Do you use the poles when you trailer? Anything else special to do? Thanks!

jbheuerman
05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I have the two snap covers for my XLV, one for the bow, and one for the cabin. I leave the poles in and pull it down the road just as if it was sitting in my driveway. The expandable poles keep tension on the covers, and with the snaps about every 6", I've never had an issue with them coming undone traveling down the road.