PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel vibration

chausj1
06-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I recently brought my boat (o4 Mobius LSV) in to the local dealer due to a vibration in the steering wheel. This is mostly noticed when under load. The dealer replaced the steering cable and what they called the helm. I took the boat out this weekend and the vibration is still there. Perhaps a little worse. I have seen a few posts on this subject but I have not heard of any solutions.

Please help.

Also, any thoughts on how the dealer should handle my issue? I don't like paying for new helms and cables when by boat was steering fine and they did not fix my issue.

insanepolack
06-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Your driveshaft may be bent or your prop might be bent. You could have bent it by hitting something or even beaching your boat on the shoreline

MOOMBA_97
07-01-2009, 08:25 AM
That sounds like what my old Boomerang was doing. It was very short when pulling a skier or loading the boat. I ended up replacing the clamp block that holds the steering cable in the back. If I remember correctly the clamp block wasn't tightening all the way to the boat either. I had to put a couple of washers between the bolt and clamp block to take up the slack. If I would have done that before, I probably wouldn't have had to replace the entire block. It still did it slightly even then but it was much better. Something to check anyway.

Monty

chausj1
07-01-2009, 09:35 AM
If it were the drive shaft or prop wouldn't I notice it at more at higher speeds? It does not vibrate all the time. And It is only in the steering wheel and not the boat. Does that still sound liek a Prop or shaft issue?

chausj1
07-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks, Not that Handy myself but I will reccoment to the dealer that thye give the clamp block a check

slalomskier
07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I get a shudder some times when I am just starting off, but I have attributed it to some weeds on the prop/ rudder, once I get going it seems to be fine.

The lake I am on is pretty weedy in places.

chausj1
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I am thinking this may be weed related. After we are out of the weeds everything runs very well. But the takeing off in the weeds is really loud and violent. How much shaking is considered normal?