PDA

View Full Version : tower speakers

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-29-2009, 09:01 PM
ok i know this is a broad question and i'm gonna get a ton of different answers but i just bought my mobius a week ago and i wanted to add some tower speakers. any help on what brands give out a good sound would be great! adding tower speakers with the factory system ok or should i upgrade the whole thing? anybody happy or dissatisfied i'd like to know so i can steer clear of any problems! everyones input please!

tazz3069
06-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I would definitely upgrade the system. I have two pair of MB Quart speakers on my Tower and they sound awesome. I am pushing them with a kicker MX350.4 amp.

Jeff W
06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Probably easier to let us know what your budget is and we can go from there.

Kicker makes a really affordable tower speaker while Wet Sounds and NVS make extremely high end..

How much do you want to spend?

tprkolbas
06-30-2009, 09:11 AM
lovin' my wetsounds (pro-80's & mb-8's)

moombamania
06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
How much do you want to spend?

Excellent point....

It's like the ol powerboat adage "How fast can I go... How much money you got" :)

mmandley
06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
I upgraded my system for about 800 bucks, 2 amps new towers and all the hard ware.

Theres a couple really good threads on stereos and such. Also have to factor in are you installing or paying a shop. That adds a lot to your budget. I figure i saved at least 500 doing all my own work from the estimates the shops gave me. The tower install is the most expensive. I have some pics in my profile and pride and joy section.

Let me know if you want some details on my system.

Welcome to the forums and

B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand
ing

Hillbilly
06-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Also depends on if you want music to hear in and around the boat tied up or do you want to hear it while riding.

I used to have 4 6x9's on the tower of my old boat that sounded great.
Now I have an HSE Trident box and it is STUPID LOUD. It sounds awesome while riding but a little much while in the boat.

Whatever you get make sure you give it enough power, Because even the best speakers sound like junk if under powered. And it can blow the speakers.

I also suggest getting the HSE volume control. It seems unnecessary but once you use it is really great to have.

lancesaville
07-02-2009, 01:04 AM
lovin' my wetsounds (pro-80's & mb-8's)

I 2nd that one. The 'double-up' setup that wetsounds sells fills out the system very nicely. It's the pair of pro 60's for the highs, and a pair of mb-8's for midbass. They look pretty good too...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3563/sdc15291g.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4600/sdc152712sm.jpg

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-02-2009, 08:54 AM
lance i love your set up on the speakers... u say they sound good and they sure look damn good. whats a website i can check them out on and what could i expect to pay for the two pair?

m mandley yes i'd like to hear what your set up too is.

tazz yours looks bad ass too where did u mount your sub at on your boat?

i'm 27 years old and when i'm out with my buddies and young family i wanna crank it up even when i'm driving. but also gonna have my parents and other family on it that will wanna do more b.s.in then hear music blaring so i'm sure i an equalizer will help me with that or the simply the volume control right?

audio is something i don't know much about so i'd probably take it to someone to get done just wanna know what all i will need. if i could keep it around 1000-1500 max is that unreasonable to think that?

most of you guys keep the factory unit and speakers in and just add to it or redo the whole shootin match?

lancesaville
07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
You can find them at wetsounds..

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/double-up.html

And heres a clip from youtube (i think from one of the moomba board members) of a couple boats with wetsounds speakers, gives you an idea of how far they can 'project' the sound out behind the boat. Inside the boat, they blend in with your regular speakers and aren't overbearingly loud...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFDZGTzQw8

Good luck!

mmandley
07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
lance i love your set up on the speakers... u say they sound good and they sure look damn good. whats a website i can check them out on and what could i expect to pay for the two pair?

m mandley yes i'd like to hear what your set up too is.

tazz yours looks bad ass too where did u mount your sub at on your boat?

i'm 27 years old and when i'm out with my buddies and young family i wanna crank it up even when i'm driving. but also gonna have my parents and other family on it that will wanna do more b.s.in then hear music blaring so i'm sure i an equalizer will help me with that or the simply the volume control right?

audio is something i don't know much about so i'd probably take it to someone to get done just wanna know what all i will need. if i could keep it around 1000-1500 max is that unreasonable to think that?

most of you guys keep the factory unit and speakers in and just add to it or redo the whole shootin match?

Im running an all Kicker system right now. keeping the cost down as i just got my boat and tons of upgrades and gear going into it this year already.

Kicker cabins 6 standard.
Kicker comp 10 sub
Powered by Kicker 700.5 amp-- $225
KMT6 tower speakers. -- $220
Powered by Kicker 450.2 -- $200
Cables, wires, fuse block apx --$100

I installed everything myself. The boat had 2 amps so all i really had to do was relocate the sub to the 700 amp and run tower speaker wires.

Sound wise. In the boat its very loud and extremely clean sounding im a bit of an audio freek and love loud clean music. No static, no humming, and no distortion.

KMT6 Towers are really nice, in the boat you hear them but not over powering, behind the boat at Wake board distance they can be heard and sound pretty dam good, at Wake Surf speed they will blast you away and still sound really good.

I will admit im seriously thinking of doing a full Wet sounds system next year as i like the best and they seem to be one of the best boating systems. Only concern i have is i don't want to replace the amps next year so i will have to do some research and make sure what im running can power the Wet sounds set up. I wouldn't mind having to reconfigure stuff but i hate to replace the amps so soon.

jjolson
07-04-2009, 09:14 AM
In my opinion, KMT6's are the best sound/dollar. If you have no issues with money then go with Wetsounds!
I run the factory Stereo with 2 kicker amps 200.4 and 650.4, clarion eq, and kmt6's.

It is as loud as i need it and the people from the shore say it sounds good. ;)

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-05-2009, 10:58 AM
In my opinion, KMT6's are the best sound/dollar. If you have no issues with money then go with Wetsounds!
I run the factory Stereo with 2 kicker amps 200.4 and 650.4, clarion eq, and kmt6's.

It is as loud as i need it and the people from the shore say it sounds good. ;)

does the clarion eq help you regulate where the sound is coming from or do i need something different for that ? like say i'm anchored and just wanna swim and relax with the tower speakers and shut off the cabin or if i got the older crew with me and just wanna run the cabins so i don't make their hearing any worse?

mofierka
07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
My best purchase has to be the wet sounds 420 EQ. I'm sure you have seen this thing. It gives you control over everything, tower, cabin and sub. It even has a input for your IPOD and the talkback microphone is a nifty option. Highly Recommended!

My setup is:
-Factory Stereo
-Factory Kicker 6" in the cabin
-2 Rockford Fosgate 10" Subs
-Pair Wetsounds Pro 60 on Tower
-Wtesounds 420 WS EQ
-Kicker 700.5 Amp (Cabin Speakers and 1 Sub)
-Kisker 150.2 Amp (1 Sub)
-Rockford Fosgate 600.2 Amp (Tower)

jjolson
07-05-2009, 06:52 PM
does the clarion eq help you regulate where the sound is coming from or do i need something different for that ? like say i'm anchored and just wanna swim and relax with the tower speakers and shut off the cabin or if i got the older crew with me and just wanna run the cabins so i don't make their hearing any worse?

Yes it you can fade it for all tower, all cabin or anywhere in between. Great clean sound. It was cheap online.

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-05-2009, 07:35 PM
anyone have or heard the kicker ks600 doubles i like the looks of those a little better then the kmt6 pods but not sure in the sounds difference in them.

mmandley
07-06-2009, 12:36 PM
I have not herd them but ive read a lot on the car style speakers versus the actual marine tower designed speakers.

Lots of debate on if the speakers designed more for cars can produce the sound on the water in a tower application. I haven't personally really herd any can style speaker systems, so fare most of the systems i have herd are wet sounds, fusion, and my KMTs. I really like the sound of the Fusion series also but also was very much persuaded by this forum to stay away from them.

adsman
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I 2nd that one. The 'double-up' setup that wetsounds sells fills out the system very nicely. It's the pair of pro 60's for the highs, and a pair of mb-8's for midbass. They look pretty good too...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3563/sdc15291g.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4600/sdc152712sm.jpg

nice setup. I am looking at the double-up package as well... what AMP are you running? I was looking at teh SYN-4 ? Also, what clamps are you using?... doesnt look the the standard clamps... are they the swivels...if so, did you go with the swivels for looks or function?

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-16-2009, 04:52 PM
ok mandley this is for you or anyone else who knows more then me on this set up. i got my original amp 200.4 for the cabin speakers now i wanna get the kmt6 and kicker sub. will one more amp for that be ok or should i get an amp for each one and if so what size amp you think? i want the amp to the tower speakers to be big enough that way in a few years i can upgrade tower speakers to wetsounds but don't think i can pull that off this year with all the other purchases i'm making. also is the sub over kill or will system sound better with it?

danimal365
07-16-2009, 06:46 PM
do you think the wetsounds would fit with the z5? I would like to add tower speakers, but i'm not sure of the room. Anyone done it yet?

jester
07-16-2009, 06:56 PM
If they dont fit under you could flip them around so they sit above the tower. I have seen this done with people who have too many speakers on the tower. They have a line of speakers below the tower and a line on top of the tower.

kfechner
07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey Gus,

Go to liquidaudiosounds.com and then go to a local best buy to get the speakers to fit. This is the most cost effective way of doing it I have found.

Ken

lancesaville
07-16-2009, 08:00 PM
nice setup. I am looking at the double-up package as well... what AMP are you running? I was looking at teh SYN-4 ? Also, what clamps are you using?... doesnt look the the standard clamps... are they the swivels...if so, did you go with the swivels for looks or function?

Sorry for the late reply, forgot about this thread - I use a syn2, gives me 175 watts per speaker on the double-up. Syn4 can do 125 per speaker I believe, less wattage, but you'd have a different crossover for the mb-8's and pro-60's whereas on mine they share a crossover. for 50 bucks more i'd get the syn 4 for the separate crossovers, kinda wish I had, but didn't consider that fact at the time.

Oh and those are the trick-connect clamps, got em so i could take off the speakers and leave the clamps mounted. They run about 300 bux tho, they're stainless steel.