PDA

View Full Version : Type of gas station to use

jester
06-29-2009, 03:52 PM
So i was talking to a friend the other day and he told me Shell gas was the best to use in the boat since it burns cleaner than the rest. Has anyone else heard of this? What station does everyone else fill up at and have you had any problems?

04OUTBACK
06-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I try to stick with branded stations (Chevron cuz it's close to storage or on way to other lake for me..) and try to avoid ethanol when possible..

other than that, i don't specifically pick out brand

sandm
06-29-2009, 04:21 PM
yea, you might be surprised at who else the jobbers are selling gas to besides the branded stations. kinda funny, but we only have one pipe coming into boise. all gas comes from slc and it doesn't matter the brand. once here, they add the "magic additives" and then it's branded gas, but they all start out from the same pipe.

mmandley
06-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Im a Chevron guy myself. Always have always will. Never an issue with any gas using machine on Chevron fuel.

I don't know about Idaho, my mom used to work for Chevron for 10+ years, hence why i am a Chevron man, she said Chevron is not a blended or bulk fuel that has anything added, its all ran and mixed at and by Chevron and trucked all over, hence part of the reason Chevron always costs more.

I dont know much about different fuels but i know Chevron only uses there furl storage tanks for 5 years then they dig them up and replace them, they are checked ever day for water, and they periodically drain the tanks and refill them so there's no sediment to clog there filters or yours. For a few cents a gallon i will pay for Chevron over corner store gas.

flex
06-30-2009, 11:49 AM
i stick with the brand names. Texaco is the closet (which is same as Chevron) so that's who i use and Shell. I always add Sta-bil and re fill the tank after each use.

I did read on Indmar site that their motors are engineered for the lessor octacne (i think they had 89 listed) and ethanol gas is okay to use.

In my opinion, avoid ethanol if possible and buy the 93 octane.

jester
06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Guy's thanks for your posts. I do try to stay away from the ethanol c**p but the only station in my area that sales non ethanol is on the far end of town and was not designed to have a boat pulled thru.

SEARK
06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
The only branded station we have is Exxon. They have the "up to 10% ethenol" and so does every other station in town (all non-branded local companies). I have no choice about that (sucks). When out of town I try to use Shell or Chevron if available.