PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Mobious overheating

dposch
06-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Replaced shredded impeller about 2 weekends ago and there didn't appear to be any blockage - boat ran well and did not overheat. Fast-forward to today - boat starting overheating at higher speeds and would only cool back down to 180 degrees at lower speeds and at an idle. Am I still looking at a blocked cooling system from the shredded impeller or could it be a thermostat? It is a 2002 Mobius with the Indmar 310 HP.

dereklschmidt
06-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Had a real similar problem not too long ago. My thermostat was actually broke. The spring worked fine, but it came apart from the cap so the cap would not open and allow much water to pass through it. Try replacing the thermostat and see if that fixes it, it's only about $13 and a 5 - 10 minute fix.

dposch
06-29-2009, 09:17 AM
thanks - I will get it replace this week.

Sled491
06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Put it on the fake a lake in the driveway. Pull the plugs on the block while she's running. This will let you see how far the water is going and how fast. I had the starboard side filled with sand this spring. Took quite a while to clear it out.

dposch
06-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Since this Mobius only runs on a sandpit, that makes sense. Sounds like I need to flush it out and change the thermostat just in case. thanks for the input.

Sled491
07-05-2009, 07:34 PM
So, how'd it go? And I have the same sand pit problem. I go through a coolant hose a season from the sand grinding out the inside of my hoses:(

kaneboats
07-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Sled, have you tried treating the inside of them with anything before install? Like Armor all or something? I wonder if the 303 protectant might help the sand slide easier without grinding. I bet there's something that would help.

Sled491
07-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Never gave it any thought, but you might be on to something. I'll have to check with Z on this and see what he thinks, but based on the response from his computer the other morning I think he's still recovering from your mini jamboree:)

kaneboats
07-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Recovering? We haven't even left yet. Although I hear he's already up there. Anyway, it occurred to me that a protectant might just get you a little more time out of your hoses so I thought I'd throw the idea out there. Sometimes brainstorming all kinds of ideas will lead to the one that does work. Hope all's well with you.