PDA

View Full Version : KMT6 Issue

mmandley
06-28-2009, 12:18 PM
OK all you stereo buffs, LOL. Yesterday the second real time i had the boat on the water with the new KMT6 speakers, i herd some static in the towers. Now its only in the towers not the cabin.

Towers are on a Kicker 450.2 and the boat was floating, no engine, music was pretty low actually.

Deck - Kenwood factory

Problem - I had the Fader on the stereo at 10 to the front so it would turn down the tower speakers as i didn't want to broadcast to the lake. I noticed even when i turned the fader up to 15 so the towers received no signal they still had static. I thought maybe i had a bad MP3 track but then it wasn't in my cabin speakers.

The static isn't volume related as in it doesn't get louder with more power, but its pretty significant and it seems to sound like its from the horn tweeter, i did notice when i turned the fader to 0 and let them play they sounded clean and clear. Is this a sign of my Kenwood lacking?

ToddXLV
06-28-2009, 03:58 PM
OK all you stereo buffs, LOL. Yesterday the second real time i had the boat on the water with the new KMT6 speakers, i herd some static in the towers. Now its only in the towers not the cabin.

Towers are on a Kicker 450.2 and the boat was floating, no engine, music was pretty low actually.

Deck - Kenwood factory

Problem - I had the Fader on the stereo at 10 to the front so it would turn down the tower speakers as i didn't want to broadcast to the lake. I noticed even when i turned the fader up to 15 so the towers received no signal they still had static. I thought maybe i had a bad MP3 track but then it wasn't in my cabin speakers.

The static isn't volume related as in it doesn't get louder with more power, but its pretty significant and it seems to sound like its from the horn tweeter, i did notice when i turned the fader to 0 and let them play they sounded clean and clear. Is this a sign of my Kenwood lacking?

Sounds like ground issues. Check the ground at the amp.

Hey mmandley. I am about to put a JL-300amp amp in my boat to power the 6 cabin speakers. I have that 4 channel Kenwood amp powering the tower speakers on 2 channels then I bridged the other 2 channels to the floor woofer under the driver. Sounds a lot better but the stereo cuts out when too loud because whoever hooked this stereo up has all of the cabin speakers running off deck power. So it's just a little rewiring and a new amp. I also put in a 1.50 fared capacitor. I have another cap laying around. Should I put another cap in there for the 2nd amp?

mmandley
06-29-2009, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't worry about it so much on just a cabin speaker or tower speaker set up. None of them tax the amp enough to need a power burst. Now the Sub system will benefit the most from it. I would install it on your amp with the sub, even if its running other speakers. I don't have one for my 700.5 yet but its an upgrade id like to get.

As for the static today i had the towers on normal with fader at 0 all day and never herd the static. So im hopping its the fader control causing it and ill jsut keep the towers at 0 fade for full power.

I worked on my sub on Friday and it hitting much harder, it was sounding pretty weak before and the tower speakers are so loud they were drowning out the sub. Today the system was rocking. I do need a proper sub enclosure and im going to work on that this winter. No time for all that custom stuff right now.

7 solid days of sun and i plan to spend more then not at the lake while im on vacation.