PDA

View Full Version : Engine left me stranded for an hour today....

LSM
06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Hey guys,

I've had my 06 LSV since the end of April. (Electronic Fuel Inj) It has 143 hrs on it right now. I've put 23 on it myself.

It has started and ran perfectly on every boating trip this spring except the past 2 trips.

One evening last week I put over 20 gallons in it then went to the lake. While idling around looking at lake houses the engine died. Just went from running smooth to dead. I reached down and started it up and it started perfectly. 15 minutes later.....it died again. I started it up and it ran for 15 mins or so and died again. I fired it up and run it down the lake at 27-28 mph for 8 - 10 miles or so and it never did it again.

At the time I was thinking bad gas but it ran so well the rest of the evening.

Today my wife dropped me in the water, I reached down and it fired right up. We ran down the lake, anchor'd out and let the kids play in the water. 1 hour later I fired it up to pull the kids on the tube and it started but was running very, very rough. I gave it a little gas but it ran so terrible that it finally went dead.

Following that it would not restart. It would only spin over. I waited a few minutes and tried it again only for it to spin. I tried it at least 8 times over 20minutes and it never once sounded like it was going to fire. Only spin and spin.

I pulled up anchor and started to paddle out into the main channel of the lake to look for a pull. After 10 minutes of that crap I ask my wife to try it again and it started right up as if nothing ever happened....."thank the good lord above" Paddling a 21.5 ft V-drive sucks......!!

It ran as smooth as ever. We ran it over 10 miles and it never ran rough again.

Its pretty low on fuel now so I'm hoping the gas was bad, but that doesn't make sense being the boat runs so well when it is running.........

Any ideas........?

I could hear the fuel pump priming for each attempted start...

ToddXLV
06-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey guys,

I've had my 06 LSV since the end of April. (Electronic Fuel Inj) It has 143 hrs on it right now. I've put 23 on it myself.

It has started and ran perfectly on every boating trip this spring except the past 2 trips.

One evening last week I put over 20 gallons in it then went to the lake. While idling around looking at lake houses the engine died. Just went from running smooth to dead. I reached down and started it up and it started perfectly. 15 minutes later.....it died again. I started it up and it ran for 15 mins or so and died again. I fired it up and run it down the lake at 27-28 mph for 8 - 10 miles or so and it never did it again.

At the time I was thinking bad gas but it ran so well the rest of the evening.

Today my wife dropped me in the water, I reached down and it fired right up. We ran down the lake, anchor'd out and let the kids play in the water. 1 hour later I fired it up to pull the kids on the tube and it started but was running very, very rough. I gave it a little gas but it ran so terrible that it finally went dead.

Following that it would not restart. It would only spin over. I waited a few minutes and tried it again only for it to spin. I tried it at least 8 times over 20minutes and it never once sounded like it was going to fire. Only spin and spin.

I pulled up anchor and started to paddle out into the main channel of the lake to look for a pull. After 10 minutes of that crap I ask my wife to try it again and it started right up as if nothing ever happened....."thank the good lord above" Paddling a 21.5 ft V-drive sucks......!!

It ran as smooth as ever. We ran it over 10 miles and it never ran rough again.

Its pretty low on fuel now so I'm hoping the gas was bad, but that doesn't make sense being the boat runs so well when it is running.........

Any ideas........?

I could hear the fuel pump priming for each attempted start...

Change the fuel filter. Sounds like a clogged fuel filter.

scoot_gt
06-28-2009, 09:44 PM
1 hour later I fired it up to pull the kids on the tube and it started but was running very, very rough. I gave it a little gas but it ran so terrible that it finally went dead.

This sound exactly like vapor lock. It was hot today in 'Bama I'm sure cause it was steaming in Atlanta. My 06 did exactly this for the 1st time last weekend. Started, ran EXTREMELY rough, died, would not restart - only turn over. All this was after parked for 45mins or so (I did NOT have the blower running nor did I have the engine compartment open during this time). Blower running and cold rag (dunked into the cooler) then wrapped around the fuel pump got me started within 5-10mins or so.

I think the gas in AL is getting a tad more ethanol than years past - IMNSFHO.

I'm not sure if this explains the conking out while idling or not..? Less water cooling while slow cruising though.

LSM
06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
This sound exactly like vapor lock. It was hot today in 'Bama I'm sure cause it was steaming in Atlanta. My 06 did exactly this for the 1st time last weekend. Started, ran EXTREMELY rough, died, would not restart - only turn over. All this was after parked for 45mins or so (I did NOT have the blower running nor did I have the engine compartment open during this time). Blower running and cold rag (dunked into the cooler) then wrapped around the fuel pump got me started within 5-10mins or so.

I think the gas in AL is getting a tad more ethanol than years past - IMNSFHO.

I'm not sure if this explains the conking out while idling or not..? Less water cooling while slow cruising though.

Hey thanks,

I think you are on to something.

I went ahead and pulled the fuel filter last night. It looks clean as gas will pour straight through it with no signs of dirt or trash.

The vapor lock on a hot day in bama just may be the deal. Plus the ethonal in the gas may be a heavly added factor.

I'm going to change the filter since I have it out and fill it up at Chevron. (no ethonal)

Running the blower is probably a good idea on a hot day. It sucks to have to hear it run while parked and swimming but it beats paddling.

scoot_gt
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
..fill it up at Chevron. (no ethonal)

Are all Chevron's no ethanol? This would def be good info!

mmandley
06-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Im not sure if all are No Ethonal but i have been using only Chevron gas in every type of engine i run, cars, trucks, boats, lawn equipment, never once had a fuel system issue for 20 years

Ive never had to change a filter from being plugged, never a bad injector, never a bad pump, nothing of the sort.

I'm not sure if its because of Chevron gas but i rather pay that extra 2 or 3 c ents a gallon then pay for fuel system repairs.

LSM
06-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Are all Chevron's no ethanol? This would def be good info!

Not sure about all Chevron's but there is one here by the house that has a big sign out front stating "Zero Ethonal in our Gas". I'm going to try it.

The gas is always 5 cents a gallon or more higher than the others but I'm going to try it anyway. Fuel system problems on the water is a bad thing, especially if your miles from your truck.....

meech
06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
vapor lock ... had the same problem a month or so ago...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=8145