PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic says I need new carburetor, I need advice

graybmg
06-26-2009, 11:40 PM
My mechanic tried the carb rebuild kit but says my Moomba now needs a new carb. I have a 2001 Outback with the Holley carb. 350 hours and I bought it used just a few months ago. Runs great at WOT but when I pull into the dock I get black smoke and it stalls. Running rich. So it does sound like a carburetor issue.

Question is, where do I find the right carburetor at the right price? Websites? Local auto parts place? Do I have to get the same carb? Also, I don't want to purchase at the marina at full price.

I am not very experienced with engines so whatever advice anyone can offer would be great.

Thanks,
Brian

graybmg
06-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't have the boat with me, does anyone know if the stock carb is 2 or 4 barrel?

maxpower220
06-27-2009, 08:44 AM
You may want to find the "right mechanic" at the right price. Someone who knows carbs should be able to fix the one you already have. Of course, with the hourly rate so high these days and the cost of carbs going down, it may be cheaper to buy a new one.

Shop around with a search on the internet "marine carb" will probably get you in the right direction.

brownski
06-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I agree with Max, I'd check with another mechanic. Hard to believe you would need a new carb at 350 hours. Also I believe it is a 4 barrel.

james yarosz
06-27-2009, 07:43 PM
The carb is definately a 4 barrel.Any decent "hot rod" mechanic should be able to rebuild a holley in about an hour.Make sure he replaces the power valve,that's probally the problem.

Suprahunter
06-27-2009, 10:20 PM
James is on the mark. Holley's are one of the easiest carbs to build. You could probubly do it yourself . Get a kit from Skidim any decent mechanic should be able to do it . It does sound like a blown power valve problem.

graybmg
06-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Really, blown power valve? I suppose that would be cheaper to fix than replacing the carburetor... He seemed so convincing about my carb spewing fuel and the butterfly valves being loose and yada yada... wish I knew where to find a good mechanic. I'm held hostage around here. And I want my d#$% boat back. I need to ski!!!

Thanks for the input. It is very much appreciated. Can't wait to win the lottery and buy brand new boat with EFI.

ToddXLV
06-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, to rebuild a 4 barrell Holley or Quadrajet is pretty simple. You could do it yourself within 2 hours easily. You could also buy a new one for good price if you shop around. My old boat had a Quadrajet 4 barrel. One thing I didn't like, it wouldn't start for awhile after running at WOT for a extended time.

Boy do I enjoy EFI. Boat starts up on the 1st crank every time.

Suprahunter
06-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Really, blown power valve? I suppose that would be cheaper to fix than replacing the carburetor... He seemed so convincing about my carb spewing fuel and the butterfly valves being loose and yada yada... wish I knew where to find a good mechanic. I'm held hostage around here. And I want my d#$% boat back. I need to ski!!!

Thanks for the input. It is very much appreciated. Can't wait to win the lottery and buy brand new boat with EFI.

The power valve is located under the front bowl. Look for a plate with 4 screws remove it then the power valve screws in the bowl. I recommend going through the whole carb. Then you know its right.

graybmg
06-28-2009, 01:00 PM
I wish I had the patience to find the "right" mechanic but my addiction to skiing has me probably buying the new carburetor. I can't wait long enough to find someone who can service my boat right now and I'd have to beg and borrow to get it towed somewhere else. It's just money, right? I'm not so sad since I got a good deal on it (thinking all along it needed a new carb) and it is 8 years old.

Thanks for everyone's two cents. See you on the lake!

Suprahunter
06-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Its a sorry day in Bama when you have to spend 4-5 hundred because the so called marine mechanic cant fix it. I once had one tell my neighbor he needed a new engine. I looked at it it was loaded with gas, flooded and the cylinders were washed down . They also burned the starter up . New starter,oil change and spark plugs later. He is still running the BAD engine?

ToddXLV
06-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Its a sorry day in Bama when you have to spend 4-5 hundred because the so called marine mechanic cant fix it. I once had one tell my neighbor he needed a new engine. I looked at it it was loaded with gas, flooded and the cylinders were washed down . They also burned the starter up . New starter,oil change and spark plugs later. He is still running the BAD engine?

Ya and the mechanic keeps the "bad engine" and uses it as a "rebuild" to put in someone elses car. I try to do as much work as possible on my own vehicles and boat but I have a honest mechanic when needed. It took years to find a good, honest mechanic. Most of them are scumballs. Best thing is to do your own research and learn the basics of fixing your boat or car. You would be surprised at what you can do yourself. Working on cars and boats is not rocket science, anybody can do it. The GM350 is a straight forward, reliable engine that has been around forever. Any car mechanic can work on this engine as long as they use the right marine parts. I have a car mechanic that has no problem working on my XLV but I have never had a reason to use him yet. Screw brining your boat into the stealership, they will rip a hole in the back of your pants and rape you right there. I have done all of the maintainence on my boat and it runs like a top. I was doing almost 50mph on the water yesterday with 6 people in my oversized XLV. That puts a big smile on your face on the way back from a nice day of boating. I replaced a head on my old boat and it wasn't as hard as it sounds. Of course I had some help from a friend who knows more than I did but everything turned out fine.

graybmg
06-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Points taken. I've got to do some homework and legwork. I just wish I had done it earlier in the season. I hate waiting. However, I do have some friends who know the GM 350 and can probably help. I was just a little hesitant to have them do it. I bought the Clymer service manual which is quite helpful. Maybe I'll be a pro at this soon and can charge someone else!

Thanks again.

Suprahunter
06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Gray
Tell your friend you will take him out in the boat once you get it running correctly. Boats of your vintage are very simple to repair you may not be able to do everything but with a little help from your friend and this forum you will be surprised how much you can do.

Note not all mechanics and dealers are bad if you are lucky you will find a good one.

graybmg
07-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks again everyone. I called Summit and had them deliver a new Holley 4150 marine carb to my "mechanic" which he promptly installed. (boat was in the shop for 3!!! weeks)

But NOW it starts on the first try, no black smoke, no stalling, smooth sailing. I'm going to educate myself so I don't have to rely on mechanics. Okay, I spent a little more than I should have but I can take my boat out again! Lesson learned.

See you on the lake.
Brian

kaneboats
07-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Hey, sometimes when it's "in season" you do what you have to do. You're running now and that's what really matters. The rest just gets filed away for next time.