PDA

View Full Version : Water Depth

truetexan84
06-26-2009, 12:37 PM
What is the recomended water depth for wakesurfing. I know that the shallower the water the smaller the wake will be. If the water is too deep will that effect it also?

Razzman
06-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Only 6-8' Ed? Our lake currently is well over 200' in most areas and it's around 80' right off the ramp.

mmandley
06-26-2009, 04:45 PM
The lakes we goto vary from 15 to 200 also. The most common area we surf in is 50 to 100 near the edges to stay out of the wind.

I was with Newty back in May and when we went from 50ft to 10ft his wave got all small and weak looking.

I think the depth you need in the lake relates to the amount of ballast you run in the boat.

Newty runs a ton of ballast so it would explain why he needs deeper water.

zegm
06-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Like Ed states there isn't hardly any deep water here in Florida. Our lake averages between 8 and 12 feet deep and up the creeks that feed the lake we have seen 19 to 20 feet Max!
Even when I go out fishing in the Gulf of Mexico I have to go 70 miles to hit the continental shelf from Panama City. I have gone 60 miles before it hit 300 feet deep! Within site of the beach which is 15 or so miles it is around 100 feet deep!

kaneboats
06-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Wonder if that's why my surf wake looks decent most of the time. The Flint River where we run averages about 20-28 ft deep. From riding with Moombadaze I think if you have over about 10 the wake is fine but if it gets under about 6 you definitely feel it flatten.

sandm
06-27-2009, 10:11 AM
man, I freak when the depth gets below 7ft. our lake drops to well over 200ft in most spots just 40ft from the bank.
the spring lake we ride is 20-25ft and I cringe a little in it....

truetexan84
06-28-2009, 01:58 AM
just got back from the lake. we were surfing in about 20-25 feet of water today. the wave looked awesome. it also helped that we were running about 2,000lbs of friends and 1,000lbs of ballast. the wave was huge!!!

mmandley
06-28-2009, 12:08 PM
man, I freak when the depth gets below 7ft. our lake drops to well over 200ft in most spots just 40ft from the bank.
the spring lake we ride is 20-25ft and I cringe a little in it....

Im the same way, if i see the bottom of the lake i tend to move to deeper waters LOL.

Question, how shallow can the water be before i have to worry about the Prop hitting bottom?

Yesterday at the local Hagg lake, there was tons of boat hording the docks and i had to take a spot in the front near the shore, when i was getting the boat to turn around, the water was down to 3ft. I was getting a bit worried. I shut the boat off and used a collapsible pole to shove away from the shore.

sandm
06-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I have brushed bottom with 3ft showing on the depth. fortunately was not running.
try to find deeper water docks after that.
smart move to shut her down. never know where there's a buried rock...

kaneboats
06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=mmandley;68573]Im the same way, if i see the bottom of the lake i tend to move to deeper waters LOL.
QUOTE]

If you see the bottom of the lake in FL it's too late.

SEARK
06-30-2009, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=mmandley;68573]Im the same way, if i see the bottom of the lake i tend to move to deeper waters LOL.
QUOTE]

If you see the bottom of the lake in FL it's too late.

Same way here. You see the bottom then you're on shore. :)

GeauxTigers
07-06-2009, 03:26 PM
I would freak out if my depth gauge showed an average of 6-8 ft all the time. Two weeks ago, in Lake Powell, I put a nice scratch on the bottom of my boat going over a rock. I can't think how lucky we were that we did not hit the rock head on. It would have made a mess of the prop and rudder. As it is, we thought we had found the Loch Ness monster until we pulled the boat out. There was no noise whatsoever. All we felt was the right side of the boat come up in the air about 2 feet and then back to normal. Incidentally, we were in about 125 feet of water when this happened.

mmandley
07-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Sounds more like a dead head tree you hit. Did it damage the gell coat?

yearround
07-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Two weeks ago, in Lake Powell, I put a nice scratch on the bottom of my boat going over a rock. I can't think how lucky we were that we did not hit the rock head on. It would have made a mess of the prop and rudder. As it is, we thought we had found the Loch Ness monster until we pulled the boat out. There was no noise whatsoever. All we felt was the right side of the boat come up in the air about 2 feet and then back to normal. Incidentally, we were in about 125 feet of water when this happened.

Powell is notorious for the rock that jut up from no where. we seen boats stuck on a mystery rocks in the channel. glad the family is okay! the boat can be repaired.

GeauxTigers
07-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Sounds more like a dead head tree you hit. Did it damage the gell coat?

No damage to the gel coat. I need to figure out a way to lift it off the trailer so I can buff it out. It was definitely not a tree judging by the pattern of the scratches. We were lucky!

mmandley
07-07-2009, 10:51 PM
As for lifting it there's always the proper strap and crane method. The guy up the street takes his boat off the trailer all the time. He uses 2x4s he has them nailed together with carpet stapled to them, the back one he just cut a V into it as hes got a I/O drive. Id think if you just take your time and got 3 jacks you can rig it up to lift it straight up you wont be able to get the trailer out from under it as easily but you can lift it off the bunks.