PDA

View Full Version : Seat Cushions

truetexan84
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know if any of the seat cushions on a '08 LSV count as throwable PFD's? Thanks for the help.

Razzman
06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
No they do not. USCG states you must have an "approved" cushion and i know that they don't meet the criteria. One obvious reason is the lack of handles or arm holes.

truetexan84
06-26-2009, 11:52 AM
thank you very much Razzman. thank you for clearing that up for me

Razzman
06-26-2009, 12:04 PM
No problem, it's what we do here! :p

kaneboats
06-27-2009, 08:28 AM
I've never seen an approved one that didn't have a tag on it saying so. Then again, how would you know if it didn't?

zabooda
06-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Most states and maybe the CG also state the throwable must be easily accessable which makes sense. So if your throwable is buried under stuff you don't meet the criteria.

Sled491
06-29-2009, 10:05 AM
If you read the tags closely on regular life jackets and throwables you'll even see they are a different class of preserver

sandm
06-29-2009, 11:41 AM
man, I'm stuck then. we carry 2, one for the dock to help protect the boat and one to throw, but both are typically buried.
kind of like the "starter" pack of lifejackets buried under the bow seats that count as 4 more jackets but haven't seen the light of day since new.

zabooda
06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
I had my throwable buried and I've been warned a few times so now I have it right under the bow seat. The purpose is to be able to throw it to someone that falls overboard or in immediate need of a flotation device and having it under a bunch of stuff or not knowing where it is stored won't serve its purpose.

ian ashton
06-29-2009, 02:09 PM
I have one that fits perfectly in the area to the left side of my leg, when I'm sitting in the drivers seat. With the fire extinguisher re-located to the same area it holds the throwable in place perfectly.

sandm
06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I know exactly where mine is stored at all times, I just don't keep it out in the open or within arms reach.

jester
06-29-2009, 05:15 PM
The USCG and most states require that all life jackts are out and you can get too easely when underway. Now how many people keep the life jackets out is another question.

I do keep my throwable on the right side of the drivers seat. It fits perfectly between the haul and the seat.

If you want the USCG safety check list go to the site below. It goes into detail on what you need.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/vsc/vsc_a.html

ian ashton
06-29-2009, 05:32 PM
I was stopped on the water and issued a warning for not having my life jackets easily accessable, now every time I take the boat out I make sure we've got however many we need out. The orange ones fit perfectly between the floor and the backseat of the Outback, and they also fit under the bow filler cushion, so they don't get in the way. I usually strap the ski vests onto the tower, so they are out of the way.

Its good piece of mind to have the vest near by, if nothing else to avoid the ticket (said by the person who rides regularly without a spotter.)

jester
06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Ian,

I have noticed that with the USCG safety check sticker on the back of my boat the cops stay away unless your doing somthing stupid. Now to get around the having to have a third you could get a blow up doll and just put her in the seat next to the driver. She could also be your throwable just in case. I wander if you could get one that is USCG approved.

sandm
06-29-2009, 06:44 PM
we've never been hassled on our lake for "accessability". as long as you aren't doing anything dumb, lake might have 200 boats spread out and only 2 cops. they spend most of their time looking for drunks and keeping the pwc's in-check. I haven't ridden with anyone yet that keeps enough jackets ready to go. but I see the point...

now riding without a spotter, it's zero tolerance for that both on our lake and on our boat..

maybe someone on here knows the name... short story..
I ride a zx-6r to work every day. the "ladies" that hang out downtown on the weekends looking for rides are called "tire biters". kind of slang for a "chick" looking for a ride on a crotch rocket.
now, is there a name for the chicks that hang out on the public docks looking for a ride in a boat for the day in exchange for holding the flag for 2 riders in a boat???
we have 2 public docks full of them every weekend.

mmandley
06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't know about yall but were i come from those chicks at the docks, are Boat Bunnies.

Course i haven't seen a single one at any dock i been to in OR.

kaneboats
06-30-2009, 11:18 AM
In the old dirt biking days we called em "pit tootsies".

ian ashton
06-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Finding a spotter on the weekends is never tough, its finding a spotter on a Tuesday when there are chances of rain that we choose to ride without.

OUr lake is ~1,300 acres, and on the weekend there are between 3 and 5 police boats out. I haven't gotten stopped this year, but last season we were stopped twice, just while cruising. I think we haven't gotten stopped this year because they are now in our marina, and I chat with them frequently.