PDA

View Full Version : lake cumberland,dale hollow questions

moombadaze
06-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Thinking about a road trip to either or both lakes next summer.

Are there campgrounds around the lakes?

Any idea on how long a drive it is timewise between campsites for both lakes?

Is it worth the drive from the middle of florida--maybe 14hrs oneway?

Any "gotta do/see" things around the lakes?

thanks

Just starting to think of the next Moomba adventure for next year.

Suprahunter
06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
We just got back from Barron River Lake not far from Cumberland and Dale. Had a great time plenty of camping good ramps water temp 84 degrees.
Google what ever lake you choose and you will get plenty of info. Its only a 6 hour drive for me I will go back.

kaneboats
06-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Daze, I'm thinking about taking one over by Cary, NC. It's not quite as far and the lakes are beautiful.

moombadaze
06-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Daze, I'm thinking about taking one over by Cary, NC. It's not quite as far and the lakes are beautiful.

what lake? camping?

Geoffrey18
06-27-2009, 04:11 PM
We have taken a trip to Dale Hollow the past 2 yrs and I have not seen any camping. Of course the Hollow is a big lake and we were only on a small part of it. We rented a house boat both yrs though. The lake is very nice and peaceful,,very deep and very beautiful. Good bass fishing as well. We went the end of may this yr and the water was pretty cold then.

james yarosz
06-27-2009, 07:52 PM
We have been going to Dale Hollow for 15 years now.Never camped, always rented a houseboat.If you Goggle Dale hollow marinas I know several have campgrounds that come with boat slips.If you want calm water I'd stay away from Cumberland,too many big cruisers.

Reese350
06-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey Stacy,

I promise you wouldn't be dissapointed with Lake Cumberland. It's an incredible lake. I'm not sure about camp sites but there are definately cabins for rent at really reasonable rates. If you get a few people to go, renting a houseboat and just staying on the water is the way to go.

Check out www.statedock.com. There are probably a dozen or so marinas you could check out around the lake. I think there are something like 1,200 miles of shoreline with 66k acres of water. Plenty of water for everyone.

We love it...

Scott

Sled491
06-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Daze, that's why you thought I had been. I was planning a trip with ChadM from the boards here this year. Campgrounds with cabins was the route we were going. Had to back out though because we are heading to Fort Lauderdale for the TKD Nationals. PM Chad he'll hook you up. If your thinking next year we still want to go. About 9 - 10 hrs for us, very doable:)

patrick232
06-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Coming from the sunshine state I would look at Norris Lake, it's right on I75 about 30 mintues north of Knoxville. It's less of a party lake the Cumberland, just as big as Cumberland and bigger than Dale. The one great thing is that your boat is right outside your cabin, house, or condo. If you want to camp they have all kids from the state park to primitive camp sites.

moombadaze
06-29-2009, 01:59 PM
If your thinking next year we still want to go. About 9 - 10 hrs for us, very doable:)

That would be fun, something to think about.

gus 08 mobius lsv
06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
been to lake norris twice and cumberland twice. lake norris is really calm you can find a nice area where your wont' run into anyone . we got a houseboat from flat hollow marina and people there were super nice and really friendly. people at cumberland were kinda rude to the out of staters unless u go to the state dock. we went to cumberland second week of june this year and there was a lot of floating junk in the water that u had to dodge...keep that in mind

kaneboats
06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Norris looks really good to me. Put me down for 4-5 days some time in July.

moombadaze
07-01-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.mountainlakemarina.com/

looks to have a little of everthing and easy to get to

july 2010 ?

ajmoritz17
07-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Im actually getting ready to head down to dale hollow tonight from ohio. I love it there...this weekend will be a little bit diff being a holiday weekend but anyother time you go you can find glass anywhere at any given time. the people there are super friendly and there is a huge rope swing there!
________
religion forum (http://www.religionboard.org/)

tprkolbas
07-01-2009, 09:38 AM
i've done the cumberland trip 3 times thru statedock. always had a great time. it is as much of a party lake as you want it to be - you can find a cove & keep to yourself or you can go where everyone parties. the water does get choppy in the afternoon - but you can usually find a cove with calm water. i'd recommend the trip to cumberland to anyone.

kaneboats
07-01-2009, 10:25 AM
july 2010 ?

I think that works for me. I just want to go somewhere new every summer so the kids get different experiences.

TN_Boarder
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Dale Hollow is my home lake and I'm yet to find a lake in this area that even comes close to it. I may be a bit biased but I think you would have a hard time finding a lake nicer, cleaner, or more beautiful than Dale Hollow. It does get a bit crowded on the holiday weekends but it's a big lake with plenty of water for everyone. If you come on a non-holiday or stay through the week, you won't have any problem finding seclusion.

There are tons of marinas and restaraunts on the water. If you want a houseboat or cabin right on the water, check out Eagles Cove. If you want to camp (tent or camper) right on the water, try Lilly Dale or Willow Grove. Dale Hollow State Resort Park is a beautiful area with hiking trails, horse trails, and the best golf course in the area. They also have lodging and camping but not right on the water. There are lots of beautiful cabins/houses for rent around the State Park area also if your not dead set on being right on the water. Dale Hollow is surrounded mainly by hills so you're hard pressed to find lots of actual lake cabins/houses. Most people that come rent houseboats. The previously mentioned spots are some of the few that are on the water.

I've personally never been on Lake Cumberland even though I'm this close. It's just not worth the extra drive time when I can be on one of, if not the, nicest lakes around in Dale Hollow. If you decide to come, be sure to look me up. I can show you the party coves, the peaceful coves, the slalom course, and the 40 ft cliffs if you feel like taking a plunge.

If there are any other questions I can answer, lemme know......

kaneboats
07-01-2009, 12:09 PM
We definitely appreciate the insider information on all these places. I like to tent camp right on the water so I can keep the boat at the campsite. I'd go for 4-5 days so we would get some "during the week" time to get great riding in.

patrick232
07-03-2009, 08:50 AM
You might want to steer clear of www.mountainlakemarina.com and the 2 others the Williows Group owns. The first week of June my dad had a weekend booked at there rv park with a 40' pusher. They took his booking and the rv park was not even open. Not until the got down there did the tell him this. To me that is just wrong. I can book you early for the 2010 season in out condo just let me know. It sleeps 9.

rvette
07-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Been to Dale Hollow on average 3 times per year for the past several. Very nice, clean lake. Several of the marinas have camping facilities. I have personally seen that Star Point has a few spots right on the waters edge and there is a campground next to Sunset Marina both locations are on the east side of the lake. There is also a camping area near the dam and Cedar Hill Resort on the west end of the lake.
Don't think you can go wrong here.
I have also been on Center Hill Lake and have a trip planned there later this year. It is very similar to Dale Hollow and located between Knoxville and Nashville off of I-40. Take the time to research that area for campgrounds.
Hope this helps!