PDA

View Full Version : Spider Cracks Around Snaps Normal?

bjames
06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I just noticed 2 very small spider cracks radiating out from the cover snaps. These cracks look like a peice of hair and measure approx 3/4" to 1.25" long. Is this normal and to be expected? The boat has only been out on the water 4 times since I got it new a feqw weeks ago.

zabooda
06-25-2009, 06:21 PM
There is a trick to drilling into the jellcoat and if that wasn't done right then the cracks will appear.

mmandley
06-25-2009, 06:43 PM
I just noticed 2 very small spider cracks radiating out from the cover snaps. These cracks look like a peice of hair and measure approx 3/4" to 1.25" long. Is this normal and to be expected? The boat has only been out on the water 4 times since I got it new a feqw weeks ago.

You know i hate to say it BJ but this LSV hasn't been so nice to you it seems. I hear more about your issues then your pleasures?

Are you pleased with the boat itself? Or are you regretting your change?

bjames
06-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Actually so far I am quite happy with it. Keeping optimistic, I look at this as just working out the bugs;). Im am pretty confident that if by any chance I got stuck with a lemmon, my dealer would at least do their best to support me - as they have doen in the past.

mmandley
06-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Actually so far I am quite happy with it. Keeping optimistic, I look at this as just working out the bugs;). Im am pretty confident that if by any chance I got stuck with a lemmon, my dealer would at least do their best to support me - as they have doen in the past.

Ok great awesome man. I was only asking because i haven't seen you praising it lately and i know you were stoked about the LF Edition boat. I know i would be stoked and when i got mine i had a few little bugs to work out and never thought once that i wasn't pleased, i just figured its like a new car, a few trips to the dealer to fix what not.

bjames
06-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Here is a photo...

mmandley
06-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Thats shweet man. I like that winch system you have it looks like the ones on a Supra. Looks much beefier then the one on the normal LSV.

Sled491
06-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey all boats have quirks.

Here is a history of my buddies Supra.

His first one was a 24 Sunsport V. It had soo many spider cracks they sent it back to the factory for repair at the end of the season. They pulled the top off and redid the hull. When they put the top and bottom back together they did not get is lined up right but sent it back to him anyway. He refused the boat and was offered a brand new 22 SSV world games edition (some of my pics have this boat in it). Smaller boat but brand new and all the bling in the world. Since getting this boat he has had the whole interior replaced (apperently one of like 12 in the country that had vinyl problems), his factory sub has gone the way of the dodo and now he is getting the usual spider crack problem. Oh yeah and his ballast system is a 50/50 shot when trying to fill without tearing everything apart to find out why one bag isn't filling or emptying. In fact we had to pull all the fittings off a couple of his sacs last weekend and let them drain into the bilge because the drain pumps would work.

This is a 70k boat and still has issues. I small problem here and there seems kind of trivial compared to this, and yet every weekend my buddy is just thrilled to be out on his boat:)

bjames
06-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Thats good to here he still has fun with his boat... Thast why im not too concerned with some of the issues.. I can deal with some minor quirks as long as it doesnt take away from my enjoyment on the lake.;)

Form&Function
06-26-2009, 11:27 PM
We have about fifty hours on our lsv now and as of yet there are no spider cracks.I look everytime we wipe the boat down.Pulling the damaged snaps and grinding the surface gell larger than the screws will keep them from getting worse.

insanepolack
06-27-2009, 03:04 AM
There is a trick to drilling into the jellcoat and if that wasn't done right then the cracks will appear.

What is the trick???

Sled491
06-28-2009, 09:57 PM
the trick is to start drilling the hole with the drill running in reverse.

zabooda
06-28-2009, 10:53 PM
If you don't drill that way the rivits or screws puts pressure on the gelcoat. By drilling the gelcoat wider, the rivits or screws are exerting pressure only on the fiberglass underneath. Whoever installed the snaps should have known that as that is a basic rule.