PDA

View Full Version : tazz3069

moombadaze
06-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Wondering if you got your ballast fill working properly--the vented lines?

tazz3069
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I wish. I should be getting my new hose today. I already have the vented loops ready to install. Right now my boat is taken apart. All the floor boards are out right now. I did this for two reasons: First, I needed to extend the hose to the front ballast. I am installing the vented loop under the driver side dash. Second, I noticed the hose was really pinched between the gas tank and floor board. I am hoping to get it all together before the weekend. My buddies want to hit the lake this weekend. I will post pictures of the process as I go along. I already found a great spot in the rear of the boat for the vented loops to go I just need extra hose to go to the new pumps I put in. I waiting long enough for all the material. Now that I have everything I need, its time to get my arse in gear and finish.

gf5300
06-25-2009, 06:11 PM
tazz,
How many scoops do you have under the boat?
If less than one per tank, how are you going to split the flow?
Thanks.

tazz3069
06-25-2009, 08:01 PM
GF--
I have 3 1" scoops under the boat. I remove the existing, which I found out is 3/4". I purchased a 1" carbide hole saw to cut into the fiberglass. It was like a hot knife through butter. Now I just got the hose I need to finish the project. I will attack it this weekend. I really hope that it work. I mean after all that I did to the boat.

Waynes345
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
GF--
I have 3 1" scoops under the boat. I remove the existing, which I found out is 3/4". I purchased a 1" carbide hole saw to cut into the fiberglass. It was like a hot knife through butter. Now I just got the hose I need to finish the project. I will attack it this weekend. I really hope that it work. I mean after all that I did to the boat.

Man, it takes stones to drill through the bottom of the boat. I had to work up the nerve just to drill for my cleats. I can't imagine drilling 1" holes in the bottom. I think I'll stick with skiing and I only have to worry about tightening up the pylon once in a while!

tazz3069
06-26-2009, 07:37 AM
yes, i was a bit nervous. I must have checked and measure and check and measured and check several times until I drilled the holes. Used the marine silicone/sealant and it was perfect. when I water tested for leaks, everything was fine.

gf5300
07-02-2009, 03:36 PM
tazz3069,
The whole world is watching!!!
Any update on the vented loops?
Thanks.

tazz3069
07-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Still waiting for the weather to get better. The new plumbing is finished. I need to post the pictures of what I did. I hope to take it to the lake sometime this week. I go on vacation next Saturday and would love to get all the bugs out before we go. I also have pictures of my LED lights that I did at the same time.

moombadaze
07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Tazz, any updates???

tazz3069
07-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Ok guys, here is the updated. The pumps are tons faster. I did run into a small problem though. When I emptied the bags, and went on my way, the bags filled by themselves. Very upset again. I called Jason from wakemakers.com to ask him about what had happened. He told me that it might be the scuppers I had installed. He is now sending me 1" thru Hull brass fittings. I will post again when testing. Maybe next week. It all depends when I get the fittings.

gf5300
07-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Tazz,
I just got my vented loops and I am thinking not to go through the trouble of even installing them and just sending them back.
I thought that these things were a sure thing.
What kind of scoops do you have? Why would it matter? I thought it would take a huge amount of pressure to overcome these things.
Were these things actually tested before being endosed by the seller?
Although not as extensive as your setup, I too plumbed for direct filling and by reading your posts it is looking more and more like the home depot valves are going back in, They may be slow but they have been proven to work.

moombadaze
07-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Tazz, did you try grinding the scoop's off 1st, I still think you are on the right path. Trial and error can be so fun:rolleyes:

gf5300
07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Well, these are my observations:

1. Irritrol valves - they worked great for me. The are a very significant improvement over the stock valves while keeping the bags from filling when not in use. Currently, I am running my BIS and center locker with these valves.
2. Vented loops - while I did notice a significant decrease in the filling rate over a straight (no valve) connection when the pumps are off and filling was not desired, they still let water through. I think that in the course of 20 minutes or so, the amount of water was significant enough to turn on the drain pump. Not good enough for me. I had one of the rear lockers hooked up to the vented loop and the other one was a straight connection to the pump. Each bag had its own pump (Tsunami 800).

I am now decided to do an all Irritol (the 3/4 inch type) set up. Fortunately when I did my upgrade (went from a gravity I to IV) I run all the plumbing and electrical for the extra valves in case the vented loop thing did not work out.
I hope that helps you guys.

moombadaze
07-20-2009, 09:33 AM
1. Irritol valves - they worked great for me. .

gf5300, can you tell me more about these valves and where you picked them up from. I think you are the 2nd person to mention them and I may still change my filling setup.

thanks
Stacy

gf5300
07-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Here is the link to the specs:
http://www.irritrol.com/valves/valves_700s.html

Here is the pdf:
http://www.irritrol.com/pdf/sellsheet_700.pdf

You can google shop them. Plenty of vendors out there.
I think it was JesseC who found them and did some home testing on them with actual comparisions between the Irritrols, stock valves and direct pump to bag connections.
You can probably search his posts to read his findings.
I used the 3/4 inch model. I think somebody used the 1 inch model and did not prevent backflow.
I am pretty satisfied with the results. Other that using these valves, I will quit trying to reinvent the wheel.
Hope that helps.
Here is a vendor link:
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IR-700B-75

tazz3069
07-21-2009, 11:01 PM
I have not been home to grind off the scuppers. I am waiting for my thru hull fittings to come in. I have been in San Diego for a few days in training for my new solar business. The fittings should be in soon. I hope to work on it this weekend. If this does not work, then i will have to go back to the old way with the valves. I just might go with the irritol valves also. Really not sure what I want to do just yet. Yes it is fun to tinker with the boat. I just do not like the money that I am putting in to it to do all these test. Funny thing is, I am probably going to sell the boat at the end of the season to get another one. Maybe a Supra 24SSV or the 22SSV. Not sure yet.

tazz3069
08-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Well it has been about 3 weeks now and still no thru hull fitting from www.wakemakers.com I kind of think these guys are a little over their heads with this business. I have order a few things from them and got nothing but excuses on why the parts are not there. Well they did it again. I talked with Jason a few weeks ago and told him my problem with the vented loops. I also told him that I had the scuppers. He told me that he would send out 3 new 1" thru Hull fittings to replace the scuppers. As I expected, no parts have arrived. I am just going to grind them off as another member did here. He has, almost, the same setup as I do. He grinded off the scuppers and said everything works perfect. I can not wait anymore. Off to the grinding wheel I go.
Tazz

moombadaze
08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Hate to say it but i also have not had the best response from wakemakers--sent them a email and no reply, possible tho that its some kind of email block here at work.

tazz3069
08-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I do not think it is your work computer. I have sent them emails and left messages from my home computer. I also have not received any call back nor response.

moombadaze
08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Well then glad to know its just not me. Bummer as they could get a lot of business from here i think.

mmandley
08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I got those 2 new 750s for my boat and i called the number on Jasons site and no answer it sent me to a fax machine every time. Hes local to me but i don't know where his shop is or id go see WTF is up.

Ahh well. I am only waiting on fitting to try these new bags, AWS said they have some so ill see if i can get my new ones from them and get those bags installed this weekend.

tazz3069
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I think that we need to go back to www.wakeside.com They have the exact same stuff over there. I bet they answer the phone also.

I remember, when I was on vacation, and I had problems with my ballast system that they told me to put together. I got back to the camp sight and called Jason at Wakemakers. Low and behold, he answered the phone. I explained the problem and he said that he would take care of it at no charge. The call was made about 3 weeks ago. Still waiting for the new parts to come in. I since then tried to call them and no answer. I figure if they can not answer the phone during business hours, then they do not deserve our business. I think their idea was great in starting this business, but the up keep was alot. OH WELL!!!!

tazz3069
08-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I just finish modifying my scuppers. I could not wait for Jason for wakemakers anymore. I cut the scoops off the scuppers. I wanted to keep the screen to keep debris out of my pumps. I hope this works.

Tazz