PDA

View Full Version : Help Name My Boat

jmaustin
06-24-2009, 01:46 PM
So, I bought my 02 Mobius LSV last fall and have been scratching my head over what to name it. Let me hear some good ones.

mmandley
06-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Mala

Its the female version of Malo

Means Villain, mean one, bad

ian ashton
06-24-2009, 01:58 PM
It has been said that its bad luck to name a ski boat.

flex
06-24-2009, 02:09 PM
according to wakeboarding mag, it's not cool to not name your boat. check the july issue out, there are a few suggestions; even a pic of a moomba.

jmaustin
06-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Good thing I got rid of my ski boat last year and bought a Wakeboard Boat Ian:)

Flex, I've never been cool so I should be fine.

sandm
06-24-2009, 02:24 PM
I heard you should within a week of taking posession.
we just finally settled on a name early this spring after 18 months of ownership, although it was suggested in the first few weeks.
it's "the short boat".
hoping it doesn't offend anyone, but oh well..
sis thought of it as it kind of resembles a school bus with the orange and black combo.

zegm
06-24-2009, 02:52 PM
My offshore boat is called "SlyFox", it was named that when I bought it. I was going to rename it (wife hates that name) when some old sea salts told me that you have to perform a certain ceremony to rename a boat or it will bring bad luck. Not believing them I did some research, this is where I found out what the ceremony was and also that you don't name inboard ski boats!
SO!!! Our Moomba just says Moomba and the Offshore boat is still the Slyfox.

Now if you are always in a shallow lake and there are plenty of people who could tow you home then you might chance it. I decided not too! ;)

flex
06-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Good thing I got rid of my ski boat last year and bought a Wakeboard Boat Ian:)

Flex, I've never been cool so I should be fine.
diddo on the wakeboard boat. sold my fish n ski and bought my first wakeboard boat this week; can't wait to get it in.

Geaux Tigers!!

jmvotto
06-24-2009, 03:46 PM
"Mobi" There, that should not put a hex on anything.;)

SoTX
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Our last name is Major so........

mmandley
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Good looking boat SO_TX whats on your exhaust? I see its linked together and going down? I seen an MB i think it was like this. Whats it for and whats its purpose?

tlatoani
06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Good looking boat SO_TX whats on your exhaust? I see its linked together and going down? I seen an MB i think it was like this. Whats it for and whats its purpose?

It's a fresh air exhaust (FAE) that is used to reduce the exhaust for a wakesurfer. Sucking tailpipe is not good for you.

lancesaville
06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
After all the stereo upgrades I did on mine, I almost named it 'wake & shake' but went with 'tha green monstah' since the boat is lime green, and I'm also a red sox fan. Tough to name a blue and white one tho, I'll post back if I think of anything good....

Sled491
06-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Yeah its and FAE. There are no shortage of threads on them. Some surfers get real bad head aches from the exhaust from there boats. I haven't yet, but with 3 little ones I always have a headache anyways:)

mmandley
06-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah its and FAE. There are no shortage of threads on them. Some surfers get real bad head aches from the exhaust from there boats. I haven't yet, but with 3 little ones I always have a headache anyways:)

So is this an upgrade kit you buy? Or you jsut make it? It looks pretty interesting and so fare i cant surf long enought to worry about fumes LOL. Maybe in time when i get good, or at least better

sandm
06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
if you have the 340cat motor, don't opt for fae.
I noticed the exhaust issues behind my buddies tige(the only other boat I have surfed behind), but I have ridden for 20-30 minutes at a time(not without being picked up a couple of times) with our cat motor and I don't notice any lightheadedness or dizzyness..

volfo
06-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I read the carbon monoxide study linked on Larry Mann's (?) website. It appeared to me from that, that the risk of carbon dioxide to a surfer was minimal to nonexistent once up and outside the wake. Much greater risk to someone sitting right at the back of the boat, however.

Also, it indicated that even at 60 feet, there remains a high concentration, high enough to be potentially dangerous, right behind the boat at and close to water level. It made me much more concerned for the kids kneeboarding (my daughter likes to ride it on her stomach like a boogie board with the hydro hook in it) right behind the boat or tubing (which we rarely do). Instead of letting them do that for very long periods of time, I try to get them to cut back and forth and cruise outside the wake and we take breaks and make them switch more often. I'd love to get FAE and they have a good price on it now (I think $100 off?) but after installing the tower, the cargo bimini, getting the seadek pad, buying and installing a new lift (this week), and ordering ballast I'm just not up for another project right now. It looks like a bit of a project and while i can do those projects, I'm not the most handy person at them. I go slow and it takes me awhile.

The kids have been tubing and kneeboarding behind the boat for a couple years now and no complaints/headaches, etc. I believe the study, but I also tend to think it's much adeiu about nothing - or very little.

kaneboats
06-25-2009, 01:15 PM
A couple of boats ago I came across the name I wanted so I christened the boat I was selling as "Never Again". So then the new boat had the name I wanted: "Never Again II"

Sled491
06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah FAE is an aftermarket, and comes with everything you need to install. It is supposed to be very well put together. Only draw back is that one of the brackets is bolted right to your swim platform which makes removing your platform if you need to kind of a hassel.

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
06-26-2009, 11:04 AM
We call our boat Moomba

eseebeck
06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
that's funny, my boat is also named Moomba.

I have heard naming an inboard is bad karma. that is the last thing i need. It is probably fine, but it's just fun to keep the old tales alive and well. Like christening. I think I'll start a new thread about it.

find me there!!

KurtL
06-26-2009, 01:20 PM
So Tex,
how do you like your endless wave surf rack? I just put mine on. I see yours is mounted way to the side. Pulled a boarder last weekend and the surf boards were in the way.

We also have not named the boat other than referring to it as "she" or "her", apparently it's a girl!?

zegm
06-26-2009, 01:28 PM
eessebeck,

I live in a saltwater fishing town surrounded by freshwater lakes. It IS OK to name an inboard provided it is in saltwater! But NO one names their freshwater inboards! I have never seen one named so what ever the bad juu juu is I don't want to cross it!

Our boat is Named Moomba LS.

:D

SoTX
06-30-2009, 12:36 PM
So Tex,
how do you like your endless wave surf rack? I just put mine on. I see yours is mounted way to the side. Pulled a boarder last weekend and the surf boards were in the way.

We also have not named the boat other than referring to it as "she" or "her", apparently it's a girl!?

I bought mine several years ago and its a bit different than the new ones, but I love it. I do not have a problem with the boards being in the way. In fact when I bought mine they did not have one that would fit around the large tubing used on my XLV tower, so I had to do my own modification to make it work. lol

SEARK
06-30-2009, 05:04 PM
I thought the boats came pre-named? Mine is "Moomba The Official Towboat of the Gravity Games".

meech
06-30-2009, 11:38 PM
go with pink seeker

jjolson
07-01-2009, 12:26 AM
name it "double up" but have it written like this:
e
l
b
u
o
d

or you could get a vinyl like this
up up

Makes for good conversational piece. I realize that the double written up will be hard to do in a small area but is original. Or you could use Rusty's quote where he said he wanted to get "punted" and call it "The Punter" Remember the old license plates CUL8TR you could do Throw U L8TR.

Anyways I will try to think of some others.

Mobidick
07-01-2009, 01:18 AM
I think its okay to give your boat a name as long as you DON'T put the name on the boat.