PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't start - batteries test ok

gossman
06-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I store my 06 LSV down at my parent's place on Tablerock Lake in southern Missouri. That's about 4.5 hours away from where we live. Hence...I'm hoping for some suggestions on what to check next week when we go down for the 4th holiday.

Last time I was down I installed the batteries which had been charging over the winter. They were low and barely got it cranked. The boat ran good and the batteries seem to fully chage. When I left, I left the batteries on a trickle charge. Recently, I called & asked my dad to try starting the boat to make sure the batteries were charging. He says it didn't even crank.

I had him pull the batteries and take them in to have them tested. They show charged and holding a charge.

I'm hoping it is something simple but wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Thanks so much for replying!

Razzman
06-23-2009, 01:38 PM
First two things i'd check are 1) is it in neutral? Easy mistake to make and 2) is the safety lanyard connected? Also easy to knock loose. Then, do all the electrics come on? Are the batteries making a solid ground? If so then check the main breaker on the engine.

gossman
06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the response. It's frustrating not having the boat nearby to check it myself. I guess I'll just have to wait and see for myself when I go down next week.

My dad said he had it in neutral & he checked the safety lanyard. He actually called on his cell when in the boat & those were the two items I thought of to have him check.

I called him after receiving your reply to ask about other electronics. He said he tried honking the horn and that didn't work. He says all of the battery cables were very tight so I should have had a good ground. I guess I'll have to try figuring it out next week and hope we didn't take friends to the lake to just look at the boat! : )

mmandley
06-23-2009, 03:13 PM
As Razz said check all the breakers and the knife breaker generally right by the batteries. This is a huge problem as in nothing works. So generally its an easy fix because it has to be something common to everything in the boat.

Check at the starter for voltage, if you have it and it doesn't crank then you can check neutral safety switch on the trans, < thread about this > also check breakers, check the connection on your ignition switch, no horn makes me think the main power to the boat is off so breaker by the batteries.

If i was you look at every thread on no starts, no cranks, no electrical on this site, print them out and bring tools, go prepared because if you have every possible thing you need, you will scare the gremlin away when you walk up to the boat and it will start and run no problem.

snowboardcorey
06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I'd double check to make sure you have all of the battery cables connected. I've seen people hook up a negative and positive but miss a secondary positive connection this can cause anything from the boat starting but not shutting off to not starting at all to just some accessories not working.

If you have multiple batteries make sure they are connected correctly and the switch is on.

gossman
06-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the info! I called a nearby Mastercraft dealer yesterday and they just happened to have a mechanic headed over to our dock today so they said they'd take a look. I just called my dad to see if they have been by yet and he said they looked at the boat and said the starter is out!!! I haven't spoke to the mechanic yet but I'm pretty disappointed if that's the case. A 2006 that's only been used 4-5 weekends a year for 2 or 3 years. I'd be surprised if that boat's been started more than 100 times including killing it when people are getting in/out of the water. I've got no idea what this is going to cost. I'll look for a thread on "bad starter on an almost new boat." Thanks again!

mmandley
06-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Seems from the threads a new Marine starter will run about 100 to 160. The reason they are going bad isnt the use, its the environment causing the bushing to rust and go bad.

Even when your not using it, its a very humid area because of the water, its a bad fact of life starters dont last long on these boats.