PDA

View Full Version : bilge light stays on but won't pump

gossman
06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me! I've got an 06 LSV. Last summer my bilge started acting up. The light would come on the bilge switch on the dash but it wasn't pumping. It would stay on since there was water in the engine compartment making the float lift to the on position.

I thought it was the bilge. Contacted MOOMBA but it was out of warranty. Contracted the manufacturer of the bilge pump and they were quick to send me a replacement. Went down and installed the new one and am having the exact same problem.

Any ideas????

Razzman
06-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Well if you've replaced the pump then i'd say it's possibly an obstruction in the hose. Of course that's given that the pump is actually pumping? Have you flipped the switch and then checked the pump for power and such? Suction?

gossman
06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
The pump is not pumping. I've taken it out of the braket that holds it to the hull and pushed the float up myself. Nothing. The light comes on on the dash that shows it is on but it is not pumping. But since this is now 2 pumps that have done the same thing, it's go to be something electrical...I would think???

Razzman
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Test the continuity at the terminals, i'm guessing you have a loose wire somewhere. I'm assuming you pushed the breaker at the switch correct? Check the wires behind the switch and make sure of connection.

barefooterh2o
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
There should be 3 wires to the pump. One is ground. 1 is 12 volts all the time and 1 is 12 volts only when switch is manually on. Use a test light or digital volt meter to check.

ian ashton
06-23-2009, 04:44 PM
I was having a similar problem with mine, except that it would stay on all the time, and continually pump (even when the ignition was off) causing the battery to die overnight. It turned out to be carpet stuck in the float, the dealer replaced the pump under warranty and I haven't had a problem since.

gossman
06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
A mechanic from a nearby Mastercraft dealership went to our dock today and looked at the boat. He says the ground is bad but he doesn't know where. Anybody know where the ground wire on the bilge runs to (too hard to track it all the way to origin) or have any suggestions on how to run it to a new ground location?

zabooda
06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Run your own ground wire then it doesn't matter what happens with the original ground.

gossman
07-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Ran a new ground wire and it's working like a champ!

kaneboats
07-17-2009, 04:44 PM
I replaced mine a week ago after the light would stay on and the pump wouldn't pump anything. I got it unstuck but it was just so old it was junk. New one works great.

SC_LSV
07-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Anyone ever run into a problem with the Bilge Auto-on? My bilge works fine when manually turned on, but recently the auto on feature has stopped working. How does this work, Ball float?

mmandley
07-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Yes its a float style pump, Most likely the float is sticking, when you hit the switch it bypasses and just turns on the power.

kaneboats
07-21-2009, 09:42 AM
It likely got stuck on and blew its own separate fuse.

gcnettl
07-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Most of the pumps I have seen are the Sahara pumps, 750 GPH. You may buy a new one at wal mart. So far I have replaced two in my 05. Once the float switch internal to the pump quit working, and once the impeller was so tangled with fine debris that had made itself into a fine rope eventually gummed it up.

There are two power sources, one always on, and one routed from the switch. As long as you have accessory power on your boat, one wire should be hot, one wire grounded, and one wire neutral, or at least not 12v. When the manual switch is on, you should have two hot wires and one ground. As long as you have that, then the only problem would be that the float switch internal to the pump has gone out, and the pump needs to be replaced.